Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Went looking at teh 335i Convertible today

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='563189' date='Apr 17 2008, 04:06 PM
Another note...the 335i vert is close to 4000lbs, can that be right - it's heavier than my 535i Wonder if it's extra stiffining for the vert and the top mechanism that add the weight?
............you're right Cabs are heavier due to all the reinforcements and stiffening VS sedans......... but they are so seductive to drive ..............write the cheque !!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Senior Members

I know this will be a minority opinion, but you couldn't interest me in a convertible at all. I have had several, but not BMWs and I find the hassle outweighs the odd evening ride that is "just right". Up here, it is either too hot in the summer, too windy or too cool to be fun in an open top - regardless of whether it is a soft top or a metal top. Besides, they are heavier (as already noted), are often more prone to squeaks and rattles, and the soft tops get eaten up by the sun.

Guess I just not a sun-on-the-head person (thin hair may also be part of the equation).
Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Contributors

Hey HotLap,

This is my first vert and I love it! The only thing I regret is not having 4 doors or the rear leg space. But my two kids' car seats fit comfortably and the kids LOVE to go alfresco day or night, hot or cold...heated seats help though I've never had to use them at the triple heat setting.

I thought I'd miss the V8 of my previous 545 but the TT on the E93 is pretty sweet! The car slaloms through traffic like crazy. It definitely feels more nimble than my E60 was - even with their similar weight. What was a nice surprise was hearing the slight burble of the exhaust when the top is down and hearing it rev up through the gears. With the top up, it is as quiet as a true hardtop...no squeeking.

I got the Dinan remap...done in less than an hour! The car is much quicker especially when passing...I would describe it as "hurtling" through the gears. It's a total blast. I can only imagine how quick the coupeis...but the convertible was the way to go for me. It looks great with the top up or down, has the cool "transformer-action" factor, and the twin-turbo is much easier to tweak if you're into that.

I can't put it any better than my four-year-old daughter who is always yelling out to onlookers: "Stop looking at me!"

I hope this mini car review helps!

Still Blackonblackonblack
Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='562650' date='Apr 16 2008, 02:51 PM
I stopped by my BMW dealer today and was checking out the 335i convertible. Retail (loaded) it was $58K (sound right to you?) and was a VERY sharp looking car. I purchased my 535 to haul around customers which it turns out I rarely ever do anymore...I'm thinking the 335i would be sportier and well, you just can't beat the convertible top. Anyone here have experience with the new hardtop mechanism...is it reliable and how quiet is it compared to the coupe?
$58k

For that money you can pick up a new M3.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='563547' date='Apr 18 2008, 02:39 AM
$58k

+1
Old 04-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='563547' date='Apr 17 2008, 11:39 PM
$58k

I don't think so...been hard to find pricing for the M3vert - but what I seem to see is the M3 vert is in the $65 - $68K range....
Old 04-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' post='563540' date='Apr 17 2008, 11:22 PM
Hey HotLap,

This is my first vert and I love it! The only thing I regret is not having 4 doors or the rear leg space. But my two kids' car seats fit comfortably and the kids LOVE to go alfresco day or night, hot or cold...heated seats help though I've never had to use them at the triple heat setting.

I thought I'd miss the V8 of my previous 545 but the TT on the E93 is pretty sweet! The car slaloms through traffic like crazy. It definitely feels more nimble than my E60 was - even with their similar weight. What was a nice surprise was hearing the slight burble of the exhaust when the top is down and hearing it rev up through the gears. With the top up, it is as quiet as a true hardtop...no squeeking.

I got the Dinan remap...done in less than an hour! The car is much quicker especially when passing...I would describe it as "hurtling" through the gears. It's a total blast. I can only imagine how quick the coupeis...but the convertible was the way to go for me. It looks great with the top up or down, has the cool "transformer-action" factor, and the twin-turbo is much easier to tweak if you're into that.

I can't put it any better than my four-year-old daughter who is always yelling out to onlookers: "Stop looking at me!"

I hope this mini car review helps! :thumbsup

Still Blackonblackonblack
tripleb - thanks I appreciate you insights into the 335i vert. Have any pics you can post? I'm thinking about just going all the way and gettng the M3 vert. I think the 3 series verts are georgeous cars and with no kids the rear seat or smaller trunk isn't a factor for me. Living in SoCal is a great place for a convertible and I have had convertibles for years. I'm thinking I may free up some garage space by selling the Shelby GT 500 vert and the 535i and replacing them with the M3 vert...great handling/balance of a BMW, with power and convertible of the Shelby (not as much power but close).
Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Contributors

Went and test drove a fully optioned 335i convertible yesterday (preimum, Sport, Nav, etc.). It is an amazing looking car and feels as if it is "sportier" than the 535i. I really liked the exhaust note and the auto tranny with paddle shifters was a nice surprise. The tt seemed more agressively tuned on the 335i than on the 535i - but it could be the sportier exhaust note and the fact that you hear a bit more engine noise than on the 535. The top action is amazing...BMW engineering is very apparent and it is "coupe quiet" when in the raised position. What I found surprising was the numbness of the road feel through the steering My 535i feels more responsive (crisper) and yet both had the 18" sport wheels/suspensions and same size tires. I can only think it may be due to the 335i's extra weight as the weight comes in just shy of 4K lbs. (That is very surprising to me as well - would have thought it would be lighter than the 535. From a size perspective, the 335 cockpit is narrower and headroom more limited than the 5, also the seats are not as adjustable and there are certain options that just aren't offered on the 335i. Very sharp looking interior, but things like the shifter know and steering wheel are not as "preimum" as those on the 5 series. I think if I wasn't already in a 5 series, these are things that I wouldn't notice.

0-60 times are a bit behind the 535i's as well. Still considering the 335i vert and really want to check out the M3 convertible as well - they are not due in dealerships until late May or early June '08. Based on the M3 coupe/sedan pricing I saw yesteday, I'm guessing the M3 vert is going to come in around mid $70's. Was very surprised to see an M3 Sedan at a local BMW dealer for $70K (and that was the price on the factory sticker - not an ADM added sticker). Another thing I noticed is that not a single 335i I looked at yesterday was ordered with HD radio..I must be the only one - but I think HD is great! I like the clarity, the substations you get and the fact that's it's easy to use (FM dial) and FREE. With HD and IPod now, I have cancelled both my Sirius and XM subscriptions.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d M Sport. Carbon Black, Black Leather, Sports Seats, Black Ash, Bluetooth, Auto Lights & Wipers, Navi Pro, Sunroof, Logic7, Anthracite Headlining, Heated Seats, Bi-Xenon�s, Twin DVD screens in the rear hooked up to a 10 disc DVD multi-changer, Clarion Wireless Headphones.

Shit! $58K!!!

You guys get some discount and the bloody thing is made closer to the Uk!!!

I think a 335i in the Uk comes in at around the ?38K mark, or $70k for you chaps!!

How about a M5? Uk they are around ?65k, anyone know the price in the US?

I want to move over the pond!
Old 04-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d M Sport. Carbon Black, Black Leather, Sports Seats, Black Ash, Bluetooth, Auto Lights & Wipers, Navi Pro, Sunroof, Logic7, Anthracite Headlining, Heated Seats, Bi-Xenon�s, Twin DVD screens in the rear hooked up to a 10 disc DVD multi-changer, Clarion Wireless Headphones.

Make that ?40,875 for the 335I vert!!! Stock with NO options!!!

Quick Reply: Went looking at teh 335i Convertible today