Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Turn Signal Cancel...Just When I thought I Had It...

Old 02-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I know there have been lengthy threads on the complexity (read: another answer for a question never asked) of our turn signals and their cancellation. I thought I had the "touch" on mine pretty well figured out to cancel and to get just 3 blips. Then I bought the new bike.

You think these are complex? The BMW bikes have self-cancelling signals, but they do so by a computerized calculation that measures distance over time. Huh?

Yup. That means that when you turn your signal on at an intersection, and sit in traffic waiting to turn left, your signals are patient and waiting for you to turn. Then, after proceeding several hundred feet, they will eventually shut off. Makes sense, but I find them going on for too long.

Then, comes the variation for lane changing. Turn them on, lets say at 70 mph, make your lane change, and eventually they will shut off, but again, the interval is too long, even though it is calculating time and distance (therefore speed) to shut them off.

Since the 80s or so, BMW has always had funky bike turn signals: individual side switches on each grip, and then a seperate cancellation button on the right grip. And then when you want emergency flashers, you use both thumbs to press both buttons simutaneously. Heard enough?

I will say however that their cruise control on the bike is much better than the car's stalk. The 3-position toggle switch within a sliding knob is too complex to explain here, but trust me that you can do it with a gloved thumb at 70 mph. Easier than signaling a turn!
Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I must say that I'm also the old school.

I do like the Yamaha turn signals better on a bike.
I do not know anything about the cruise on a new BMW bike.
But one, even an older person, gets used to new tech - maybe.

Driving a bike, while changing lanes, one goes for a open space open in front...
No car is faster than a bike around 30-80 mph.

(This is a complicated topic to discuss, chatting on the net.)

Also the E60 turnsignals fails me everyday at "my own junction".
I do live close to a turnpike that need double left turns to get in to.

But the E60 cruise is very easy to handle.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='386866' date='Feb 2 2007, 02:33 PM
I must say that I'm also the old school.
I'm definitely old school. I remember that in order to pass the driver's exam, you had to show them how to manually signal a left turn by sticking your arm straight out and to make a right turn you held your arm out and raised your hand up. Things were so much easier then. Anyone remember what the signal was if you were slowing down or coming to a stop?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Ray,

I have to agree with you that the BMW system is overly complex - especially when the car is jam packed with so much electrickery that a "stay on when stationary" after just flicking the lever would be simple to implement.

As you rightly say, electronic self-cancelling indicators have been around for quite a while - my 1978 Suzuki has them too.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

Anyone remember what the signal was if you were slowing down or coming to a stop?
[/quote]

Hang your left arm down along the door.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by jtp1947' post='386898' date='Feb 2 2007, 07:21 PM
Anyone remember what the signal was if you were slowing down or coming to a stop?
Hang your left arm down along the door.
Yup, with your palm rear-facing. And I still use it everyday on the bike to signal slowing or stopped traffic ahead. I'm terrified of rear-end collisions. One friend has had no less than THREE rear-end collisions while STOPPED on his BMW bikes (each totaled!).

Or, how about those early 1950s English vehicles that had those funky flapping, lighted plastic arms (about a foot long) that rose from the B-pillar to signal a turn? Talk about complexity!
Cheers,
Ray
Old 02-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='386917' date='Feb 2 2007, 08:36 PM
Yup, with your palm rear-facing. And I still use it everyday on the bike to signal slowing or stopped traffic ahead. I'm terrified of rear-end collisions. One friend has had no less than THREE rear-end collisions while STOPPED on his BMW bikes (each totaled!).

Or, how about those early 1950s English vehicles that had those funky flapping, lighted plastic arms (about a foot long) that rose from the B-pillar to signal a turn? Talk about complexity!
Cheers,
Ray
A neighbor of mine had a 1957 VW with those little-lighted-arm signals. They seemed to work OK, but he still made the then-conventional arm signals out the window. I do recall my father braking hard in a 1955 Ford SW...he threw his right arm across the car (to hold me down), and had to put his left arm (maybe he didn't do this) out the window to show that he was stopping.

Back to motorcycles, when going into and out of Sturgis, SD last year during the rally, I saw that motorcycle riders frequently made a gesture as they'd pass each other in which they point one finger down at the road. Is there symbolism here?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='386923' date='Feb 2 2007, 07:56 PM
I do recall my father braking hard in a 1955 Ford SW...he threw his right arm across the car (to hold me down), and had to put his left arm (maybe he didn't do this) out the window to show that he was stopping.
As long as he had his OTHER hand on the wheel...

I'm middle aged, but I remember laughing that they still had those hand signals in the driver's license handbook when I was learning. But as a young kid I do remember my dad instinctively reaching to bar me in during sudden stops with his right hand. And he always had his left arm resting on the window sill in summer (he didn't need no stinkin' air conditioning or seat belts). How did he do that? I guess they call them the greatest generation for a reason!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='386923' date='Feb 2 2007, 08:56 PM
Back to motorcycles, when going into and out of Sturgis, SD last year during the rally, I saw that motorcycle riders frequently made a gesture as they'd pass each other in which they point one finger down at the road. Is there symbolism here?
To my knowledge, offered to oncoming traffic, that's just thought to be a "cool way" to wave (not unlike the old V-sign with two fingers). In serious riding, behind others, a finger to the ground (to others riding behind) means "Watch Out, there's crap in the roadway right there" e.g. loose gravel, dead cat, oil spill, etc.

Given where and how you saw it, I can only assume it was a bit of bravado behind a simple greeting (usually an open gloved-hand wave), but nowadays, most Harley types won't wave at other-brand bikers....pathetic.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='386812' date='Feb 2 2007, 12:30 PM
Then, comes the variation for lane changing. Turn them on, lets say at 70 mph, make your lane change, and eventually they will shut off, but again, the interval is too long, even though it is calculating time and distance (therefore speed) to shut them off.

HUmmmmm sounds like the Rider isnt going fast enough....