Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

e92 instead of e60???

Old 09-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

have a dilemna here: I have been offered by my dealer a basic swap for a e92 320d with my 520dA (ok - i would hvae to pay 3-4k EUR delta). Both cars are fully loaded with individual bi-color leather, white exterior, 19" alloys. Just that the 320 is stick, which i dont mind.... Would you guys do the trade? i have till monday morning to place my order...

tnx rumman
Old 09-20-2008, 02:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Tough choice. Assuming that the E92 320d is also a MY 2008 and has similar mileage, I would probably stick to the 520d that you have. You have done some work on your car to make it 'your car'. Like the SAT. Unless you don't need the size and 4 doors of the 5er... and you are itching to get into a E92, I wouldn't pay the extra money and trade.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:09 AM
Contributors

If you have the desire or need to downsize vehicles give it a try. I personally found the 3'ers too confining for my needs - wanted a bit more elbow and back seat room. That said, the 3 definitely felt more "sporting".
Old 09-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Dear rumman,

what an interesting question. How about the price? You already paid to swap 535d to 520d, now you have to pay another few thousand EUR to get 320d .. my personal opinion - I had E92 loaded 320d as a loaner and while the new 3-er is neat and playful, this engine doesn't have enough power to satisfy my sporting needs. I can imagine having the same engine in E60 though - you can always relax and not necessarily feel the urge to overtake every car on the road ..
What is the main motivation factor for your swap? You drive a lot in the city, right?
Old 09-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Hey Guys,

it is a brand new car, with 0 miles on it. I will be ordering the car from scratch...

I drive 90% of the time on my own, so i would essentially not be needing the extra space i have in the e60. BUT, nothing beats the comfort of the long wheel base...
Old 09-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hondik' post='673984' date='Sep 20 2008, 07:00 PM
Dear rumman,

what an interesting question. How about the price? You already paid to swap 535d to 520d, now you have to pay another few thousand EUR to get 320d .. my personal opinion - I had E92 loaded 320d as a loaner and while the new 3-er is neat and playful, this engine doesn't have enough power to satisfy my sporting needs. I can imagine having the same engine in E60 though - you can always relax and not necessarily feel the urge to overtake every car on the road ..
What is the main motivation factor for your swap? You drive a lot in the city, right?
hmmm -motivation??? i really dont know. I think i am just bored (because mabye it is my third e60) and just can't appreciate the excellent car i have.

320d E92:
+ active steering
+ logic 7
+ sportier car: looks
+ petrol consumption beats 520dA + start/stop automatic (nice gag for the city)
+ stick (nice at times you are sick of the high reving first gear of the automatic)

520dA E60:
+ 4 doors (when i do take people, happens mabye at lunchtime here or there to drive my colleagues, i will hate the e92)
+ automatic: apart from the 1st gear, the automatic gear is nice. Acceleration to 70-80 beats any stick car
+ quiet thanks ot hte longer wheel base
+ already nicely modded - no need for any additional work.

I am not crazy after power. I have realized, one can never have more, because you always get used to what you have

Well, have to decide by monday morning...

This is how it would look like outside:
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/86...76235333432.jpg

cheers rumman
Old 09-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Rumman~

This is a biased statement (because I've wanted one since it came out - the E92 335i - but it's another car not available in Korea), IMO it is a gorgeous looking car. Moreover, it's newer than the E60 5 series. If you don't need the room and 4 doors of the E60 and you are looking for a change. The go for the E92. The only people that will complain about the lack of room in the back seats of the E92 will be your colleagues whom you are graciously transporting to the lunch venue. I advised you to stick with your 520d, but that was before I knew the E92 was brand spanking new! So... if you are looking for a 'push' to get the new car, this is it! Besides... it's another BMW you are getting. You can't go wrong!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Hm hm I know you miss active steering so the E92 will feel nimble and you will love it more (I tend to build closer relationships to 3-er than to 5-er I realised) + this coupe looks very sexy. I would be tempted by the Logic 7. 3-er will stay longer up-to date. Is it a facelift with the new I-drive? (which is indeed very good in real, if you like computers or toys ).

I think you really are bored. I get the same feeling too from time to time. Then I drive Nissan or Mercedes for one day and I'm so happy with the bimmer!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Contributors

Guys,
it is true that the the e92 will have the new idrive and idrive controller but my biggest worry is:
* next year, there will be a facelift of the e92
* next year, there will (probably) be a double clutch tranny for the 3er diesel. Currently DCT is only available for the 335i - petrol is no go for me. DCT is the best of both worlds: tranny and automatic

Ideally i should wait till next year because then the e92 will have had a facelift, dct should be available and the A5 should also be available with the DSG - that is the other car i find sexy. BUT my worry is that by next year, i will have to pay more on top of my 520d to get the respective cars...

decisions decisions decisions...
Old 09-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

If I was going to change from a 5er it would be to the 3er coupe M-Sport on 19s, i.e. the car you are looking at. Its a beautiful car and does not fall under the normal 3er image. You will not have the space or comfort you get in the 5er, but because its coupe I think its a sacrifice I would accept. (I'd go for Saphire Black, but I think that's irrelvant with this discussion!) If money and practicality are not an issue, why not?

So what are you getting in March 2009 after the 3er?

EDIT: Just saw you posted whilst I did, if you went for an auto now and then the DCT came, you would be pretty frustrated, but with a manual it wouldn't hurt as much! Are you sure the DCT will come on the 320d??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: e92 instead of e60???