Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

the new bmw

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Custom Matt White Paint by PLATINUM VIP | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | 6 Speed Manual | Premium Sound | Oem ///M5 Front Bumper | Oem ///M5 Rear Bumper | OEM ///M5 Side Skirts | Oem ///M5 Trunk Finisher | Oem ///M5 Fenders | 20% Tint | Vip Modular Wheels | 21x9.5 F | 21 x11 R | Magnaflow Exhaust | AAA Oval Tips | RPI Scoops | KW V2 Coilovers | Predator Ice V2 Angel Eyes | LED Side Turn Signal Markers ( Smoked ) Cross Drilled Rotors | CF Engine cover | Axxis Deluxe Break Pads | K&N Drop in

BMW GINA Light Visionary ModelBMW just unveiled its latest design philosophy ? via a radical concept car ? that will sure to raise some eyebrows in the automotive industry. Touted as the "game changer" for the "development of tomorrow's mobility," the new concept centers around the GINA principle, for Geometry and Functions In "N" Adaptions. What this means is the ability for BMW to think outside the box and innovate maximum ideas with mininum amount of the usual constraints associated with car design.

The first translation of the GINA philosophy into physical being is demonstrated in the Light Visionary Model concept. The only specs that may be familiar are the car's realistic 8-cylinder powertrain package residing in a roadster built from an aluminum space-frame chassis with two double tailpies and 20-in. alloy wheels at the corners. Other than that, it is the Visionary's exterior body that will catch all of us by surprise. It is skinned by four large pieces of flexible material that can stretch and contract based on a number of substructures that can move about on the chassis with electro and electrohydraulic controls.

There are four main pieces of skin that make up the Visionary's body: The largest component starts at the front of the car and extends all the way to the base of the windscreen, then down and across the two doors, ending at the rear edge. The next two fabric-like skins begin at the front lower rocker panels, then run across the rear wheel arches to the back. The last piece of skin makes up the rear deck. The roadster's scissor-type doors open with its outer skin wrinkled in a very clearly defined pattern, but they are stretched back into a silky-smooth surface when the doors close.

The fabric that covers the Visionary's body is constructed from a waterproof and temperature-resistant mesh netting on the outer layer, supported by a flexible metal- wire structure underneath to maintain the skin's tension and smoothness. Around a few areas where curvatures of the skin are called for, carbon struts are added to allow for higher flexibility while keeping the rounded contours.

The Light Visionary Model is striking not only because of its fabric outer skin, but also its utility in form following function. Because of the flexible skin, the headlights can be hidden or exposed when necessary. The side markers to signal lane changes are not visible on the outside until they are turned on during use ? their light shines though the translucent (but not transparent) cover. Airflow around the car can be managed actively as the skin can be closed, opened or stretched based on need; the rocker-panel shape can be adjusted for better aerodynamics. And because the rear deck is covered by one single piece of fabric, the spoiler can be completely hidden when it is not in use.

Chris Bangle, Head of BMW Group Design, says, "Personal customer requirements will broaden the context of our products and change the core values that define our industry along the way." That's why BMW is focused on breaking new ground and finding innovative design solutions. And by the looks of the GINA Light Visionary Model, BMW is in the forefront of ingenious automotive design.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/video/index.ht...ctid=1604925253
Attached Thumbnails the new bmw-autos_content_landing_pages_402481893_1213313482.jpg   the new bmw-autos_content_landing_pages_730925766_1213313480.jpg  
Old 06-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

The new body skin looks very interesting, but is there any info on the safety?

How light would the it be?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Custom Matt White Paint by PLATINUM VIP | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | 6 Speed Manual | Premium Sound | Oem ///M5 Front Bumper | Oem ///M5 Rear Bumper | OEM ///M5 Side Skirts | Oem ///M5 Trunk Finisher | Oem ///M5 Fenders | 20% Tint | Vip Modular Wheels | 21x9.5 F | 21 x11 R | Magnaflow Exhaust | AAA Oval Tips | RPI Scoops | KW V2 Coilovers | Predator Ice V2 Angel Eyes | LED Side Turn Signal Markers ( Smoked ) Cross Drilled Rotors | CF Engine cover | Axxis Deluxe Break Pads | K&N Drop in

Originally Posted by GQuK545i' post='603472' date='Jun 15 2008, 11:17 PM
The new body skin looks very interesting, but is there any info on the safety?

How light would the it be?

i dnt really know .. i'm sure bmw makes the safest cars to drive ..
Old 06-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

Originally Posted by hiepsta' post='603478' date='Jun 16 2008, 01:30 AM
sorry just saw the link
Old 06-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

My brain hurts from reading that...
Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='603482' date='Jun 15 2008, 11:33 PM
My brain hurts from reading that...
lol ...
Old 06-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Members

very interesting concept, but 3 factors that may worry people:
1. Safety issues regarding collisions
2. Vandalism, like someone using keys or knifes to damage the surface... might be super expensive to fix, and might need to change a large portion of it's covering....
3. Very hot weather conditions... what happens to the material with such extreme temperature conditions, and also after several snow and rain washings to the car (in other words, wear and tear)

otherwise, wow, nice concept
Old 06-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Almighty JungleBoy' post='603499' date='Jun 16 2008, 12:06 AM
very interesting concept, but 3 factors that may worry people:
1. Safety issues regarding collisions
2. Vandalism, like someone using keys or knifes to damage the surface... might be super expensive to fix, and might need to change a large portion of it's covering....
3. Very hot weather conditions... what happens to the material with such extreme temperature conditions, and also after several snow and rain washings to the car (in other words, wear and tear)

otherwise, wow, nice concept

+1 ...
Old 06-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Woo hoo no more door dings!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Members

My Ride: '89 BMW E34 525i M20

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='603762' date='Jun 16 2008, 12:11 PM
Woo hoo no more door dings!
Considering it's like one huge piece, I can't imagine replacement costs, as you'd have to buy a whole skin if you tore it.
Still waiting for a cybernetic organism terminator car.

Anyways, wouldn't the flexible skin mess with aerodynamics, seeing as it's stretchy? I could see it having sail-like properties in areas where the wind force is highest.

Quick Reply: the new bmw