Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

BMW didn't do too well in the 2009 JD Power Dependability Survey

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='821543
Also you see many Buicks on the road for years and I think that they have a pretty good track record.
Naaaa... They're on the road for so long because they are cheap and damned easy to fix. Any garage-est can fix an Olds/Buick/etc car with out thinking too hard about it. Once you get to a specialized car, you're pretty much limited to taking it to someone who has proper training.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I only care about this enough to say "I couldn't care less" LOL
Old 03-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport. It has Heads Up Display...need I say more...

Don't agree with the survey results at all. They should survery some of the people I know with Jags, etc her in the UK. My own brother in law had the electronic handbrake activate whle doing 70mph on the motorway....very scary. Another owners Jag has spent more time in the dealer than out. These are just 2 of a very long list.

Don't get me wrong, I have known of plenty with BMs who have had to go back to the dealer for problems, but in all honesty, they have been minor issues (but a lot more). Also, as has been said, there are a lot of purchases of cars, who may actually just fix them themselves, instead of reporting the issue and losing the car for a day or so.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by swajames' post='821532' date='Mar 20 2009, 08:51 AM
Lo and behold, Jaguar and Buick came top, with fewest defects per car over the three year period.
Something's really wrong with that survey!!! Jags are just about the most defective cars out there!! All my friends who own Jags
are always limping back to the garage for fixing. Really junk quality cars, I'd say.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 AM
Contributors

if i was concerned about dependability, I would have bought an 09 honda civic. one thing I can depend on is that my car is fucking awesome. enough said.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='821937' date='Mar 20 2009, 05:43 AM
Something's really wrong with that survey!!! Jags are just about the most defective cars out there!! All my friends who own Jags
are always limping back to the garage for fixing. Really junk quality cars, I'd say.
When I saw Jag. up at the top I thought the same damn thing. That almost has to be a misprint.

Jaguar has always been well known as one of the least reliable car companys for many many years. Then bam all of a sudden there near the top. Not buying it one bit. Though they should be near the top as they only make a few models yet for years they could never get that right. Porsche if you take out there SUV I'm sure they'd be right up at the top also.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='822006' date='Mar 20 2009, 08:18 AM
When I saw Jag. up at the top I thought the same damn thing. That almost has to be a misprint.

Jaguar has always been well known as one of the least reliable car companys for many many years. Then bam all of a sudden there near the top. Not buying it one bit. Though they should be near the top as they only make a few models yet for years they could never get that right. Porsche if you take out there SUV I'm sure they'd be right up at the top also.
+1 there. How does a company that's been making sh!tty cars for decades, suddenly rise up to the top in just a few years? I'm calling shenanigans on that one. But, these articles are great cuz hopefully BMW gets the message and doesn't rest on its laurels. If BMW were as dependable as Lexus, they would dominate the market. Those were my only two choices when I was buying and my vanity won over my practical side so I ended up getting the bimmer. Don't get me wrong, I love my E60 (and first BMW) and might look into upgrading to the F10 in its 2nd or 3rd gen if the iDrive gets completely retooled and kinks worked out. Imagine having an iDrive with an interface as easy to use as the iPhone's interface. Don't get rid of the wheel cuz that's safer to use when driving but have it augment a more user friendly touch interface...and dual LCD's, like I have at work!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

This survey is a BS for american consumers. Don't you see what's going on? American brands are suffering, almost filing banckrupcy - and BUICK needs some buyers! Same as Chrysler, Cadilac, Dodge etc.. They Just put american cars on top so American people can read it and buy BUICK.

LEXUS is LESS RELIABLE THEN BUICK? Come on.. AND, JAG??? Jags are braking down all the time!! You know JAg was owned by FOrd right.. Ford screwed up the brand same like GM screwed up SAAB. Those cars are not reliable anymore. TATA motors bought JAG and trying to reestablish the image of the brand after Fords ownership. They probably paid money to this MAg Survey to promote Jags as reliable cars again.. Jags are doing better now but look this survey is about 2006 cars when Jag was still owned by Ford!

Sure BMW is not the most reliable brands but come on, Buick and JAG? it's a joke
Old 03-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Some of the posts here are ridiculous - the survey placings are based on feedback from owners. They are what they are. No point shooting the JD Power messenger. I'd never buy a Buick over a BMW either, but had BMW of come top would you guys have derided the results or alleged that BMW paid JD Power as some of the more inane posts above are suggesting? I don't think so.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

My grandmother has a buick. Talk about a basic bare bones car. There is nothing technologically advanced about the car to stop working. In the 9 years she has had the car her only problems have been a bad window regulator and squeaky brakes. Will her engine, trans, and body panels last as long as a BMW? Not a chance in hell!!!!

Quick Reply: BMW didn't do too well in the 2009 JD Power Dependability Survey