Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

A little cheated re: new 3 series

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,
I have got my 545i for about 6 months and absolutely love it! This is my 3rd bimmer in a row and no way I am looking at anything else. I bought my car pretty loaded w/ nav, cd changer, sport/premium/winter packages, etc.
A friend of mine just got a new 330i and I was a little surprised at all the stuff the car comes with for the price. I mean it has better sport seats than our car (I am comparing it to my sport seats) with adjustable side bolsters, power folding rear view mirrors, aux port standard, just to name a few.
Don't get me wrong I love my car and the 6 cylinder can't do much against our V8 but as a former 3 series driver I always expected the 5 series to have much more "stuff" than the 3 series.
Safe motoring
Old 10-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Members

Well I'm not complaining.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

I feel the same way to some extent - especially concerning the 5's lack of iPod integration. It seems that 5/6/7-series owners are subsidizing the good stuff 3-series buyers get.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by perubmw545i' date='Oct 16 2005, 07:44 PM
Hey everyone,
I have got my 545i for about 6 months and absolutely love it! This is my 3rd bimmer in a row and no way I am looking at anything else.? I bought my car pretty loaded w/ nav, cd changer, sport/premium/winter packages, etc.
A friend of mine just got a new 330i and I was a little surprised at all the stuff the car comes with for the price.? I mean it has better sport seats than our car (I am comparing it to my sport seats) with adjustable side bolsters, power folding rear view mirrors, aux port standard, just to name a few.?
Don't get me wrong I love my car and the 6 cylinder can't do much against our V8 but as a former 3 series driver I always expected the 5 series to have much more "stuff" than the 3 series.?
Safe motoring
[snapback]185059[/snapback]
I haven't looked. Do the 550i's have the same equipment, or better, that the 06 3-Series cars? I can see how an 06 3 Series might have some things an 05 5 Series doesn't.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' date='Oct 16 2005, 07:57 PM
I feel the same way to some extent - especially concerning the 5's lack of iPod integration. ?? It seems that 5/6/7-series owners are subsidizing the good stuff 3-series buyers get.
[snapback]185086[/snapback]
Can you imagine if they introduced the I-Drive that was in the 7 series back in 2002 in the current 3 series? The company would go bankrupt with all of the warranty claims. Whatever technology they introduce it has got to be more bullet-proof for the 3 series as this is two thirds of their sales and hence 60%+ of the liability if the darn things don't work. The 7/6/5 series are in some ways a proving ground for trickle-down technology that they put in the 3 series. With things like Bluetooth I think they are just at the mercy of the suppliers to come up with solutions in time for each model's introduction. That certainly doesn't always happen like clockwork.

If it makes you feel better I don't own an I-pod so my standard Aux input is going to waste. The folding mirrors and seat bolsters are pretty cool though.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' date='Oct 16 2005, 06:57 PM
I feel the same way to some extent - especially concerning the 5's lack of iPod integration. ? It seems that 5/6/7-series owners are subsidizing the good stuff 3-series buyers get.
[snapback]185086[/snapback]
Couldn't agree more. See for example things like Logic 7, cheaper comfort access, etc.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I feel cheated too. Yes I know the 5 was out before the 3 but some of the things in the 3 is available A LONG time ago... ie. AUX input. they have that std for the 3 but not the 5. That just sucks.

Logic 7 std on the 330? Why wasnt it / isnt it Std on the 545? or even the 550 now? should be.

Electric folding mirrors... why is it on the 3 and not on the 5? that technology has always been there, its nothing new.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

Did the E39 have much more options than the E46? I don't seem to remember there being much of a difference other than size and engine choices. I don't recall anything of significance so I'm not understanding this contempt for the new 3.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I think you'll find that electric folding mirrors are available on the E60, just not in North America. Mine work just fine, but need to get their folding in integrated into the locking process
Old 10-17-2005, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Oct 16 2005, 10:26 PM
Did the E39 have much more options than the E46?? I don't seem to remember there being much of a difference other than size and engine choices.? I don't recall anything of significance so I'm not understanding this contempt for the new 3.
[snapback]185119[/snapback]

There is no contempt for the new 3, it's just an issue with BMW of North America and what they package with the cars or give people the "honor" of being able to order. For example, if someone buying a US E60 wants folding mirrors BMW NA will not let them have it at any price, even though folding mirrors have been available on the E60 everywhere else. Yet on the new US 3 series BMW NA includes the folding mirrors in one of the option packages. Now as far as I know BMW NA did not even add this feature on the 2006 models. I was at the BMW VDC tour on Saturday and there was a fully loaded 550i on display and it did not have the folding mirrors either.

So the frustration is with BMW NA, not the new 3 or even BMW AG.

Quick Reply: A little cheated re: new 3 series