5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Press Articles & Your Comments (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/)
-   -   Bad article on BMW engine durability (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/bad-article-bmw-engine-durability-40740/)

pulserace2004 05-31-2007 02:03 PM

Has anyone read the article in the current issue of Automobile (I believe it's Automobile...), regarding their 330i long term test vehicle? It points out that BMW engines, whether the V8's or in this case, the inline 6, have severe issues related to long term durability. Their test car had major work done, and if it were not for the warranty coverage, very expensive. Since the 530 and 330 share the same engine, this is BIG concern! My 2004 530 has 65K miles on it, and its been trouble free for quite a while, ever since I had the "software upgrade" to address the old i-Drive system issues, but I certainly don't want major engine repairs to contend with.

Has anyone had major engine problems on their e60?

I know the M3 engines have a history of catching fire, but this is the FIRST I've ever heard of the 6 cylinder versions having problems.

Bedford530i 05-31-2007 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by pulserace2004' post='430439' date='May 31 2007, 06:03 PM
Has anyone read the article in the current issue of Automobile (I believe it's Automobile...), regarding their 330i long term test vehicle? It points out that BMW engines, whether the V8's or in this case, the inline 6, have severe issues related to long term durability. Their test car had major work done, and if it were not for the warranty coverage, very expensive. Since the 530 and 330 share the same engine, this is BIG concern! My 2004 530 has 65K miles on it, and its been trouble free for quite a while, ever since I had the "software upgrade" to address the old i-Drive system issues, but I certainly don't want major engine repairs to contend with.

I know the M3 engines have a history of catching fire, but this is the FIRST I've ever heard of the 6 cylinder versions having problems.

I haven't read that issue of Automobile but you have the old M54 3.0 engine and that is said to be bulletproof (my car has the same engine). Maybe they are referring to the new N52 engine?

nicke60gre 05-31-2007 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bedford530i' post='430478' date='Jun 1 2007, 02:52 AM
I haven't read that issue of Automobile but you have the old M54 3.0 engine and that is said to be bulletproof (my car has the same engine). Maybe they are referring to the new N52 engine?

They are not referring to M54 for sure. I know that N52 (magnesium - valvetronic) is not so welcomed by tuners, while M54 (aluminium) with forged steel connecting rods and one piece cast camshaft, (equal to E46 M3- S54 engine) is the "tuners diamond" :thumbsup:

KeroJet 06-01-2007 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by pulserace2004' post='430439' date='May 31 2007, 11:03 PM
Has anyone read the article in the current issue of Automobile (I believe it's Automobile...), regarding their 330i long term test vehicle?

Is this the article to which you are referring?

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedan...i_four_seasons/

The article does point out they have had some issues in the past, but does not imply we are on the verge of an epidemic of engine failures. If BMW's engines suffer from serious design flaws that compromise their durability we would certainly have heard about it by now, don't you think?

530inNYC 06-01-2007 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by KeroJet' post='430680' date='Jun 1 2007, 08:39 AM
Is this the article to which you are referring?

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedan...i_four_seasons/

The article does point out they have had some issues in the past, but does not imply we are on the verge of an epidemic of engine failures. If BMW's engines suffer from serious design flaws that compromise their durability we would certainly have heard about it by now, don't you think?

Prob people who kept changing their oil every 15,000 miles. Lol.

tomv 06-02-2007 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by pulserace2004' post='430439' date='May 31 2007, 06:03 PM

Interesting, never heard this before, must be an isolated incident, M54 is renowned and highly praised by the industry. The article was quite the bash job, too bad the write had to end up with the car that had issues.