Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

M Manager interviewed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

Kay Segler, head of the M-division has been interviewed by Swedish auto, motor und sport. And while Iceman is looking for the German magazine, the rest of you get the slightly polished Google Translate version below:

High performance in any environment optimizes, what is really the future of M-cars?

Good, thanks. We can see M as a separate, strong brand within the BMW and the demand seems to increase rather than vice versa. M models have all the genes from BMW in general and particularly from motor sport, which is one of the cornerstones of the brand.

You have just backed away from Formula 1 and threatens to jump the WTCC. What's happening?
We have always seen motorsport as important. BMW participates in many classes and championships worldwide. We have a long history in motor sport and we will always compete where there is fierce competition and it makes it in the WTCC. In particular, the WTCC has the potential to grow in the future.
Now we are competing in sports car racing with the BMW M3 GT4 actually built in the factory, among other M cars, and not at M-Sport. I can also reveal that we are currently considering building a series M3 GT4 to be street legal. Decision on a "civilian version" of the M3 GT4 taken soon.

Generally, what gives racing? Can you pass on details from racing cars to street cars?
Yes, except for some component tests on motor side we get lots of experience with chassis settings that we can use when we match the design or Chassis. We test both our racing cars and production cars on the north curcuit of the N?rburgring and experience from being built into all M-cars.
I can take some other examples: the crankcase in several of our engines are cast in the same factory that makes crankcase to our race engines, which use knowledge from the racetrack. And we have carbon fibre roof in M3, also developed for racing cars before it was incorporated in the street car production.

How many M-cars are sold each year?
Last year we sold 24 000 M-cars, but I want to point out that sales figures very much depend on whether we launch new models or not. When we have new models are selling out, this year we hope the new X6 and the new X5, which will give the figures a little "boost". But competition is fierce, especially from Porsche.

We will see a cheaper, simpler M-model in 1-series?
It is difficult to combine high performance with value for money in that segment where the 1-series is available. I think it will be difficult to make a real M-model that does not cost much more than the rest of the series.

CO2-hunting, how can the M-models?
Start / Stop will also be in M-models, we are chasing the CO2 just like BMW in general. We will be the best performance of the manufacturers also for the environment. A five-liter M3 does not exist yet, but we strive in that direction and one day, we are certainly there.

Hybrids and electrification, will go into in M-models as well?
We will certainly include details such as the automotive world in general view, when it comes to direct hybrid applications, they are not relevant at this time.

Hybrid technology from F1, why not use it?
We obviously look at it but we must remember that the hybrid system in a Formula 1 car is different than what we see in standard car. It is fast and large increase in performance in a very short time, production cars have different requirements so the system can not be transferred directly. But believe me that we will benefit from the experience from F1 in some way.

Is it difficult to communicate 500-horse 3-series cars in a world crying out for 1-liter cars?
Of course it is so. But we work just as hard to reduce consumption as any other, perhaps more severely. And an M-owner can run more economical than many others, depending on driving style. It is only when the use of all power consumption increases.

Here at the Frankfurt you show a concept car with two electric motors and small three cylinder diesel engine. Is this the future of the M-model?
I would say that the technology of the concept will be used also in M-models. But how to do it is not clear. Hybrid Operation in our F1 car weighs 40 kilograms and it is very. We work really hard with the weight loss, there are major savings to be done. And in general, of course, lighter cars that consume less and above all, they become more dynamic to drive - which has always been the case for M-cars.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='1020918' date='Sep 30 2009, 09:47 AM
I can also reveal that we are currently considering building a series M3 GT4 to be street legal. Decision on a "civilian version" of the M3 GT4 taken soon.
DO IT
Old 09-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Contributors

what a crap interview, m is really dead as we know it :thumbsdown:
Old 09-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='1020953' date='Sep 30 2009, 07:36 AM
DO IT
+1 I'd LOVE to see it!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by m630' post='1020997' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:29 AM
An M3 GT4 street version an further adaptation of F1 technology into M cars and M is dead? I don't get it.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1021089' date='Sep 30 2009, 09:31 AM
An M3 GT4 street version an further adaptation of F1 technology into M cars and M is dead? I don't get it.
+1 J, a 5 litre 3 series??!!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='1021110' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:49 PM
+1 J, a 5 litre 3 series??!!
I think this maybe where there's something lost in translation...talking about reducing CO2 yet mentioning a 5 liter M3?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by m630' post='1020997' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:29 AM
I really hope we're both wrong here, but I know exactly where you're coming from. The comment in the interview that caught my eye was this one:

"M models have all the genes from BMW in general and particularly from motor sport, which is one of the cornerstones of the brand."

When I look at the new X5M and X6M, I really do struggle to see the connection with cars like the M3, M5 and M6. That motorsport DNA is clearly evident in the M3 through M6, but I just don't see it in the new M SUV and SAV.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1021164' date='Sep 30 2009, 01:28 PM
I really hope we're both wrong here, but I know exactly where you're coming from. The comment in the interview that caught my eye was this one:

"M models have all the genes from BMW in general and particularly from motor sport, which is one of the cornerstones of the brand."

When I look at the new X5M and X6M, I really do struggle to see the connection with cars like the M3, M5 and M6. That motorsport DNA is clearly evident in the M3 through M6, but I just don't see it in the new M SUV and SAV.

its the in between writing that worries me, just like you. Im quite concerned for the direction as my often rants point towards
Old 09-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1021089' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:31 PM
well its contradictory speak from Mr K, F1 tech is basically dead now that they've pulled out and chaged philosophy, and the chances we'd ever see a GT4 M3 in the US are about 0%, imho...remember, they dont ship the rarest or rawest cars in the US...we dont get true CSLs and we dont get Competition editions...if they were to do a GT4, we'd just have to drool from our shores, not to mention the cost would be beyond prohibitive for what we'd get. todays GT4 is EUR120.000,00 or roughly $180K USD...yes i luv it but no id not spend that type of coin on an M3....besides, who knows what will happen in the next gen of the M3, they say its going to be a 6 cyl turbo, how that works out to a GT2 and GT4 car is anyone guess, but least of all likely to make it to a street version.

How could they even make this into a street car?

GT4
Specifications:
Race bodyshell GT4, painted in alpinwhite
Carbon roof , Makrolon rear and side windows
S65 8-cylinder engine with single mass flywheel, race clutch and release bearing
optimized race exhaust system
6-speed H-pattern gearbox (series ratios)
final drive i = 3,85 with lamella differential and cooling
FT3-fuel tank system 100l
air condition system of series car
optimized suspension with adjustable ?HLINS race shocks, stiffer anti-rollbars and suspension mountings
AP racing brake system 385 mm (FA) and 355 mm (RA) with monoblock calipers
ABS race spec.
BBS rims 9,5?18” and 10?18” with Dunlop tyres
Quick-release steering wheel
Race seat Recaro Pro Racer SPG Hans and safety belt
Fire extinguisher system and necessary safety devices
Basic display with laptimer
Xenon headlight
Airjack system
Price: 120.000,00 EUR (excl. VAT)

Options:
RECARO seat Pro Racer SPA Hans 950,00 EUR