Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Saw the new X5 today. not impressed

Old 12-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Being teased with the marketing materials of the new X5, I went down today to a local BMW dealer to see it. The marketing stuff looked really cool but the actual vehicle was ho-hum. They did not have any with the sports package, which usually helps aesthetically.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How was the interior? Better or worse than a 5-series?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Members

The interior felt kinda "plasticky"--I personally like the 5er interior better, more luxurious. The backseat is an improvement however; much more room and seats recline. The "third row" is a marketing gimmick it sucks--for dogs or kids under 6 only. I see the X5 as an OK alternative for the 5 series although it almost seems like the same car with different packaging. The driving experience was fantastic for an SUV but the 5 series of course feels "lighter" and more maneuvarable. I drove the 4.8 version--the inline-6 would be woefully slow due to the heavy weight of the vehible. Just my 5 cents worth.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

To be fair, I'd like to know how the interior compares to the outgoing X5. I think in this regard everything about it should be better, however, this is pure speculation. I've never driven the X5.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='364092' date='Dec 5 2006, 10:33 PM
To be fair, I'd like to know how the interior compares to the outgoing X5. I think in this regard everything about it should be better, however, this is pure speculation. I've never driven the X5.
I would be surprised if the interior was was not upgraded. The previous x5's interior was very bland and almsot felt cheap I did not like it at all. :thumbsdown:
Old 12-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Members

I've said it once and I'll say it again: If you are looking for the best interior go Merc or Lexus. Both brands offer greater luxury. BMW is about performance and driving experience. I placed an order for mine last month. Still waiting for a call back to negotiate price. Personally I feel the interior and options is on par with the 5 series.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by redondoman' post='365535' date='Dec 9 2006, 10:44 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again: If you are looking for the best interior go Merc or Lexus.
Interesting, I don't care for the interior of either. BMW used to have nice interiors but the ergonomics side of it has fallen off over the last 12 years. I actually like the Audi's.

FWIW, the E53 X5 interior never really was on the same par as the E39. So I wouldn't expect the current X5 to be equal to the E60.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Gray Dakota Leather | Steptronic | Cold Weather | Xenon | Premium Package Modifications: M Aero Kit | Carbon Fiber Kidney Grill | K&N Air Filter | Charcoal Filter Removed | Radenergie R10 Silver 20" soon | kW coilover V3 | SprintBooster soon | M5 trunk finisher Next planned mods: ?Hamann quad exhaust + Hamann quad rear diffuser + Hamann Front Lip?

I wanted to see one, but unfortunately there was no X5 at the BMW Seattle..
Old 12-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Performance Pkg, 6 speed manual transmission On-Order: 2007 BMW 530i, Titanium Gray, Black Leather, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, 6 speed manual transmission, Nav, HUD, PDC, L7, Sirius, Rear Heated Seats

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='365556' date='Dec 9 2006, 11:14 PM
Interesting, I don't care for the interior of either. BMW used to have nice interiors but the ergonomics side of it has fallen off over the last 12 years. I actually like the Audi's.

FWIW, the E53 X5 interior never really was on the same par as the E39. So I wouldn't expect the current X5 to be equal to the E60.
My wife has a Lexus RX330 and the interior is a mixed bag for me. The colors and materials all seem top quality and blend well together. The carpeting seems thicker than in my 330i.

The controls for the radio is a different story. I can never remember which knobs to push/turn for a specific function. I'm constantly having to take my eyes off the road to figure out how to switch between AM/FM, change the fequency etc... I'll take idrive. My wife still doesn't know how to set the climate control properly. Too many knobs. The radio/climate control display is hard to see in the daylight also.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Gray Dakota Leather | Steptronic | Cold Weather | Xenon | Premium Package Modifications: M Aero Kit | Carbon Fiber Kidney Grill | K&N Air Filter | Charcoal Filter Removed | Radenergie R10 Silver 20" soon | kW coilover V3 | SprintBooster soon | M5 trunk finisher Next planned mods: ?Hamann quad exhaust + Hamann quad rear diffuser + Hamann Front Lip?

Anyone has pics of this yet?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saw the new X5 today. not impressed