5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Press Articles & Your Comments (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/)
-   -   BMW didn't do too well in the 2009 JD Power Dependability Survey (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/bmw-didnt-do-too-well-2009-jd-power-dependability-survey-73068/)

swajames 03-19-2009 04:51 PM

The 2009 JD Power Dependability study came out today. This focuses on problems over three years, so 2006 model year cars are the subject of the 2009 study. Lo and behold, Jaguar and Buick came top, with fewest defects per car over the three year period.

BMW appears to have come 15th, placing behind Chrysler.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1237503026...=googlenews_wsj

CWS530 03-19-2009 05:01 PM

In that it is based largely on number of customer complaints/problems, it's no wonder BMW is lower. We pay a premium for these cars, and everyone on this forum, myself included, won't hesitate to take his car to the dealer for the slightest issue. WE help skew the numbers ourselves. Buick owners, on the otherhand, expect problems and accept them more willingly. Hence, they are less likely to report issues. That doesn't account for all areas, but it is a factor.

swajames 03-19-2009 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='821543' date='Mar 19 2009, 06:01 PM
In that it is based largely on number of customer complaints/problems, it's no wonder BMW is lower. We pay a premium for these cars, and everyone on this forum, myself included, won't hesitate to take his car to the dealer for the slightest issue. WE help skew the numbers ourselves. Buick owners, on the otherhand, expect problems and accept them more willingly. Hence, they are less likely to report issues. That doesn't account for all areas, but it is a factor.

I don't think that necessarily holds true. No one tolerates quality issues, no matter what car you have. The other counterpoint is that Jaguar owners also pay as much of a premium as BMW owners.

midwest bmw 03-19-2009 05:41 PM

BMW should be ashamed of this :getlost:

I have no doubt the brand equity would be damaged if this were to continue long-term.

jzcrna 03-19-2009 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by swajames' post='821550' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think that necessarily holds true. No one tolerates quality issues, no matter what car you have. The other counterpoint is that Jaguar owners also pay as much of a premium as BMW owners.

I agree. People in general do not tolerate problems with any car. Also you see many Buicks on the road for years and I think that they have a pretty good track record. If they would go back to the old sportier style Regals, etc. I think that they would be more profitable.

doug_999 03-19-2009 06:35 PM

This years survey removed the trips to the dealer for routine service. As we know, BMWs don't go to the dealer for routine service very often and I'm sure this hurt their score.

edit: My bad - routine fixes were eliminated (I still believe this hurt BMW as these "routine fixes" such as wipers are just done as part of the included maintenance as opposed to being screwed over by the dealer wanting $35 to do it.)

"Oddes said this year's study was redesigned to exclude routine fixes from a vehicle's list of problems. For example, the study no longer counts tire or windshield wiper replacements as a reportable problem. The intended result is a study that focuses on actual glitches with a vehicle, Oddes said, though it also makes it difficult to make year-over-year comparisons."

swajames 03-19-2009 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='821634' date='Mar 19 2009, 07:35 PM
This years survey removed the trips to the dealer for routine service. As we know, BMWs don't go to the dealer for routine service very often and I'm sure this hurt their score.

The survey only records issues or defects in the first three years of ownership. Routine servicing has no impact on the dependability numbers.

doug_999 03-19-2009 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by swajames' post='821637' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:39 PM
The survey only records issues or defects in the first three years of ownership. Routine servicing has no impact on the dependability numbers.

see my modified post

Rudy 03-19-2009 06:47 PM

I think Buick scored so high because both of their customers haven't driven more than a few miles in the last three years due to their age... ;)

CWS530 03-19-2009 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='821644' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:47 PM
I think Buick scored so high because both of their customers haven't driven more than a few miles in the last three years due to their age... ;)

That was sort of where I was going with my initial comment. :P I didn't mention Jag. Of couse Jaguar and Lexus owners will complain as vociferously as Bimmer owners. However, many American car owners consider certain squeaks and rattles as normal due to years of sub-par expectations. I know this as I know people in that category.