Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

First Vehicle Considrations for 16 year old -- What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son is soon to turn 16 and he's been learning to drive on daddy's 550

As long as he keeps his grades-up and behavior clean, we've promised to get him a car. Safety and reliability top the list of considerations and of course it needs to fall in a given price range too ($14k or below)...

My neighbor has a 2002 X5 with the 3 Litre six banger with about 82kmiles on it. One owner vehicle in uber nice condition. Safety ratings on that vehicle are fantastic and I like the size too (not to big and not to small).

My concern would be putting him in a bimmer as his first car (a little spoiled??) and the speediness of the X5..

Thoughts?

Other vehicles being considered are Escape, Rav4 and Honda CRV. All would need to have ABS, side/canopy bags.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by midwest bmw' post='782171' date='Jan 31 2009, 11:40 PM
My son is soon to turn 16 and he's been learning to drive on daddy's 550

As long as he keeps his grades-up and behavior clean, we've promised to get him a car. Safety and reliability top the list of considerations and of course it needs to fall in a given price range too ($14k or below)...

My neighbor has a 2002 X5 with the 3 Litre six banger with about 82kmiles on it. One owner vehicle in uber nice condition. Safety ratings on that vehicle are fantastic and I like the size too (not to big and not to small).

My concern would be putting him in a bimmer as his first car (a little spoiled??) and the speediness of the X5..

Thoughts?

Other vehicles being considered are Escape, Rav4 and Honda CRV. All would need to have ABS, side/canopy bags.
How about letting him get a job and buy his own old Volkswagen like most of us did , ..................................... no kid needs his parents to buy them a BMW at 16 or ever.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Call me conservative but I believe in the merits of hard work and what I mean is working your way up to a goal. Starting a 16 year old on a beemer might not be a good idea since you will be putting him on a higher level of standard. Just my own opinion. I am sure you will do what is best for him.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

As long as he works towards the payments, I see nothing wrong with a used BMW as a first car. On the other hand, my first car cost a whooping $350. It was an 8 year old Dodge Monaco that had a minor engine problem. My dad and I tuned it up and I had a reliable car for 6 years....

Personally, I wouldn't have an Escape or CR-V on the list, not in the same ball park safety wise.
What about an E46 ('00-'05) 3 series? Easier to drive and handle as a first car than a big SUV and more economical but still safe, etc.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='782193' date='Feb 1 2009, 12:16 AM
How about letting him get a job and buy his own old Volkswagen like most of us did , ..................................... no kid needs his parents to buy them a BMW at 16 or ever.
Oops...

I have a 545i and I am 16. I think that if you have the money AND your son knows to cherish that he is getting a BMW you should go for it. I am not one of the spoiled rich kids sitting on his ass doing nothing. I actually have a job doing valet parking and I pay for all of my mods and I contributed to the car with all my savings ($4500).
If your son understands that getting a BMW as a first car is not normal and that he is extremely lucky (check my sig ) then I would go for it.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='782359' date='Feb 1 2009, 08:58 AM
Oops...

I have a 545i and I am 16. I think that if you have the money AND your son knows to cherish that he is getting a BMW you should go for it. I am not one of the spoiled rich kids sitting on his ass doing nothing. I actually have a job doing valet parking and I pay for all of my mods and I contributed to the car with all my savings ($4500).
If your son understands that getting a BMW as a first car is not normal and that he is extremely lucky (check my sig ) then I would go for it.

Back in 76 my parents purchased me my first car -- 69 mustang with a straight six..I remember my dad and me slapping bondo all over that thing..Probably had 2-3 Maaco $199 paint jobs on it too.

We've made the decision regarding the purchase of the car and now it's a matter of finding the right one for our 16 yr old. Generally speaking, I believe the upkeep on a Rav4 or Escape could be significantly less than the bimmer so that certainly becomes a consideration. Anyone have specific thoughts to share regarding the X5??

Volvo's also score extremely well safety wise, but their reliability is not very good...Crashtest.com has some great statistics in case you are ever looking for this kind of data.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by midwest bmw' post='782364' date='Feb 1 2009, 09:15 AM
... Generally speaking, I believe the upkeep on a Rav4 or Escape could be significantly less than the bimmer so that certainly becomes a consideration.
+1 on the Rav4 ... my first car was a hand-me down 1988 Nissan Sentra, no power windows, locks or steering.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

I think its all relevant. The more you have the more you spend. Not sure it matters what type of car it is as long as it is safe, reliable and the price is right for you. Sounds like your boy is upholding his side of the bargain, keep him motivated. You always have it to hold over him if he jacks up...
Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='782193' date='Feb 1 2009, 12:16 AM

....or atleast his own BMW! no one ever bought me a car, my second car (only had my first for a few months as it was stolen) was an 1986 325es ( it was 1990 when purchased) I bought it cash with money saved up from working for it, great 5 speed to learn on and look cool, but not too much car for the irresponsible age of 17 (in my case)

and with all due respect to Krozi, at 16 (or 19 for that matter) you should not be driving a 545, whether you can pay for it yourself or not (which is not possible at 16 but that point is moot), its just not a car for someone who has very very limited driving experience
Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Contributors

Im 20 now my first carat 16 was a 1994 honda civic i paid 2000 for it had been saving up since forever look at me now my opinion let him get his own car let him earn it

Quick Reply: First Vehicle Considrations for 16 year old -- What do you think?