Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

My X3 Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 05:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

So, my 545 is in the shop, again, to get the dash reassembled and for the 2nd pass at getting the TCU/CPT9000 combo working. In the interim, I was able to secure an X3 2.5 as a loaner. I specifically requested the X3 as my wife and I are looking to take Euro Delivery of one for her next car next Spring.

My loaner is spec'ed out thusly: Premium Package, Auto. It's Jet Black with Beige Sensatec.

The car is lovely. Here are my impressions after one full day.

1. The 2.5L motor is perfectly adequate for commuting and for the kind of driving that my wife does, although if she gets too much "stick time" on the 545, she might start clamoring for 3L X3.

2. The Sensatec is crap. If they had just used the synthetic leather all over instead of mixing it with the vinyl fabric on the bolsters and door armrests it would look much better, like the "Leatherette" that's available on the 3er and base 5er's. As it is, it looks terrible.

3. The panoramic moonroof is amazing. I can't believe how wide it opens and how airy the cabin feels when then sunscreen is removed. I haven't taken it on the freeway yet, so I can't comment on noise, but it's a sunroof; it's going to be loud when it's open.

4. The interior trim materials are just fine. The dash material has a significantly "knobbier" texture than the dash material on say a 3er, but I think the more rugged look suits this little "grass and gravel" offroader. The center-dash cluster does have a fair bit of plastic, but it's textured in such a way as to look and feel "soft," like the plastics in my old 330i. I really liked the main instrument cluster look. I actually miss the "fun-meter" MPG vacuum gauge though, and I wish that they had kept the symmetry of their other instrument clusters and put the fuel gauge under the speedo and the engine temp gauge under the tach. As it is, both fuel and temp are under the tach.

5. The rear compartment is surprisingly big for a small SUV, and with the seats folded down there is a _ton_ of room back there.

6. The ride is very nice; at least on my 6 mile commute route. I think I understand why some people complain that it's "rough." I'm almost positive it's because the vehicle has the suspension of a true BMW, but the CG is about a foot higher, and the seating position is higher, too, such that body motions are amplified by being higher than the axes of rotation, just like on a cruise ship when you're on the top deck in heavy seas. It's no worse than my dad's old Toyota Landcruiser, or his new Tahoe. SUV's will bounce around a little; it's just a function of their mass distribution.

Anyway, having this little extended test drive has confirmed that we will be getting an X3 next. It has my wifes stamp of approval in the looks and drive department.

Now, anyone know if the new I6's will make it into the X3's for MY2005? Maybe a mid-year upgrade?

-MrB
Old 08-27-2004, 07:53 AM
Members

yeah, I have the 3.0 X3 and its very fun to drive, we had a minivan but wanted somethign smaller, but still could be used to store alot of stuff. It drives liek a car, some roads it does feel a bit rough, but it also handles great fora SUV, if the ride was great, then the handling wouldnt be as good. The sunroof is awesome!!! That makes the vechile for me! LEt me know if u have any question about it as we have about 5000kms on it and we can let u know to +'s and -'s
Old 08-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

I had a 3.0 loaner and, of course, road tested it fully.

Pretty fun.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2000 540.. M sport Pkg, Dunlop SP9000, X3 3L.

I have a 540 with sport suspension and just tested and bought a X3 3L for the wife. I did not notice the ride being choppy or anything as I had heard that is was. I took it over some pretty rough roads and around some high speed Ss and it felt just like a BMW should........ so I bought it. Trading MDX which has been amazing reliable car and more plush but it is too big and even though it handles well for a big rig it is no BMW.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

Well, based on the new MY2005 pricing and updates to the X3, we will definitely be getting the 3.0 X3 rather than the 2.5. I ran the numbers, and with the new pricing, a 2005 X3 3.0 with NAV the same as a 2004 X3 2.5 with no nav.

I sure hope that the new I6 motors make their way into the X3's mid-year production cycle. The rumors are that they will trickle into the 5er beginning with March '05 production; so maybe that will be the case for the rest of the models.

Our tentative ED schedule will have us in Tuscany/Lake District from 11 April through 23 April. I'm angling to get tickets to the F1 Grand Prix in Imola on 17 April.

Can't wait to see the '05 X3 in person. FWIW, there are US pricing guides in the "Ask-a-dealer" forum at www.bimmerfest.com/forums.

-MrB
Old 09-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

wow the price has been lowered a lot in the us!!! I'm gonna check the dutch website to see if they made it less expensive over here too!
Old 09-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 29 2004, 12:47 PM
wow the price has been lowered a lot in the us!!! I'm gonna check the dutch website to see if they made it less expensive over here too!
[snapback]39327[/snapback]
Well, in the US, there is so much competition for small SUV's, BMWNA had to make the X3 more compelling. Actually, they didn't lower the price, they just made certain things that were optional now standard, like the giant panoramic moonroof. Steptronic is also a no cost option in the 3.0L X3. The also are changing some of the interior materials, like the plastic piece that trims the radio/AC controls. It's now going to be a soft-touch plastic; like the 3er I think.

The 3.0L also gets chrome kidney grill slats and chrome window trim. There are some other, less important, changes, like matching nets and map boxes for beige interiors, different behavior of the "sensatec" seating material.

I'm getting pumped

-MrB
Old 10-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Senior Members

i'll be looking at the X3 as well. The 3L sounds pretty good.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:24 AM
Contributors

We've had ours for a few weeks now. I love the thing. It is a lot roomier in the back than my 5er. Make sure you get the regular suspension though and not the sports one. We tried both and the sports ride is VERY rough. The height is the same on both.
We have the 3 litre aswell. I'm just getting used to the fuel economy, as it uses 50% more than my diesel, but hey. Maybe we should have waited for the 3.0d to come out. The thing goes like stink though.
You have to get that panoramic sunroof, pdc and the servotronic though. My wife can park this one better than here old estate car because of it. (no, she doesn't use the sunroof to park..)
Old 10-17-2004, 04:36 AM
JDN
Contributors

Add me to the X3 enthusiast list. The loaner doesn't have all of the extras that FF has for his wife, but I like it. Great visibility and handling for an SUV. Good handling in the mountains, too.

Quick Reply: My X3 Experience