Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Article on Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 05:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Saw this article earlier: -

RUN-FLAT ADVICE FROM TYRE MAKERS
Don't fit them to a standard car, industry body warns

Goodyear run-flat Fitting run-flats to a car not designed for them is inadvisable at best, according to the Tyre Industry Council (TIC).

A car?s suspension is specifically tuned for SST run-flat tyres for maximum safety, performance, handling and ride quality. SST Run-flat tyres must only be fitted in conjunction with a tyre pressure monitoring system to ensure that a tyre deflation is communicated to the driver at the earliest possible moment. Failure to do so could result in a tyre being run in a deflated condition for longer than the recommended period and the driver left in ignorance of a tyre?s condition.

Retrofitting of SST run-flat tyres may also compromise the ride characteristics of the vehicle to which they have been fitted because few older vehicles have been designed with run-flat fitment in mind.

An example pointed out to the TIC recently involved the fitment of a set of run-flat tyres to a 10 year old vehicle not fitted with a tyre pressure monitoring system. The car suffered a puncture and the driver was unaware of the deflated tyre, which was run in this state for some time, and the car failed its MOT because of damage to the tyre.

All major tyre manufacturers producing SST run-flat tyres, along with all major tyre retailers, recommend against fitting run-flat tyres to vehicles not originally designed with this type of tyre in mind.

Self supporting run-flat tyres must never be mixed with standard tyres on any vehicle.

[I]They don't want you to drive to far on RF's - It affects new tyre sales!
Also if you shouldn't mix RF's with conventional tyres why does BMW sell an optional ?70 spare wheel? Is it a spare RF?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

sounds like they don't want to be liable for anything
Old 06-16-2005, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

From my perspective, it's all about the tire pressure monitoring. Clearly it would be a bad idea to install runflats on a car with no monitoring system. I'm sure there are people out there who aren't aware of this fact that simply purchase runflats to install on older cars thinking that they're "good to go."

As far as mixing a non runflat spare with runflats, I don't think there's a problem since it's only a temporary condition. Again, I think there are probably people out there that think that runflats are a good idea so they may be buying them in pairs as they need tires...
Old 06-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic
Question

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Jun 16 2005, 08:42 AM
[I]They don't want you to drive to far on RF's - It affects new tyre sales!
Also if you shouldn't mix RF's with conventional tyres why does BMW sell an optional ?70 spare wheel? Is it a spare RF?
[snapback]140067[/snapback]
Or nearly ?140 for the spare if not ordered with new car