Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Another "confirmation" regarding the new iDrive

Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM
  #1  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 136
My Ride: 530xiT
Default

This was posted today on the BMW Cars news website:

"In the past months I have received a lot of email regarding the new iDrive system and which BMW vehicles will have it implemented in the future. I have just learned that the BMW X5 and X6 will be receiving the new iDrive controller and the Drive logic including the hard drive and USB port.

Unfortunately, the navigation screen will not change.

The change will take place in September and it will be available on the 2010 models.

Back in August, we learned that the 2009 BMW 5 and 6 Series will not be arriving with the CIC (Car Infotainment Computer). But it has been confirmed today that in March the BMW 5 and 6 Series will get the new iDrive logic and hard drive, an addition to the new iDrive controller that has been added before."

http://bmw-carnews.blogspot.com/2009/01/bm...ive-system.html
rhnorb is offline  
Old 01-07-2009, 09:12 PM
  #2  
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Looks like I'm getting my 5 in March!
dream5 is offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 05:18 AM
  #3  
Senior Members
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 962
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Post

Originally Posted by rhnorb' post='762372' date='Jan 8 2009, 12:17 AM
This was posted today on the BMW Cars news website:

"In the past months I have received a lot of email regarding the new iDrive system and which BMW vehicles will have it implemented in the future. I have just learned that the BMW X5 and X6 will be receiving the new iDrive controller and the Drive logic including the hard drive and USB port.

Unfortunately, the navigation screen will not change.

The change will take place in September and it will be available on the 2010 models.

Back in August, we learned that the 2009 BMW 5 and 6 Series will not be arriving with the CIC (Car Infotainment Computer). But it has been confirmed today that in March the BMW 5 and 6 Series will get the new iDrive logic and hard drive, an addition to the new iDrive controller that has been added before."

http://bmw-carnews.blogspot.com/2009/01/bm...ive-system.html
Thanks, thats good news for me,I'll be doing a ED pick up in the later part of May.
cheers
vern
vern is offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 05:42 AM
  #4  
Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: France
Posts: 218
My Ride: 520d
Default

Originally Posted by rhnorb' post='762372' date='Jan 8 2009, 06:17 AM
This was posted today on the BMW Cars news website:

"In the past months I have received a lot of email regarding the new iDrive system and which BMW vehicles will have it implemented in the future. I have just learned that the BMW X5 and X6 will be receiving the new iDrive controller and the Drive logic including the hard drive and USB port.

Unfortunately, the navigation screen will not change.

The change will take place in September and it will be available on the 2010 models.

Back in August, we learned that the 2009 BMW 5 and 6 Series will not be arriving with the CIC (Car Infotainment Computer). But it has been confirmed today that in March the BMW 5 and 6 Series will get the new iDrive logic and hard drive, an addition to the new iDrive controller that has been added before."

http://bmw-carnews.blogspot.com/2009/01/bm...ive-system.html
Thanks! What is supposed to be the benefit? I thougth the new controller already came with new hardware?
copello is offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 06:09 AM
  #5  
Senior Members
 
narvselius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scania, Scandinavia
Posts: 1,992
My Ride: F11 -14
Default

Originally Posted by copello' post='762618' date='Jan 8 2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks! What is supposed to be the benefit? I thougth the new controller already came with new hardware?
Hardware yes, but not all features, such as the new Navigation Professional with 12 (?) GB disk for mp3 usage and so on.
narvselius is offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 AM
  #6  
ObD
Contributors
 
ObD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 828
My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT
Default

Originally Posted by copello' post='762618' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks! What is supposed to be the benefit? I thougth the new controller already came with new hardware?
The benefit is BMW's. They only need to stock one set of hardware.
ObD is offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM
  #7  
Senior Members
 
JSpira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York und Wien
Posts: 2,158
Default

Originally Posted by copello' post='762618' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks! What is supposed to be the benefit? I thougth the new controller already came with new hardware?
No, the controller had no new hardware (except for the controller itself of course) which simply provided a few shortcut keys (radio, CD, etc.)
JSpira is offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 AM
  #8  
Senior Members
 
JSpira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York und Wien
Posts: 2,158
Default

Originally Posted by rhnorb' post='762372' date='Jan 8 2009, 12:17 AM
This was posted today on the BMW Cars news website:

Back in August, we learned that the 2009 BMW 5 and 6 Series will not be arriving with the CIC (Car Infotainment Computer). But it has been confirmed today that in March the BMW 5 and 6 Series will get the new iDrive logic and hard drive, an addition to the new iDrive controller that has been added before."

http://bmw-carnews.blogspot.com/2009/01/bm...ive-system.html

The 2010 model year will start early for the 5er in the U.S., probably with March production. MY2010 5ers will get the CIC-based iDrive.
JSpira is offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
  #9  
Contributors
 
nicke60gre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chalandri/Athina/Hellas
Posts: 2,799
Default

Ohh well ...future retrofittings
nicke60gre is offline  
Old 01-08-2009, 12:55 PM
  #10  
Members
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westland, Netherlands
Posts: 19
My Ride: - - - - - - Blue 525d Executive, BT, Logic7, 18inch 124's, sunroof, sport seats
Default

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='762637' date='Jan 8 2009, 04:09 PM
Hardware yes, but not all features, such as the new Navigation Professional with 12 (?) GB disk for mp3 usage and so on.
My HD iDrive system reports a total space of 12.500 MB available for music (at least in Europe/Netherlands).

/Eric
EricO5d is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another "confirmation" regarding the new iDrive


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.