Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

BMW didn't do too well in the 2009 JD Power Dependability Survey

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='821543' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:01 AM
In that it is based largely on number of customer complaints/problems, it's no wonder BMW is lower. We pay a premium for these cars, and everyone on this forum, myself included, won't hesitate to take his car to the dealer for the slightest issue. WE help skew the numbers ourselves. Buick owners, on the otherhand, expect problems and accept them more willingly. Hence, they are less likely to report issues. That doesn't account for all areas, but it is a factor.
+1.

My new LCI '08 has been so far without any outstanding problems.

Yes, I did get a steering wheel chirp problem fixed and the small
"decoration" panel, on the left hand side of the steering wheel, sometimes
gives a tiny crackling noice.
But I will get it fixed on the first service, this spring.

But that's is actually nothing, only my need to perfection in a very silent quality car.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Lemme guess ... the most common problems cited by BMW owners are:
1. brake dust
2. cup holders
3. iDrive

#3 looks to be much improved in the new version of iDrive. #2 will never change (I think it's more important that BMW engineers spend time on the important stuff ... like how well it drives). But #1 is an issue that all of the German brands suffer from.

I'd rather see the answer to the question: "after 3 years of ownership would you buy another car from this brand again?" It wouldn't surprise me to see BMW ranked in the top 3 on that question.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='832972' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:56 AM
Lemme guess ... the most common problems cited by BMW owners are:
1. brake dust
2. cup holders
3. iDrive

#3 looks to be much improved in the new version of iDrive. #2 will never change (I think it's more important that BMW engineers spend time on the important stuff ... like how well it drives). But #1 is an issue that all of the German brands suffer from.

I'd rather see the answer to the question: "after 3 years of ownership would you buy another car from this brand again?" It wouldn't surprise me to see BMW ranked in the top 3 on that question.
If that were all that went wrong on my 2007 550 I'd still be driving it.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='822006' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:18 AM
When I saw Jag. up at the top I thought the same damn thing. That almost has to be a misprint.

Jaguar has always been well known as one of the least reliable car companys for many many years. Then bam all of a sudden there near the top. Not buying it one bit. Though they should be near the top as they only make a few models yet for years they could never get that right. Porsche if you take out there SUV I'm sure they'd be right up at the top also.
Jag being on top is a shocking reversal of fortune (I don't doubt the veracity of the JD Power results but am just surprised). I once rented a Jaguar S-Type (before Hertz jettisoned Jags) from Hertz and it was the biggest POS I've ever rented. I had to bring the first one back to Hertz because the rear apron was falling down off the car (loose mounts -- it was not hit). The replacement S-Type was no better. The headlights and windshield wipers only worked intermittently when I switched them on. It was bizzare.

I think Jags are beautiful looking cars but I'd never buy one.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='821543' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:01 AM
In that it is based largely on number of customer complaints/problems, it's no wonder BMW is lower. We pay a premium for these cars, and everyone on this forum, myself included, won't hesitate to take his car to the dealer for the slightest issue.
+1.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='821818' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:12 AM
I only care about this enough to say "I couldn't care less" LOL
Agreed, we buy these things because we love them...at least I do. if you want reliability then buy a car with no computer & the least moving parts possible. These are complex, innovative products they're gonna go wrong now & again.....so 'couldn't care less'
Old 04-18-2009, 04:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='822169' date='Mar 20 2009, 01:00 PM
Some of the posts here are ridiculous - the survey placings are based on feedback from owners. They are what they are. No point shooting the JD Power messenger. I'd never buy a Buick over a BMW either, but had BMW of come top would you guys have derided the results or alleged that BMW paid JD Power as some of the more inane posts above are suggesting? I don't think so.
Statistics and surveys can be skewered to read any way to further an agenda or a point. To ridicule and dismiss forum members for disagreeing with you is pompous and inane. Your avitar says it all. Sorry you had problems with your '07 but if it was warranteed it didn't cost you dime one extra. You might want to bash BMWs on the porche forums, you might just get the positve feedback you seem to crave. Happy motoring!!
Old 04-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by swajames' post='821550' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think that necessarily holds true. No one tolerates quality issues, no matter what car you have. The other counterpoint is that Jaguar owners also pay as much of a premium as BMW owners.
but alot of BMW owners are more anal compared to jaguar owners; in the sense of modding and being more creative with their rides. Most jaguar owners prefer to keep their car the way they received it. Also, our idea of quality, performance and fucntions are different IMO.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='821543' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:01 PM
In that it is based largely on number of customer complaints/problems, it's no wonder BMW is lower. We pay a premium for these cars, and everyone on this forum, myself included, won't hesitate to take his car to the dealer for the slightest issue. WE help skew the numbers ourselves. Buick owners, on the otherhand, expect problems and accept them more willingly. Hence, they are less likely to report issues. That doesn't account for all areas, but it is a factor.
+1
Old 04-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by zerocool' post='851114' date='Apr 18 2009, 11:16 AM
but alot of BMW owners are more anal compared to jaguar owners; in the sense of modding and being more creative with their rides. Most jaguar owners prefer to keep their car the way they received it. Also, our idea of quality, performance and fucntions are different IMO.
My 2003 E39 540i Sport was very bit as reliable as my 2006 Infiniti M45 (and a hell of a lot more fun to drive). I'm hoping that my current ride proves to be as reliable as my last 2 rides.

I would agree that your average BMW owners is much more into his/her car and desiring perfection from it than the owners of most other brands.

Quick Reply: BMW didn't do too well in the 2009 JD Power Dependability Survey