5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Other BMW Models (https://5series.net/forums/other-bmw-models-12/)
-   -   M3 Vs GTR Vs Cayman S (https://5series.net/forums/other-bmw-models-12/m3-vs-gtr-vs-cayman-s-89258/)

e6t 11-15-2009 10:01 AM

if i didnt have to have two car seats, i would have gotten a gt-r.

JetBlack5OC 11-15-2009 09:31 PM

My brother-in-law is also now looking at the GT-R. He has been doing some research, he plans on it being a daily driver. Eventhough some have said the GT-R is not a daily-driver, many owners have stated otherwise. Even some owners driving them in the winter with blizzaks. There are some great deals out there on very low mileage GT-R's, especially when you compare to the markup some dealers still charge. There is not another car on the planet than can equal its speed per dollar.

If you don't need use of back seats, get the GT-R. If you do, get a M3 sedan.

sdg1871 11-15-2009 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='1055633' date='Nov 16 2009, 01:31 AM
My brother-in-law is also now looking at the GT-R. He has been doing some research, he plans on it being a daily driver. Eventhough some have said the GT-R is not a daily-driver, many owners have stated otherwise. Even some owners driving them in the winter with blizzaks. There are some great deals out there on very low mileage GT-R's, especially when you compare to the markup some dealers still charge. There is not another car on the planet than can equal its speed per dollar.

If you don't need use of back seats, get the GT-R. If you do, get a M3 sedan.

+1 on just about everything. I have read reports that the GT-R suspension is pretty damn hard but, not having ridden in or driven one, I don't know that for a fact (although I never had a car where the passengers complained as much about a rough and uncomfortable ride as my Infiniti M45 Sport).

Bteljuice 11-16-2009 05:40 AM

Well, to be honest, money is not much of an issue here.

If he wants to go for the M3, it surely wont be the sedan.

It seems the votes and the comments are going mostly towards the GTR. Do any of you know how is the maintenance of this car? (electronics, engine,mechanical parts). I surely don't want him to get problems like the constant HPFP on most of the 335,535 engines and have the car at the dealer every 3months.

My friend is mainly depending on me to help him pick a car as he has seen my knowledge about my E60(thanks to you guys) and several other cars and how much I take care of my baby.

He currently has a RR SC Sport and a Mustang GT V8. So you see, he is quite fond of power. That is why he is going for performance cars but to be honest, he is a very careful man. He doesn't drive fast, he just likes extra the oumphh at red lights.

He has thought of the Challenger SR8 but doesn't want another American muscle since they are not comfortable as daily drive.

pjinca 11-16-2009 05:46 AM

I (like Scott) voted the GT-R for sheer performance. However, for a daily driver I would go for the all around performance and comfort given by the M3 - there simply is nothing like it. I love the M3 and if I were shorter and single I would get one in a heart beat.

Bteljuice 11-16-2009 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1055841' date='Nov 16 2009, 09:46 AM
I (like Scott) voted the GT-R for sheer performance. However, for a daily driver I would go for the all around performance and comfort given by the M3 - there simply is nothing like it. I love the M3 and if I were shorter and single I would get one in a heart beat.

I thought people got the GTR because they couldn't afford the M3. I mean, sure it has more power but that is what "I" thought.

I mean why do people go with an M3 rather than a carrera Turbo, simply because it is cheaper with a closer performance. No?

Same thing with a carrera Turbo rather than a Ferrari. Am I wrong here?

pjinca 11-16-2009 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='1055851' date='Nov 16 2009, 06:54 AM
I thought people got the GTR because they couldn't afford the M3. I mean, sure it has more power but that is what "I" thought.

I mean why do people go with an M3 rather than a carrera Turbo, simply because it is cheaper with a closer performance. No?

Same thing with a carrera Turbo rather than a Ferrari. Am I wrong here?

Actually they are about the same price - here in the US they are about the same price ($70K approx.). So there is no real price advantage. The difference is exclusivity here. Performance is REAL close, but overall comfort and daily driving edge would go to the M3.

Bteljuice 11-16-2009 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1055853' date='Nov 16 2009, 09:56 AM
Actually they are about the same price - here in the US they are about the same price ($70K approx.). So there is no real price advantage. The difference is exclusivity here. Performance is REAL close, but overall comfort and daily driving edge would go to the M3.

Oh, I didn't know that.

In the middle east, the GTR is about 15-20k cheaper (depending the country). That is why I assumed it was the reason.

Thanks for the extra info.

sdg1871 11-16-2009 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1055853' date='Nov 16 2009, 09:56 AM

MSRP on a loaded new GT-R is about $87K. MSRP on a loaded M3 is a little over $70K.

In terms of power, acceleration and speed, the M3 does not even come close to the GT-R: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...omparison_tests

The GT-R acceleration numbers are more on par with Ferrari and Lambo than with M3.

In terms of intangibles, driving feel, refinement, etc., M3 has the edge.

Bteljuice 11-16-2009 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1055884 (Post 1055884)
In terms of power, acceleration and speed, the M3 does not even come close to the GT-R: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...omparison_tests

The GT-R acceleration numbers are more on par with Ferrari and Lambo than with M3.

In terms of intangibles, driving feel, refinement, etc., M3 has the edge.

Thanks for the link :thumbsup: