Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Confirmed, new X5 M and X6 M with 550 bhp

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames' post='810044' date='Mar 7 2009, 08:59 PM
Right, but it'll be very easy for Porsche to respond if they so choose, the Turbo engine in the Cayenne is massively tunable. With just a few software and hardware tweaks Porsche could easily have a 600+hp engine if they want to go to battle. Porsche will have no trouble matching or beating the handling of the BMW's. The core difference, though, is that all Cayennes are true SUVs - they have proper off road hardware and they can absolutely take the off road punishment (as the TransSiberia Rally can attest). The Cayenne is highly capable on and off road. The X5 really isn't, it's great on road but not really a true SUV in the respect that it's a one trick pony - and the M is likely to take that even further.
I agree my friend, almost totally. We have here a Porsche Cayenne Turbo worked by 9ff and it's putting down like 700bhp. It's crazy!

However i'd like to point out a few things. I have never EVER seen with my own eyes a standard Porsche Cayenne (let alone a Turbo) owner go offroad with the car. And when i mean offroad i mean exactly what you said, ROUGH terrain, not on a forest road. I mean the Turbo has already such low profile tires that the smallest rock can chip them immediately if it's taken on the mountains. Also on rough terrain, like in forests, you'll most likely scratch your car from all the tree branches and stuff like that. There are far better cars for offroading, including some Mitsubishies

Case in which the offroad argument isn't so valid anymore i favor of the Porsche, IF we consider a Porsche a real off-roader. (OH MY LORD, what i've said... )

Anyway i'm still putting my money on the bimmer in case of a track event. I bet on X6 50i vs Cayenne GTS and X6 M vs Turbo S.

Probably we'll see some lap times in the near future, and then we'll see what's what.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='810847' date='Mar 8 2009, 12:40 PM
I agree my friend, almost totally. We have here a Porsche Cayenne Turbo worked by 9ff and it's putting down like 700bhp. It's crazy!

However i'd like to point out a few things. I have never EVER seen with my own eyes a standard Porsche Cayenne (let alone a Turbo) owner go offroad with the car. And when i mean offroad i mean exactly what you said, ROUGH terrain, not on a forest road. I mean the Turbo has already such low profile tires that the smallest rock can chip them immediately if it's taken on the mountains. Also on rough terrain, like in forests, you'll most likely scratch your car from all the tree branches and stuff like that. There are far better cars for offroading, including some Mitsubishies

Case in which the offroad argument isn't so valid anymore i favor of the Porsche, IF we consider a Porsche a real off-roader. (OH MY LORD, what i've said... )

Anyway i'm still putting my money on the bimmer in case of a track event. I bet on X6 50i vs Cayenne GTS and X6 M vs Turbo S.

Probably we'll see some lap times in the near future, and then we'll see what's what.
Oh, I'm not necessarily saying people do go off road in the Cayenne, but you absolutely can. It'll plough on when the X5 can't go any further. My point was that the X5 is really a one trick pony, the Cayenne has more rounded talent. As my case in point, the Cayenne dominated the TransSiberia Rally (to the point where Porsche is bringing out a special edition based on the car) with only relatively light mods. That's a massively punishing event. There's no way the X5 could do that, but the Cayenne can. Porsche won't take the X5M etc lying down - additional power is easy in these things and they've always had the measure of BMW engineers in the handling department (although you do have to pay for it!). It'll certainly be an interesting battle!
Old 03-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='810865' date='Mar 8 2009, 11:23 PM
Oh, I'm not necessarily saying people do go off road in the Cayenne, but you absolutely can. It'll plough on when the X5 can't go any further. My point was that the X5 is really a one trick pony, the Cayenne has more rounded talent. As my case in point, the Cayenne dominated the TransSiberia Rally (to the point where Porsche is bringing out a special edition based on the car) with only relatively light mods. That's a massively punishing event. There's no way the X5 could do that, but the Cayenne can. Porsche won't take the X5M etc lying down - additional power is easy in these things and they've always had the measure of BMW engineers in the handling department (although you do have to pay for it!). It'll certainly be an interesting battle!
Yeah it may be very well true as you say. I have no clue about off-road events/driving techniques etc.

I dunno if you've seen
but here is an interesting battle @ 5th gear. However the comparison isn't fair as the Cayenne has almost 50 more bhp. Still the X5 is doing well even underpowered since it's only 2.smth seconds slower. An X6 50i would have been a better comparison
Old 03-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Contributors

X5 M microsite
Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

This is more powerful than the M5 :thumbsdown:
I hope there will be a new M5 soon
Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='821679' date='Mar 20 2009, 07:18 AM
This is more powerful than the M5 :thumbsdown:
I hope there will be a new M5 soon
Yes but i think not faster.

As some voices from BMW itself said, today's car need more and more hp to get moving and to feel the acceleration. This is very well true since they got fatter and fatter with time.

PS: M5 will probably not arrive sooner than 2011
Old 03-22-2009, 05:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='822866' date='Mar 21 2009, 07:37 PM
Yes but i think not faster.

As some voices from BMW itself said, today's car need more and more hp to get moving and to feel the acceleration. This is very well true since they got fatter and fatter with time.

PS: M5 will probably not arrive sooner than 2011
your right
X5 is alot fatter. so no matter want engine it got it still wight over 2tons
Old 03-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='823668' date='Mar 22 2009, 05:57 PM
your right
X5 is alot fatter. so no matter want engine it got it still wight over 2tons
2+ tones for an X5 doesn't sound that much if you think that the M3 cabrio has 1930 kgs (for a car of that size).

Still it appears an X5 or X6 well under 2000kg mark is virtually impossible and sounds like a non sense. To arrive to that weight the X5 or X6 would have to be more or less a stripped down racer with no comfort creatures whatsoever. If a 911 GT3 is close to 1400kgs a bigger car to arrive to let's say 1900kgs would have to be as stripped as the GT3, which wouldn't make any sense because who would buy a stripped down X5 or X6?! Those cars are meant for utility, and comfort primarily. If you want a stripped down real sports car you buy a GT3 not a racing X5 or X6.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='823714' date='Mar 22 2009, 11:34 AM
2+ tones for an X5 doesn't sound that much if you think that the M3 cabrio has 1930 kgs (for a car of that size).

Still it appears an X5 or X6 well under 2000kg mark is virtually impossible and sounds like a non sense. To arrive to that weight the X5 or X6 would have to be more or less a stripped down racer with no comfort creatures whatsoever. If a 911 GT3 is close to 1400kgs a bigger car to arrive to let's say 1900kgs would have to be as stripped as the GT3, which wouldn't make any sense because who would buy a stripped down X5 or X6?! Those cars are meant for utility, and comfort primarily. If you want a stripped down real sports car you buy a GT3 not a racing X5 or X6.
The X6 is 5269 lbs (or 2400 kgs). That's heavy! An X6M will weigh as much or more based on M3/M5/M6 versus their base series.
550hp = 9.5 lbs/hp, a little more than an M3 sedan (but better than the M3 Cabrio @ 10 lbs/hp). My guess is a 4.5 0-60 mph but loosing to an M3 by the 1/4 mile.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='810865' date='Mar 8 2009, 10:23 PM
Oh, I'm not necessarily saying people do go off road in the Cayenne, but you absolutely can.
There's a new Cayenne diesel now available in the EU.

Quick Reply: Confirmed, new X5 M and X6 M with 550 bhp