Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

My "New" Ride!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAAAAAT!!! 1972? Yes, the car is just about a decade OLDER than me! I am crazy.

I REALLY wanted an E9 3.0 CS coupe since I already have a sedan (the E60), but the more I searched, the more I realized that no matter how good they looked, most are absolute rust buckets unless restored to concours condition. NOT realistic for me nor do I have the time or money to do so. I've always loved the styling and character of vintage BMW's. I was on the verge of buying another favorite of mine, a 2002 to slowly work on and use as a daily "beater." Being spoiled with 4 doors from the E60, I eventually decide another sedan could work... so the E3 was the only solution given that it is the 4 door version of the E9. Plus, the fact that Karmann built (for BMW) the E9's with a faulty honeycomb design that allowed water to be stored in small compartments causing rust was a deal breaker for me. Luckily the E3's were built by BMW with a different design. So happens I found this particular example very close to where I live, and the owner was a vintage car enthusiast which was a great sign. He was even kind enough to show me some of his vintage collection consisting of some Jaguars, Audis, and BMW's, one of which was another E3!

I have owned this car 3 weeks exactly from today. My time is VERY limited with 1 full time job, 1 part time job, a GF, plus a few side business projects and trying to have a social life. Even so, I've been making time each Saturday to work on it. Granted the car is not rust free or anything near perfect, but it is probably one of the better conditioned examples I've seen so far in original condition.

Future plans:
- refresh entire suspension / upgrade to coilovers (diy)
- remove cruise control module (diy)
- redo headliner (diy)
- swap stock front seats with either BMW Recaro's from an e21 or flow fit seats I found from an e24 (diy)
- repair cracked dash (diy)
- change plugs (diy)
- swap the HUGE steering wheel for maybe a Nardi wheel (diy)
- clean up wiring

So far I've cleaned things up from when I first purchased the car, identified the ares of rust, and already removed the passenger front seat and rear seats.

Please enjoy the photos and I'll do my best to update each time I work on the car:

3-19-11

Distant relatives

The Bavaria

I will be swapping out the white California plates for some vintage blue California plates

I will need to get used to this..
Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Contributors

Let the fun begin!

Original rear seats in excellent condition.

Fronts are so so. Front drivers has the bottom redone where the passenger side is OEM but not in the best condition with the rips.

3 door panels are in excellent condition. The drivers side rear has a small rip.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Contributors

Trunk

Trunk cover off. Unexposed areas are pristine and paint looks as if new from factory. Just need to clean things up a bit more.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Cool car! Project cars are the best!
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

nice mel, congrats and good luck with the project...

looking forward to see the progress of this...hope you keep this "restoration journal" updated

</subscribed
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Looks like a fun project car Melvin!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Contributors

3-26-11

Today I worked on removing the interior. All the seats were pretty easy to remove. I started with the passenger front.

I'm not sure wtf the previous owner was doing with the rear dash, but this is what I found after I removed the dash and speakers.

Rear seats were even easier to remove than the fronts haha

This was pretty nasty to see..

I will be going through the entire interior and hope to clean off all the glue, gunk, tar and whatever else was used to install the interior at the factory. Till next week..
Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Man! Intense! I don't think I have quite the patience to do a restoration. Looks like a project that'll keep you occupied.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats Mel. looking forward to seeing her progress
Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the support guys. I've been pretty MIA from the forums as of late with the new job and all, but I thought I'd share with everyone the "new toy." Let's not call it "the money pit" just yet.

Oh and FYI, all the orange stuff is NOT rust. It is actually the OEM factory foam/padding that is starting to crumble and collect on the baseboards due to age.

This is my attempt at adding a little substance to my posts and the forum heh.