Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Just saw the new X5

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades
Just saw the new X5 at my dealer. They had two of them. One was black, the other was Space Gray, which I think looks much better on the X5 than on the 335i coupe. It looked really nice in person. Has anyone seen one at their dealer yet?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

Have not seen one but I love the look and the new interior. It is strange that the BMWUSA site does not have a "Build Your Own" feature given it is in the showrooms already.

Unfortunately, I cannot justify buying one unless I needed to tow a boat or went off-roading.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='358879' date='Nov 21 2006, 12:55 PM
Have not seen one but I love the look and the new interior. It is strange that the BMWUSA site does not have a "Build Your Own" feature given it is in the showrooms already.

Unfortunately, I cannot justify buying one unless I needed to tow a boat or went off-roading.

No one can justify bying a car like that.. looking at the oil situation around the world
Old 11-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Hate to break it to you but the X5 will never be an off road vehicle. Suspension is horrid for off street use and no low range transfer case. That's just for starters. It's a road car.

However, I could easily justify it as a nice people mover. Our old V8 X5 got better real world mileage than the wifes current V6 Minivan. We had to get rid of the X5 for the lack of room for our 3 kids and dog. The extra seating for the current X5 is nice and we may consider it again once I see it in person. However, it seems the placement of the DVD player is poor due to the increased motion sickness probability from it's low vantage point and it appears to prevent third row viewers from seeing it.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I saw it this morning. A 3.0 in a nice grey color. The standard wheels were not too bad, but I did think the interior felt a little cheaper than the current car (which my wife drives). I think the black interior which I saw is not the best color to showcase luxuriousness. Also, my dealer is just plain not with it. The car should have been immaculate and in the front of the lot. Instead it was mixed in with other cars and had mud on the tires. But the car's lines are really good looking. I did notice the rear seat is still a bit firm. Why cna't they add some padding?

DRP
Old 11-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

SAW one test vehicle in munich on friday
Old 11-22-2006, 03:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='359065' date='Nov 21 2006, 07:38 PM
I saw it this morning. A 3.0 in a nice grey color. The standard wheels were not too bad, but I did think the interior felt a little cheaper than the current car (which my wife drives). I think the black interior which I saw is not the best color to showcase luxuriousness. Also, my dealer is just plain not with it. The car should have been immaculate and in the front of the lot. Instead it was mixed in with other cars and had mud on the tires. But the car's lines are really good looking. I did notice the rear seat is still a bit firm. Why cna't they add some padding?

DRP

That color was probably Space Gray. They offer that on the 335i coupe as well. I liked the design of the interior but didn't get to sit inside it.

A great color to showcase the interior would have been Tobacco. It is a new color for this model.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

I drove an 4.8i this afternoon. Very nice, I think! Don't know what to think. You can "feel" the longer wheel base, the ride is very smooth, as is the power delivery. The interior is well done, simple and stark! The 3rd row is a joke! Anyone beyond the age of 12 will be very uncomfortable. This was clearly done for marketing reasons in the US. They did not want to loose potential customers because they did not have a third row option. The best news is that the 3rd row is an option.. I suspect that ordered SAV will not have it, but dealer orderd cars will have it.

It would be a tough call -- an X5 or a GL450! Benz is a formidable option!

Cheers,
Old 11-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bokke' post='359527' date='Nov 22 2006, 09:36 PM
I drove an 4.8i this afternoon. Very nice, I think! Don't know what to think. You can "feel" the longer wheel base, the ride is very smooth, as is the power delivery. The interior is well done, simple and stark! The 3rd row is a joke! Anyone beyond the age of 12 will be very uncomfortable. This was clearly done for marketing reasons in the US. They did not want to loose potential customers because they did not have a third row option. The best news is that the 3rd row is an option.. I suspect that ordered SAV will not have it, but dealer orderd cars will have it.

It would be a tough call -- an X5 or a GL450! Benz is a formidable option!

Cheers,
I just checked out a 3.0 at my dealer last night. I like the new look and the interior is quite nice as well. The X5 I saw didn't have the Navi package and I thought the iDrive screen was a bit small if it will be used for navigation as well. The dealer thought you get a larger screen with navi, but wasn't sure. The 3rd row seats are a joke - I agree. The one I saw had sport seats - I'd like to see the comfort seats though. I'm not sure about the V8 though. It seems to me that this is a leftover engine and am wondering why they didn't put the 5.0L 360HP engine in this model? Are they trying to move the old parts out? Has anyone heard plans regarding an engine change? Finally, the X5 I saw had running boards. In my opinion, they get in the way when you are trying to step down - I'm sure there will be many dirty pank legs from this setup - I'd order without. Also, the rear door doesn't open wide enough making it a bit tight for loading car seats, etc.

I'd like a 5 series, but need to pull a Sea Doo and ocassionally a 2-horse trailer. It looks like the new X5 will drive more closely to a car, while provding extra utility to people who have some toys to pull or need some extra utility. I'll be driving one (test) on Friday after the formal introduction of the model.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by grover432' post='361507' date='Nov 28 2006, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure about the V8 though. It seems to me that this is a leftover engine and am wondering why they didn't put the 5.0L 360HP engine in this model? Are they trying to move the old parts out?
huh? They replaced the 4.8L 360hp engine with a 5.0L 360hp engine?!