Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

535d comments in the press

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I guess the story which is better is neverending
well it is because there is no definite answer.... both are "performance-wise" so close that it is only a driver's heart that will make the difference....
simply there is no winner..... and never will....
Old 04-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='271276' date='Apr 19 2006, 10:33 PM
Perfect response.

I've decided that 700700 just likes putting the cat among the pigeons. If he had a 535D he's be so in the other camp, he'd be dressing on the other side, but fair play as everyone is entitled to their opinions.

My money went down the diesel route as i followed my head. I'd sold my V8 bi-turbo M5 wooping monster & TBH am glad of the relative calm & quiet when driving my diesel. Love the M5 bought if i was to have my time again, i'd take a DMS 535D everytime over a 540/545 or even 550. The only E60 that would drag me away from my current stead is the M5 & given i turned my back on one last year for mucho ???'s if i'd not commited to a new Porker in March 2008, i'd probably consider an M5 early in 2007, however my plan is hatched.

Just love the Diesel v Petrol debate. The only advantage when power is similar is that the petrol would probably sound a little sweeter & that's it, as a similar powered diesel will be quicker off the line & in gear which is when you need it, but given the diesel would have better residuals & lower running costs, the diesel becomes the better choice IMHO.

The engine/zorst note is not on my priority list when buying a car, it's only a nice to have. As i rack the miles up on my car, i have TBH & confirm that once warm i'd never know i'm driving a diesel & even cold, the straight six sounds sweet is is certainly not what i would describe as diesel like in such a way as my wifes TDI Passat.
Exactly. It's not that you climbed from a passat TDI pump duze into an M3 CSL that the sound will make you cum.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

But smart, smart BMW has given us choices within the brand (well I mean u non USA folks) rather than one or the other that would drive you away from BMW. I know in many of th ediscussions that many European buyers have to consider taxes on such things as HP or engine size or fuel type. This way you get the blast you need in the form factor to minimize total cost. I still hope we get diesel BMWs soon in the US so we can join in the comparo fun.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='271280' date='Apr 19 2006, 08:39 PM
I guess the story which is better is neverending
well it is because there is no definite answer.... both are "performance-wise" so close that it is only a driver's heart that will make the difference....
simply there is no winner..... and never will....
Er, my wallet says otherwise. Better residuals and better economy...
Old 04-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

as to economy.... I must say that the R6 3l petrol is very very good....
the best economical 6 cylinder petrol IMHO
10l/100km fully loaded car.... long trips..... city 11...
for long trips with keeping the rules and speed limits no prob. for 9.6l/100km
and man I have a heavy foot
Old 04-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by colejl' post='271357' date='Apr 19 2006, 02:16 PM
Er, my wallet says otherwise. Better residuals and better economy...
....assuming you're in the UK/Europe The bigger gas-engined cars don't depreciate here like they do in the UK. Different cars for different markets.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='271364' date='Apr 19 2006, 04:28 PM
....assuming you're in the UK/Europe The bigger gas-engined cars don't depreciate here like they do in the UK. Different cars for different markets.
yeah.... where would the US economy be without fuel oriented economy
you guys are almost encouradged by the gov to buy the biggest engines possible so the gov can make money of the gas selling you
Old 04-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='271366' date='Apr 20 2006, 12:31 AM
yeah.... where would the US economy be without fuel oriented economy
you guys are almost encouradged by the gov to buy the biggest engines possible so the gov can make money of the gas selling you
USA breathes petrol. Let's not go here in the usa petrol d-bate
Old 04-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='271381' date='Apr 19 2006, 02:56 PM
Get the 535d tweaked by DMS and it trounces the petrol engines
I think we've already established pretty conclusively that it doesnt

And the first part of your post has left a very disturbing mental image in my mind
Old 04-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

BTW Rob from DMS was quoted saying the he beat a 550bhp RS6 at the VMAX fairly easily with his DMS m5... same BMWCar Mag

Quick Reply: 535d comments in the press