5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Press Articles & Your Comments (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/)
-   -   BMW to buy Volvo? (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/bmw-buy-volvo-40608/)

tachyon 05-28-2007 01:58 PM

I'm a fan of Volvo ... they've produced some very nice cars and SUVs recently, and their build quality is on par with any major brand. We happily owned an XC90 recently, and the new C30 is a looker (and it will be in the U.S. before the 1 series).

News post here.

But has any automotive acquisition worked out nicely for the buyer since, I dunno .... Ford bought Lincoln? It didn't go so well for Mercedes recently ($30 billion market value loss in 10 years) .

Where is the synergy for BMW/Volvo? Don't most of their products occupy the same segments (leaving aside Volvo trucks)?

BMW has been doing very well in a tough automotive market these last few years. But are they really any smarter than the gang in Stuttgart?

I fear for the advancement and quality of BMW products if they make this move.

pinguhk 05-29-2007 02:34 AM

If they do buy it maybe the Volvo design may look like BMW cars.
BMW will make it even better like the mini and RR

EBMCS03 06-18-2007 08:06 PM

I read on the car connection that they're not... not yet.. they've been "meeting" but nothing for certain...

narvselius 06-19-2007 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='437251' date='Jun 19 2007, 06:06 AM
I read on the car connection that they're not... not yet.. they've been "meeting" but nothing for certain...

I read last week that BMW is no longer interested...but who knows what Ford needs to do to prevent going under?

ipp 06-19-2007 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='429154' date='May 28 2007, 10:58 PM
Where is the synergy for BMW/Volvo? Don't most of their products occupy the same segments (leaving aside Volvo trucks)?

As far as I know Volvo Trucks is another company and has nothing with Ford to do with.

tachyon 07-09-2007 02:38 PM

BMW is not letting go of this idea. :thumbsdown:

From Leftlane News ... again ...

BMW may still be interested in Volvo
07/09/07, 08:05am, EDT

BMW representatives are said to have traveled to Gothenburg, Sweden, to meet with members of Volvo's finance team so the Germans could glean more financial information from the Swedes. BMW is said to still be looking at purchasing Volvo from Ford, despite Ford's denial that Volvo was officially up for sale.

An inside source at Volvo told Sweden's TeknikensVarld magazine that BMW representatives were on site recently. But while Ford is looking at shedding as many resources as possible in order to free up cash flow, Mark Fields, president of the Americas at Ford, has repeatedly denied that Volvo would be sold.

westcoast550 07-12-2007 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='445408' date='Jul 9 2007, 05:38 PM
BMW is not letting go of this idea. :thumbsdown:

From Leftlane News ... again ...

BMW may still be interested in Volvo
07/09/07, 08:05am, EDT

BMW representatives are said to have traveled to Gothenburg, Sweden, to meet with members of Volvo's finance team so the Germans could glean more financial information from the Swedes. BMW is said to still be looking at purchasing Volvo from Ford, despite Ford's denial that Volvo was officially up for sale.

An inside source at Volvo told Sweden's TeknikensVarld magazine that BMW representatives were on site recently. But while Ford is looking at shedding as many resources as possible in order to free up cash flow, Mark Fields, president of the Americas at Ford, has repeatedly denied that Volvo would be sold.

Aside from some purchasing, development and distribution synergies I don't see it . The cultural issue would be critical ie Corp vs Family. Lets hope they know something we don't or the price is very very right . Did I mention Chyrsler !!!!!!

narvselius 07-13-2007 06:04 AM

Volvo (trucks) is now also interested in buying (back) Volvo according to Swedish newspapers.