5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Press Articles & Your Comments (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/)
-   -   BMW reply to Swedish test. (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/bmw-reply-swedish-test-17901/)

Robbo 11-01-2005 05:45 AM

Hi all,

It seems that the Swedish Car Mag. Teknikens Varld got their test shoved right back up their...

http://www.bmw.se/523i/

http://www.bmw.se/523i/pages/BMW_523...moose_test.pdf

Click on "Watch the movie" on the right.

Who can we trust, BMW or a magazine?
None the less, the car looked really good in BMW's test.

/R

Edlee 11-01-2005 06:10 AM

Well then, another set of doubters put in their place.

subterFUSE 11-01-2005 07:53 AM

I told all you guys they rigged that test. :cool:

Now those Swedes can go hang their heads in shame. :thumbsup:

colejl 11-01-2005 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Robbo' date='Nov 1 2005, 02:45 PM
Who can we trust, BMW or a magazine?

BMW of course... :think:

Jeffs 11-01-2005 08:23 AM

wow....look at the car negotiating the cones....simply amazing stuff. Though I hope I never run into such situation, the knowledge that my car can handle so well makes me feel safer.... :thumbsup:

JDN 11-01-2005 11:12 AM

That was about the same as telling them, "Up yours!" :))

UUronL 11-01-2005 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Nov 1 2005, 03:12 PM
That was about the same as telling them, "Up yours!" :))
[snapback]191983[/snapback]

Hahahahaha. There's an actual ISO test for this stuff? That's pretty interesting.

Also, big case of "taking your ball and going home" here:

"Teknikens Varld's test driver was offered the opportunity to carry out the moose test but refused."

znod 11-01-2005 11:21 AM

I don't find the play the movie link. Where is it, more specifically?

JDN 11-01-2005 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by donv' date='Nov 1 2005, 02:21 PM
I don't find the play the movie link. Where is it, more specifically?
[snapback]191989[/snapback]

On the right hand side of the linked page, looks like test until you hover.

znod 11-01-2005 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Nov 1 2005, 03:44 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Nov 1 2005, 02:21 PM']I don't find the play the movie link. Where is it, more specifically?
[snapback]191989[/snapback]

On the right hand side of the linked page, looks like test until you hover.
[snapback]192007[/snapback]
[/quote]I found it. Thanks.

ipp 11-01-2005 01:57 PM

Here is Teknikens V?rlds movies:

This board's software adds http:// in the link. Before you can see the clip, you have to remove http:// in the address bar.

High Quality: mms://qstream-wm.qbrick.com/04755/BMW/0522_bmw_high.wmv
Low Quality: mms://qstream-wm.qbrick.com/04755/BMW/0522_bmw_low.wmv

Click, or in Windows mediaplayer: File -> Open URL...

The first run is with DSC on and the second with it off. They are running the car with maximum load.

I think the result is ok, as allways with BMWs; little over steering. Maybe they should program the DSC system to work a little harder when it's on. I mean, if you wanna play you can allways disable it.

UUronL 11-01-2005 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 05:57 PM
Here is Teknikens V?rlds movies:

High Quality: mms://qstream-wm.qbrick.com/04755/BMW/0522_bmw_high.wmv
Low Quality: mms://qstream-wm.qbrick.com/04755/BMW/0522_bmw_low.wmv

Click, or in Windows mediaplayer: File -> Open URL...

The first run is with DSC on and the second with it off. They are running the car with maximum load.

I think the result is ok, as allways with BMWs; little over steering. Maybe they should program the DSC system to work a little harder when it's on. I mean, if you wanna play you can allways disable it.
[snapback]192079[/snapback]

Why repost these flawed tests? It's over and done with.

ipp 11-01-2005 02:13 PM

Ok, if you say so... But I'm not that kind of person that swallows everthing without thinking. Just because I bought somthing it doesn't automatically means it's the best/right choice. That BMW makes this big thing out of this; makes it more suspective than if they just ignored it. Will you tell me what was "flawed" with that first test, then I'll sleep good to night...

katheikia 11-01-2005 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 07:13 PM
Ok, if you say so... But I'm not that kind of person that swallows everthing without thinking. Just because I bought somthing it doesn't automatically means it's the best/right choice. That BMW makes this big thing out of this; makes it more suspective than if they just ignored it. Will you tell me what was "flawed" with that first test, then I'll sleep good to night...
[snapback]192093[/snapback]

You can not ignore mistakes about your product!!!! The first test shows the car with DSC OFF !!! This feature comes standard!!! Its meant to be on for this kind of maneuvering!!! :badbad:

ipp 11-01-2005 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by katheikia' date='Nov 2 2005, 12:28 AM
You can not ignore mistakes about your product!!!! The first test shows the car with DSC OFF !!! This feature comes standard!!! Its meant to be on for this kind of maneuvering!!!? :badbad:
[snapback]192108[/snapback]

I think I'm better at understanding swedish than you (correct me if I'm wrong). The first test is with DSC on, the second with it off. (He says it)

I know it's a well balanced car, but I also think that the DSC system is allowing too much drifting to be safe. If I'm driving with 4 passenger and some load, I don't want my car to behave like that.

katheikia 11-01-2005 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 07:36 PM
[quote name='katheikia' date='Nov 2 2005, 12:28 AM']You can not ignore mistakes about your product!!!! The first test shows the car with DSC OFF !!! This feature comes standard!!! Its meant to be on for this kind of maneuvering!!!? :badbad:
[snapback]192108[/snapback]

I think I'm better at understanding swedish than you (correct me if I'm wrong). The first test is with DSC on, the second with it off. (He says it)

I know it's a well balanced car, but I also think that the DSC system is allowing too much drifting to be safe. If I'm driving with 4 passenger and some load, I don't want my car to behave like that.
[snapback]192109[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh, sorry, I must have seen the tests in the wrong order. I cant understand any swedish (so that didnt help me), I can speak fluent greek :oops:

ipp 11-01-2005 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by katheikia' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:14 AM
Oh, sorry, I must have seen the tests in the wrong order.? I cant understand any swedish (so that didnt help me), I can speak fluent greek :oops:
[snapback]192128[/snapback]

:lol:

UUronL 11-01-2005 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 06:13 PM
[snapback]192093[/snapback]

I don't swallow everything without some thought either. I guess you're right... perhaps I've placed too much credence on the BMW video? Or perhaps I've assigned too much weight to the vivid imagery of the original tester's refusal to drive the course with BMW present. Oh wait, no - it was the fact that there's a better test that's ISO certified, the VDA test - and the number of times the 5 has successfully passed it in the hands of automotive journalists.

It looks to me as if the driver in the original video swerves and then maintains a straight path a bit longer before turning in than the BMW driver in the BMW video. The course was navigated differently. I think this variation is what caused the car to swerve. As to the assertion that the VDA test expunges non-uniformities such as these, I'll have to defer. Certainly the ISO backing lends credence to the claims that VDA is a superior test.

Forgive me, but I can't help but suspect you are resistant to swallowing more than just the BMW data... a bit of nationalistic pride perhaps?

I've readily admitted my bias in other threads on this matter. It's against the media. American media has had at least two very high-profile blunders connected to auto safety testing. We're no better, probably worse so please don't see this as hypocrisy.

ipp 11-01-2005 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:46 AM
I don't swallow everything without some thought either.? I guess you're right... perhaps I've placed too much credence on the BMW video?? Or perhaps I've assigned too much weight to the vivid imagery of the original tester's refusal to drive the course with BMW present.? Oh wait, no - it was the fact that there's a better test that's ISO certified, the VDA test - and the number of times the 5 has successfully passed it in the hands of automotive journalists.?

It looks to me as if the driver in the original video swerves and then maintains a straight path a bit longer before turning in than the BMW driver in the BMW video.? The course was navigated differently.? I think this variation is what caused the car to swerve.? As to the assertion that the VDA test expunges non-uniformities such as these, I'll have to defer.? Certainly the ISO backing lends credence to the claims that VDA is a superior test.

Forgive me, but I can't help but suspect you are resistant to swallowing more than just the BMW data...? a bit of nationalistic pride perhaps??

I've readily admitted my bias in other threads on this matter.? It's against the media.? American media has had at least two very high-profile blunders connected to auto safety testing.? We're no better, probably worse so please don't see this as hypocrisy.
[snapback]192136[/snapback]

All I'm saying is that BMW's re-run doesn't mean anything to me; they are very much a part in this case. And to me it looks like the TV-driver has a very aggresive driving style and maybe he is provoking the car to do this...

UUronL 11-01-2005 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 08:03 PM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:46 AM']I don't swallow everything without some thought either.? I guess you're right... perhaps I've placed too much credence on the BMW video?? Or perhaps I've assigned too much weight to the vivid imagery of the original tester's refusal to drive the course with BMW present.? Oh wait, no - it was the fact that there's a better test that's ISO certified, the VDA test - and the number of times the 5 has successfully passed it in the hands of automotive journalists.?

It looks to me as if the driver in the original video swerves and then maintains a straight path a bit longer before turning in than the BMW driver in the BMW video.? The course was navigated differently.? I think this variation is what caused the car to swerve.? As to the assertion that the VDA test expunges non-uniformities such as these, I'll have to defer.? Certainly the ISO backing lends credence to the claims that VDA is a superior test.

Forgive me, but I can't help but suspect you are resistant to swallowing more than just the BMW data...? a bit of nationalistic pride perhaps??

I've readily admitted my bias in other threads on this matter.? It's against the media.? American media has had at least two very high-profile blunders connected to auto safety testing.? We're no better, probably worse so please don't see this as hypocrisy.

All I'm saying is that BMW's re-run doesn't mean anything to me; they are very much a part in this case. And to me it looks like the TV-driver has a very aggresive driving style and maybe he is provoking the car to do this...
[snapback]192148[/snapback]
[/quote]

Then we agree on those two points at least. My reason for siding with BMW isn't the video, I had already mulled over the plausibility of the various possible explanations before seeing the video or the response. The video certainly is beneficial, but even without that I just think the argument and circumstances favor BMW.

I think BMW's behavior is perfectly defensible. In my world, if we find a problem in the function of a piece of gear from a vendor - whether in a test lab or in the field, the vendor is contacted and they try to replicate the condition. I would imagine that BMW was keenly interested in determining if the car was built to spec and operating properly, so it was sent back and tested. Once its state was determined, the next step would have been to try to replicate the conditions and test to see if the problem would reappear. I see the invitation that was extended to the journalists as an act of openness, probably something that wasn't required. I'm sure some will see such fervor and thoroughness on BMW's part as defensive and possibly suspicious behavior, but I think it is in line with scientific practices.

Simple1 11-01-2005 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Nov 1 2005, 09:42 PM
[quote name='ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 08:03 PM'][quote name='UUronL' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:46 AM']I don't swallow everything without some thought either.? I guess you're right... perhaps I've placed too much credence on the BMW video?? Or perhaps I've assigned too much weight to the vivid imagery of the original tester's refusal to drive the course with BMW present.? Oh wait, no - it was the fact that there's a better test that's ISO certified, the VDA test - and the number of times the 5 has successfully passed it in the hands of automotive journalists.?

[/quote]

Then we agree on those two points at least. My reason for siding with BMW isn't the video, I had already mulled over the plausibility of the various possible explanations before seeing the video or the response. The video certainly is beneficial, but even without that I just think the argument and circumstances favor BMW.

I think BMW's behavior is perfectly defensible. In my world, if we find a problem in the function of a piece of gear from a vendor - whether in a test lab or in the field, the vendor is contacted and they try to replicate the condition. I would imagine that BMW was keenly interested in determining if the car was built to spec and operating properly, so it was sent back and tested. Once its state was determined, the next step would have been to try to replicate the conditions and test to see if the problem would reappear. I see the invitation that was extended to the journalists as an act of openness, probably something that wasn't required. I'm sure some will see such fervor and thoroughness on BMW's part as defensive and possibly suspicious behavior, but I think it is in line with scientific practices.
[snapback]192168[/snapback]
[/quote]
I whole Heartly concur, I expect no less from a company I love. If someone says something about any one of their cars and they just brush it off like some have suggested I would be very disturbed by that! I guess maybe it's an American mentality thing since we are so prone to suing everybody's ass of :lol: :lol: :lol:
Honestly the journalist looked like a prick when he was asked to drive and refused to, I mean almost a total act of cowardice hate to see that quality in a man! When you say something you best have the balls to back it up when the person you spoke about is around! :P

Robbo 11-01-2005 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Simple1' date='Nov 2 2005, 07:53 AM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Nov 1 2005, 09:42 PM'][quote name='ipp' date='Nov 1 2005, 08:03 PM'][quote name='UUronL' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:46 AM']I don't swallow everything without some thought either.? I guess you're right... perhaps I've placed too much credence on the BMW video?? Or perhaps I've assigned too much weight to the vivid imagery of the original tester's refusal to drive the course with BMW present.? Oh wait, no - it was the fact that there's a better test that's ISO certified, the VDA test - and the number of times the 5 has successfully passed it in the hands of automotive journalists.?

[/quote]

[snapback]192168[/snapback]
[/quote]
I whole Heartly concur, I expect no less from a company I love. If someone says something about any one of their cars and they just brush it off like some have suggested I would be very disturbed by that! I guess maybe it's an American mentality thing since we are so prone to suing everybody's ass of :lol: :lol: :lol:
Honestly the journalist looked like a prick when he was asked to drive and refused to, I mean almost a total act of cowardice hate to see that quality in a man! When you say something you best have the balls to back it up when the person you spoke about is around! :P
[snapback]192293[/snapback]
[/quote]

Apparently they were forbidden by their Chief editor to drive the car at BMW's test facilities. Don't know why though.
The only thing that disturbs me is the fact that Teknikens Varld drives every other test car in the same way and the A6, E-Class and so on all goes quicker and without the drifting...

/R

cidair 11-02-2005 02:36 AM

Press release from BMW today: " ... and the DSC was switched off during the video.... ".

Can you believe this., from a so called serious car mag???????????????????? :think: :thumbsdown:

AC_S5 11-02-2005 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by cidair' date='Nov 2 2005, 07:36 PM
Press release from BMW today:? " ... and the DSC was switched off during the video.... ".

Can you believe this., from a so called serious car mag???????????????????? :think:? :thumbsdown:
[snapback]192358[/snapback]

Car mags are for reference and are fun to read, but don't really care about the figures they post. If you like the car then buy it, a column in the magazine wouldn't change my behaviour.

colejl 11-02-2005 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Robbo' date='Nov 2 2005, 07:41 AM
Apparently they were forbidden by their Chief editor to drive the car at BMW's test facilities. Don't know why though.
The only thing that disturbs me is the fact that Teknikens Varld drives every other test car in the same way and the A6, E-Class and so on all goes quicker and without the drifting...

I thought BMW said the 5 was best-in-class?

i.e.

The same BMW 523i formerly tested by Teknikens V?rld passed the moose test at 72,73 km/h, which is a top performance in it?s class.

Robbo 11-03-2005 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Nov 2 2005, 03:27 PM
[quote name='Robbo' date='Nov 2 2005, 07:41 AM']Apparently they were forbidden by their Chief editor to drive the car at BMW's test facilities. Don't know why though.

I thought BMW said the 5 was best-in-class?

i.e.

The same BMW 523i formerly tested by Teknikens V?rld passed the moose test at 72,73 km/h, which is a top performance in it?s class.
[snapback]192381[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm referring to the magazine's tests. They claim that the E60 does it 68km/h. The competition is quicker.

But here we go again:

mms://qstream-wm.qbrick.com/04755/BMW/0523_bmw_high.wmv

(Copy / paste in your browser)

They made some new tests after the one at BMW. The silver 530 is equipped with winter tires and the test driver says that it works a bit better with the softer tires.
The Touring is the worst one. What you see in the test run is first with DSC enabled and fully loaded, second without DSC (and loaded) and thirdly with DSC and just the driver.

I wonder what BMW's reply will be...

/R

Ricracing 11-04-2005 06:40 AM

Well, I must say that I am disappointed in Teknikens V?rld.

This proves that they see the world thru blue and yellow eyeglasses.

This whole matter stinks s**t ... or I mean Volvo. :thumbsdown: