5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Other BMW Models (https://5series.net/forums/other-bmw-models-12/)
-   -   Drove a 135 today. "Wow" is all I can say... (https://5series.net/forums/other-bmw-models-12/drove-135-today-wow-all-i-can-say-79735/)

1esquire 06-20-2009 03:48 PM

As you may know, I have been looking at and reading about and studying just about everything out there in the $40k-ish used sport-car range. From used Lotus Elises to 911s to Z4M Coupes to Caymans to E46-M3s, you name it. Last month I went with a buddy and drove (for him, not me) a brand new M3 and M6 back to back. That was exhilirating.

Today, while at the local dealer looking at a 328 wagon and an X3 for the wife, I stuck around and asked to drive a 135 w/sport package and 6-spd MT. This car really impressed me. First, it's wicked fast. The torque curve is not even a curve. It's basically a flat 300lb-ft of torque from 1500 rpms until 5,000 rpms. The power band is great. There's a little hesitation from a dead stop before it winds up, but part of that could be me being used to driving a 545 w/MT, where the torque is avaiable at 1,000 rpms. The stability control lets you have much more wheel spin and "fun" than in my 545. I can start to wiggle the rear in my 5 before the computer kicks in, but in the 135, it let me chirp the tires into 3d gear and start to come around a little on a turn before reigning things in.

The car I drove was just right: manual sport seats, no fancy options, just a great car. Everything was simple, easy to drive, reach, manipulate, etc. The steering is precise on turn in, and you can really feel your way through tight curves. I never felt like I was getting in too deep like I sometimes do with my 5 where I think "oh, boy, better get on the brakes here, I've gone too hard into this turn." The brakes are fantastic. Six piston in front. They do a great job of stopping things when needed. She shifter is short and precise and the sports seats were more comfortable than the sport seats in my 5. The exhaust note is also fantastic, and it comes standard with black-chrome exhaust tips that look killer. All in all, it really seems like it's just a great driver's car. The "essence" of the car is all sport, but the interior is nice enough to be acceptable to a luxury crowd. It's no evo or WRX inside w/all plastic parts bin crap where you have to apologize to your friends for your cheap interior. At the same time, there's no I-drive, power seats, power steering wheel, etc. to weigh the thing down and to blow up later.

Then when you look at the price, you have to think: "wait, I could have a 5 year old 911 or a brand new 135 with 4 years of warranty and maintenance?" I know it's no Porsche, but it will hold kids in the back seat (which gives it a plus over the Z4, Cayman and Lotus) and with the turbos you could mod the engine to insane HP levels if you wanted to walk that line. I am sure it could easily be quicker than the M3, as it is close to the M3 stock. I would have to think the insurance rates would be better than an M-car or P-car as well. It also is a car you could keep for 5 years and then easily make it into a track car or club racer.

The negatives for me were: no "carbon leather" trim option like in the M3, no DCT like the M3, and no saddle brown or other dark brown leather option. The only browns are taupe and beige, but I would like something darker to pair with Monaco Blue. The dealer said the only Priority One option for leather is the lemon, but I don't want that by any means. It also lacks the obvious cachet of having a Porsche (which carries both positives and negatives) and isn't as rare as the Lotus.

I have to say, however, at the end of the day, this little car just absolutely rocks. I'm not quite ready to dump my 5, but I could see this 135 being in my garage for sure. It certainly could be a great daily driver.

Krozi 06-20-2009 03:51 PM

Very nice! The 135i is one speedy car!

Where you looking at the convertible or coupe?

theXman 06-20-2009 04:06 PM

The 1 series is definitely no small potato in the performance. I also recommended to a friend who was looking for a daily driver. Its a great car to drive. If you are more about driving experience/performance, and care a bit less about luxury bells and whistles, then this is the car to have.

Great review BTW.

westcoast550 06-20-2009 04:33 PM

135 = Pocket Rocket !! Awesome car, I would love one in the garage ................. :huh:

sdg1871 06-20-2009 05:59 PM

Nice write-up. The 135 is a rocket for sure.

-Mike- 06-20-2009 06:49 PM

Awesome review :thumbsup: I STILL have not taken one of these out for a spin yet. I STILL think they are over priced regardless of how well they perform!

Krozi 06-20-2009 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by -Mike-' post='918538' date='Jun 20 2009, 10:49 PM
Awesome review :thumbsup: I STILL have not taken one of these out for a spin yet. I STILL think they are over priced regardless of how well they perform!

Yea that's true. But in a few years the used car market will be flooded with lease returns and other used 1ers

v_therussian 06-20-2009 08:10 PM

Great write-up, thanks for the impressions... :ermm: now, if only there was a way to make the 1er at least a little less ugly :P

tex_phil 06-20-2009 08:53 PM

I love them too, I may look into getting one in a year or 2, that or maybe a m5 in a few years when they continue to drop in price.

M6SCSMD 07-05-2009 09:55 AM

Nice read. I am trying to figure out what to get my wife for a "fun" car. It is down to the 135 vert or the M3 vert. My only concern is the M3 too complicated for her. She just likes to put the car in gear and go.