Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

No BMW diesels in U.S. until 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sooner the better, I say. Efficient diesels are appealing because of the range they enable (and the torque too ). It's not the $2.75 per gallon price that kills me as much as having to fill up every 250 miles or less.

BMW NA: Bring us more choices, please.

Diesel News
Old 01-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='225253' date='Jan 16 2006, 11:36 PM
The sooner the better, I say. Efficient diesels are appealing because of the range they enable (and the torque too ). It's not the $2.75 per gallon price that kills me as much as having to fill up every 250 miles or less.

BMW NA: Bring us more choices, please.

Diesel News
And belive me when i say: Ur gas(petrol) is still cheap.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

YES, yes, yes i want a 535d or whatever V8 diesel BMWNA and BMWAG is willing to let sail to our shores.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributors

The range is definitely a great benefit with diesel. I have heard people doing over 600 miles of highway cruising between refills with their E60 diesels.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I say lets bring over here and let the BMW driving public decide. It appears they work out pretty good in the UK.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

hang on - are you seriously saying you can't buy a 530d in USA?

(or a 525d or a 535d (i wish)?)

WTF is that about - BMW need kicking !
Old 02-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Mr 5er' post='242835' date='Feb 19 2006, 11:04 PM
I say lets bring over here and let the BMW driving public decide. It appears they work out pretty good in the UK.
The problem seems to be a domestic one for you.

US diesel distribution channels are not comprehensive enough
and the quality of US raffinery diesel is not good enough for
modern diesel person cars.

So as soon as the "small profit" gas companies like
Exxon etc. will get into diesel, no 535d's for you continent.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I hope you can get them one day. Ok they don't have that nice BMW soundtrack but thats a small tradeoff compared to the effortless performance and massive economy on offer. That said under full throttle the six cylinder diesels do make a nice noise
Old 02-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='244316' date='Feb 22 2006, 07:24 PM
The problem seems to be a domestic one for you.

US diesel distribution channels are not comprehensive enough
and the quality of US raffinery diesel is not good enough for
modern diesel person cars.

So as soon as the "small profit" gas companies like
Exxon etc. will get into diesel, no 535d's for you continent.
If there isn't enough diesel what the hell goes in your '18 wheeler' 'rigs' ?

Don't tell me it's 4-star !

Convoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Contributors

There is plenty of Diesel around the US, I should know, I have a Diesel Pickup. However, there are still quite a few fuel stations that do not generally in town, but you can always find it. Truckers, just hit the Truck Stops, and they know where every one of them are.

Currently, the Diesel that is sold in the US has too much sulfur, way more than Diesel in Europe, which limits what manufactures can do to reduce regulated emmissions.

The Big problem is California, and it's California Air Resources Board. They have put extreme limits on the NOx emmisions, that manufacutures can't meet the requirements with the high sulfur diesel fuel. Low sulfur fuel is mandated for the US in 2007 I believe. Four other States follow the CARB regulations. Even the MB 320 CDI is not sold in those five states that follow CARB. Supposedly the MB Bluetec with the low sulfur fuel will meet the current CARB regulations.

I talked to a BMW representative when I was at the 3 Across America Event in San Diego, and he stated that BMW tried the diesels once, but what happened was that they could not be sold in the five states, some of there biggest markets, and found that for instance, someone from California would go buy the diesel BMW in nearby state that would allow it, and then when they tried to register the car in California, was refused. Then the owner was after BMW to buy back the car. He said BMW learned there lesson, and won't even sell a diesel BMW in the other 45 States that they could meet the emissions because of this.

He also told me that typically when a diesel car comes out that can meet the CARB regulations, that CARB will revise the regulations and then the car will no longer meet the regulations. :thumbsdown:

Must say I was bummed. Hopefully they can get them certified. I would be very interested in a manual diesel BMW E60.

Quick Reply: No BMW diesels in U.S. until 2008