Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

off topic, but maybe you have suggestons for dead battery in 3-4 month

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Our 2006 Z4 BMW (14,500 miles) has been to the dealer three times in the past 6 months because the car would not start - dead battery.

* The first two times we did not even get a click out of the battery; the third time it at least clicked.
* The first two times the car sat for 5 days without being driven; the third time it was driven the night before.
* It is kept in a garage so we could see if there were any lights left on-and there were none.

The dealer claims that we must drive the car at least 20 miles a day to keep the battery fresh. We drive 28 miles 5 days a week and the car is used 7 days a week. The dealer supposedly put a new battery in the first two times and now says that we need to hook a trickle charger up to the car every night if we want to be sure the car will start. They also claim that the batteries were not defective, bu tnot charged - but replaced them as a curtosety.

When the dealer calculates a daily miles driven, they calculate 3 months at a time and we fall a few miles short of their 20 miles per day. I have requested something from BMW corp regarding the 20 miiles a day but don't expect anything.

Any suggesting/comments?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains
Old 10-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

9 years ago i had the same problem on a brand new '98 boxster. dealer looked at the alternator, replaced factory battery w/ another porsche battery,i got a trickle charger, etc.
finally i went to pepboys and bought an optima battery. i know it sounds weird, but that solved the problem.
good luck with yours!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Members

My 2003 Z4 sat for weeks without the battery going dead. You don't have to drive it 20 miles a day. Once the car is running, a good 15-20 minutes of driving (not idle) will fully recharge an almost dead battery.

Might check your states lemon law. If you've had it back to the dealer for the same problem repetative times during a certain period, they may have to take the car back. I don't know yor state, but the car may be too old. Check it out.

I've got a SWAG; you have a minro short, such as a bad radio or other stand device that pulls low current (e.g., navigation, etc).

Originally Posted by mrmomaz' post='482757' date='Oct 17 2007, 01:25 PM
Our 2006 Z4 BMW (14,500 miles) has been to the dealer three times in the past 6 months because the car would not start - dead battery.

* The first two times we did not even get a click out of the battery; the third time it at least clicked.
* The first two times the car sat for 5 days without being driven; the third time it was driven the night before.
* It is kept in a garage so we could see if there were any lights left on-and there were none.

The dealer claims that we must drive the car at least 20 miles a day to keep the battery fresh. We drive 28 miles 5 days a week and the car is used 7 days a week. The dealer supposedly put a new battery in the first two times and now says that we need to hook a trickle charger up to the car every night if we want to be sure the car will start. They also claim that the batteries were not defective, bu tnot charged - but replaced them as a curtosety.

When the dealer calculates a daily miles driven, they calculate 3 months at a time and we fall a few miles short of their 20 miles per day. I have requested something from BMW corp regarding the 20 miiles a day but don't expect anything.

Any suggesting/comments?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains