Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.
View Poll Results: BMW M6 or BMW M3
BMW M6
61.54%
BMW M3
38.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Ultimate BMW coupe: M6 or M3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks,

I'm having with a dilemma! I'm considering to sell my 5 series and go for an M coupe. Now the E92 M3 is the latest real M out there, with the latest engine and the latest gearbox (sort to speak). The M6 we all know (as being the coupe cousin of the M5) has the almighty V10 and the SMG III. Despite being massively more expensive than an M3 (roughly 50% more) you get the best sound BMW has to offer right now (my personal opinion) and the most powerful real M engine.

***Notice how i keep repeating the word "real" every time it's followed by M.

Also the SMG III (which i've tested) is much more butchery. Most of the times that's a good thing right? And i'm talking of the usual kick in the head that comes with the gear changes. But i'm ready to leave that behind if i would know the DCT is quicker or/and gives a better "racing" feel.

Then comes the question of looks. Personally i think next to the 5 series looks, the M3 design is the best design to come out from recent BMW designs. It's better IMHO than the M6, more aggressive.

Than there is weight. At aprox. 100 kgs difference that may be something to consider because those 100 kilos make a difference on the twisties if you ask me. And i'm not talking here about pure timings, but i'm talking of driving experience, of car feedback. Believe it or not, in my 5 series, i think i can sense quite some difference in handling when the car is fully loaded with fuel and when it's almost empty (or maybe that's just in my head).

And then there is the sound! OHHH the sound! Did i mention that already? The V10 is a symphony compared to the M3 V8.

And last but not least, the M3 being the latest real M product it won't receive important improvements as the M6. The M6 like the M5 is probably going to jump on the new platform in 2011. Most likely there will not be a CSL version of the M3 and of the M6, and the fact that they started shipping the Competition packages for those cars only supports the lack of CSL in the future.

PS: I also wanted to know if you'd like maybe an M6 with DCT and the other way around, case in which i'd like to ask why?

Cheers!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.

Not biased in any way
Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

The M6 IS the ultimate BMW coupe. Its the top statement, the top motor, and the top performer. The M3 is better if your goal is the best handling or cost savings. The M6 wins all other comparisons.

I too like the M6 sound, especially with an aftermarket additions such as Kellenars. It sounds so much better than the M5 for some reason.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Weight, agility and handling - M3, but the M3 is still heavier than it should be.
Engine - M6
Everyday usability - M3
Cachet and bragging rights - M6

Tough call - I think they're both excellent. Transmission choice would be DCT once the kinks have been ironed out, SMG III until that point.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='856944' date='Apr 23 2009, 06:53 PM
The M6 IS the ultimate BMW coupe. Its the top statement, the top motor, and the top performer. The M3 is better if your goal is the best handling or cost savings. The M6 wins all other comparisons.

I too like the M6 sound, especially with an aftermarket additions such as Kellenars. It sounds so much better than the M5 for some reason.
I couldnt agree more

...they did tune the M6 a bit sweeter than the M5, just like the 6er is tuned a bit different than the 5er

as far as the DCT poll question, well we dont know if it can handle high torque yet, so the jury is out; however I must say that SMGIII is awesome plain and simple, and one option that is so great that you cannot get on the M3 is M-HUD. It turns the race car cockpit into a fighter pilot setup, with the power band and shift lights...oh yeah, and if you sit in the M6 you can easily accept the premium, its nothing less than amazing

here's a little fun you can imagine looking forward to : http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m...eat-e63-m6.html

Ultimate BMW coupe: M6 or M3?-img_1932.jpg
Ultimate BMW coupe: M6 or M3?-img_1642.jpg
Ultimate BMW coupe: M6 or M3?-img_1963.jpg
Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

The M6 rocks. It is beautiful and a powerful statement of the current pinnacle of the BMW brand (at least until the point when BMW choses to make a halo supercar in the tradition of the M1).
Old 04-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' post='857066' date='Apr 24 2009, 04:12 AM
I couldnt agree more

...they did tune the M6 a bit sweeter than the M5, just like the 6er is tuned a bit different than the 5er

as far as the DCT poll question, well we dont know if it can handle high torque yet, so the jury is out; however I must say that SMGIII is awesome plain and simple, and one option that is so great that you cannot get on the M3 is M-HUD. It turns the race car cockpit into a fighter pilot setup, with the power band and shift lights...oh yeah, and if you sit in the M6 you can easily accept the premium, its nothing less than amazing

here's a little fun you can imagine looking forward to : http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m...eat-e63-m6.html

Attachment 77551
Attachment 77552
Attachment 77550
I didn't know that at all! I didn't know the M6 is tuned differently than the M5, like exhaust note or engine note.

Also i didn't know you don't get the M-HUD in the M3. Thanks for the head's up (pun intended) If you wouldn't have told me i may very well have taken it for granted.

Correct me if i'm wrong, you don't get the M seats in the M3 with the side bolsters automatic support. Right?

Did you guys see the competition package?

http://www.germancarzone.com/6-series/2567...-package-2.html

I'd like to ask if you can get the white leather interior with alpine white exterior? Sort of white in white
Old 04-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Senior Members

Hey but if you don't get the M6 HUD in the M3 here is what you can get:

And here is a nice promo:

And here you can find a review of the M6 with Competition package

Here's some insight m630
he suspension’s the key, then?
Absolutely. Yes, a car that comes with three-stage dampers – comfort, normal, sport – as standard should have the bases covered, but our previous drive in the M6 revealed a tendency for the nose to go light while accelerating hard from an already high speed. Strange, especially since the ever-so-similar M5 didn’t display the same characteristics. The Competition Package cures this flaw.

The trade-off, of course, is a firmer ride, even in the most comfortable setting. It’s nothing you can’t live with, but I guarantee that you’ll always default to comfort. That makes the normal and sport modes seem pretty redundant and unnecessarily complex – much like the clunky semi-auto gearbox (the dual-clutch gearbox in the M3 is so much faster and smoother) with its endless and pointless levels of adjustment.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 AM
Contributors

The comp package is great!! Unfortunatley they are not offering in the US, so we'll have to live with our normal setup, but I do like all the stories and compliments read about it...

As for the colors, alpine white with silverstone would look amazing, the M6 really looks great in the white!

So what r u gonna do??
Old 04-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' post='857489' date='Apr 24 2009, 04:41 PM
The comp package is great!! Unfortunatley they are not offering in the US, so we'll have to live with our normal setup, but I do like all the stories and compliments read about it...

As for the colors, alpine white with silverstone would look amazing, the M6 really looks great in the white!

So what r u gonna do??
Still undecided but I'm gonna try to sell my car. Due to heavy mods i think it will be hard to sell, unless i sell it for nothing.

Quick Reply: Ultimate BMW coupe: M6 or M3?