Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

Buying son a car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

It depends. If you think he deserves it, and you can afford it, help him out. If he doenst and really doesnt listen to you... is a trouble maker and didnt work hard in college... low GPA... then forget it.

What does he think of it? Is he money cautious? Does he fling it around like nothing? Does he know money doenst grow on trees and tries to conserve and save?

If he knows all that then go for it. He knows whats up and will be greatful and he just really wants a good nice car.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Contributors

You and he may want to look at the Acura TSX with stick or automatic. The TSX is quite a bit of car for the money, and is built very well, is very safe, and is sporty. Retail on a new one is about $28k, and it has an incredible list of standard items at that price, including Nav.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

...I wish my dad would've bought me a BMW when I was 18...

10 years ago = different decade ?

I sure hope your son appreciates it!!
Old 05-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

One tip of advice as you are trying to help him out and get going... Let him finance the car under his name then BOOM around the second payment make a 20,000 dollar payment and pay the car off! That will skyrocket his credit rating for later down the road.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic 545i

Im not quite sure what I'm going to do, I understand where a few are coming from but he does appreciate things and we have never done anything like this for him in the past, I got his first car from a friend and the only reason it was given to him was that if he chose a state school I would get him a car, and him being who he was, in love with cars, chose that instead of a private institution.(Smart or not I don't know) That being said I know he will take care and appreciate any car I got him I just wanted to get him something nice that he wont have to worry about for a few years after school.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

When my wife's ex 1996 E36 gave up the ghost in the autumn of 2004, I was in the same boat as you. My daughter, who had been using it, loved the BMW, but did not want another - reverse snobbery, eh!

I wanted to give her (a 2006 UPenn grad) a safe, reliable, but fun car. She wanted pretty much the same, but also a car that got good mileage.

We looked at the Mini, Toyota Matrix, Honda Civic SI and Mazda-3 5door 5-speed. We picked the Mazda, costing about $21,000 delivered w/tax. The Mini was too small, the Matrix cost more when tricked out with air-bags, anti-lock brakes etc, the Honda drove very poorly (surprise) but the Mazda was fun to drive, had good CR reliability, and the right size. It's only drawback - a drumming at highway speeds - but what do you expect for that price - BMW 7 series soundproofing.

She is very happy with it, taking it to all her ski team events and is off this June to the West Coast. Reliability has been good. Maintenance, but for a few scratches, has been fluids etc only. She is pleased and expects to hold the car for some time.

Think of the Mazda as an alternative to a used BMW of unknown provenance.,

Best of Luck

John

PS: I hold no Mazda or Ford stock
Old 05-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

That is a tough decision. Sounds like you want to get the Bimmer. Go ahead. If it is a problem he can sell it and get something else. If he really wants the bimmer, and everyone on this forum knows that feeling, he can work hard to keep it repaired.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by 05E60Black545i' post='283809' date='May 17 2006, 04:10 PM
I offered my son who is in love with cars and especially mine 20,000 to get whatever he wanted, he's about to graduate from college and I wanted to help him out. So now he's in the hunt for a 3 series BMW. My question to all of you guys with knowledge out there is if that is a good choice. Now I love my car but compared to some of the nice japanese cars out there ex. Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, it isn't as reliable, now should I get him a BMW and hope nothing breaks or get a japanese car for less and have the warranty etc. He's looking at a guys 2002 325Ci with sport package right now for 24k or best offer, the car only has 25k miles but I'm weary about getting it because it has no warranty because back when he bought it was the 3 year 36k mile plan. Let me know what you think, I just want him to have a nice car but something that is going to be reliable.
This is a tough question. I was not as fortunate to have my dad a few years ago help fund my first car. I was in the same quandry. I was looking at the Audi A4 and the more reliable Japanese versions. Although I had a great experience with the Acura Integra with many many miles on it, I chose the A4. It was a great ride but very very unreliable.

This is going to sound very shallow, but it is reality. Girls will judge him on what he drives. It is a sad statement, and I sure to get hate mail on this, but it is the truth in the US that is. When I got my A4 it changed my dating life.

In the end the A4 was a real problem reliability wise. But, it was really fun to drive when it was running.

When you are right out of school you are broke and there are not many creature comforts to enjoy. Buy your son the BMW. Or something just as fun. Let him over rule your judgement if he thinks that would be best.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I got the keys to a brand new E46 when I was 19 to be honest is hard to go back on driving any other cars (as my experience with the Nissan) yes you can say a SUV and a Bimmer doesn't really compare well. The reason I got the Nissan was driving a Bimmer to an interview is not the best experience as the guy who's interviewing me saw me parking my car. During the interview, he ask me why I wanted to work while in school, I told him I want to get some working experience before graduating and he immediately say not for money reason obviously <_< so next time I have an interview, I park furthest away but still get question like "why you want to work here" when my co-workers find out what I drive to work.

So get him what you want, is your money after all if you think that's what he deserves and what's right for him.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Contributors

For around $20-25K, I'd get him a s2000 or a 350Z.

For around $30K, you could get an '01 M3, but you'd also have the reliabilty issues that you're worried about. Though for another $5K, I'd much rather have the m3 than the 325 vert.

Quick Reply: Buying son a car?