Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

The 4 star E60 - a real winner

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Here's THAT test:

NCAP Test November 2004

Interesting that it's a 2004 model year car. Is that significant.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Dec 12 2004, 12:12 AM

Here's THAT test:

NCAP Test November 2004

Interesting that it's a 2004 model year car. Is that significant.
[snapback]68029[/snapback]
It appears that BMW has crashed in to a row. From what I can gather, this was the result of a second test. After they learned of the result of the first, (I think it may have only got 3*), BMW modified the car and had it re-tested. Work was done on the door trim, the steering column and airbag. Then they submitted it for a second test. I believe BMW are all fussed that word got out that they made changes for the second test. And then how long will it take them to incorporate those changes in to production.

In Ireland and the UK, there are about 12000 or so un-modified E60's sold.
So should we, as pre-test E60 owners, demand that BMW issue a re-call and make those changes to OUR cars? Even at 4* I'm somewhat disappointed in that it has fallen behind a lot of cheaper mass market cars.

What do other owners think.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Contributors

I think if there becomes a trend then maybe there should be a recall but from what I have heard these cares are still pretty reliable
Old 12-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I spoke with BMW's press spokesman in Munich about this. It was a long phone conversation (1.5 hrs.). I will try to write up what he explained to me asap and post it here in the forum. (I need to calm down first - what I am still not, and the call was Wednesday allready...)
Old 12-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 12 2004, 12:46 AM
I spoke with BMW's press spokesman in Munich about this. It was a long phone conversation (1.5 hrs.). I will try to write up what he explained to me asap and post it here in the forum. (I need to calm down first - what I am still not, and the call was Wednesday allready...)
[snapback]68053[/snapback]
Well ICEMAN, I hope you are not unduly worried so calm down.

As owners of the current '04 cars, I think we have to be a little pragmatic on the issue. BMW SHOULD have secured a 5* result for the E60. The 1-series did. Realistically, what are the differences between a 4* and a 5* car.

On saying that, I think we will also need to better understand the changes that BMW made to achieve the 4*. Were the changes BMW made just for Euro NCAP or did it really have an impact on the result. Is it a manufacturing or design issue? Is there too much aluminium or bonding that caused the problem. Is some of it only a software change for airbag deployment?

I suppose that it is quite possible that the amount of retro work to be done to take it to a 4* is beyond what a re-call could achieve. And I doubt if BMW will issue a re-call.

Now I'm not necessarily going to run out and sell my E60 but I did consider upgrading to another model next year if the finances could withstand it. Now, the 4* result has given me something else to think about. I'd be certainly interested in hearing what Mr. BMW has to say.

And just for Iceman, I've attached a picture of a keyboard that you might consider using when communicating with BMW.
Attached Thumbnails The 4 star E60 - a real winner-calm_keyboard.jpg  
Old 12-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

What really will hurt is that the Audi A6 was tested recently too, and got 5 stars.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 11 2004, 04:46 PM

Would love to hear it Iceman. Take your time...
Old 12-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 11 2004, 04:46 PM
Iceman, fang mal an zu schreiben.
We are all anxious to hear what BMW had to say.

Does anybody know if the fixes that BMW came up with are incorporated into the 2005 model year?
Old 12-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

Any bets on the M5 getting 5 stars, when it's in production again. With those fixes that they're being very quiet about.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

Considering the weight of the E60 it's probably a bit more safe than the five star 1-series

Sadly, it's the heaviest car that wins in a collision

Quick Reply: The 4 star E60 - a real winner