Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

BMW X6 starts at $53,275

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m630' post='559662' date='Apr 11 2008, 04:37 PM
target market is the Lexus RX or Infiniti FX, these things are all over and have no real utility, but women love to drive them, so if you had to buy your wife a small suv, wouldnt you choose a bmw over the current Lexus or Infiniti alternatives??
you guys have worries on teh other side of the pond. while here in europe we can hardly afford one bmw, you guys are thinking of a second one for your wives. We must be doing something wrong here in europe

To the x6 itself - i never liked the ssangyong Link, so why should i like this?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='559668' date='Apr 11 2008, 09:49 AM
you guys have worries on teh other side of the pond. while here in europe we can hardly afford one bmw, you guys are thinking of a second one for your wives. We must be doing something wrong here in europe

To the x6 itself - i never liked the ssangyong Link, so why should i like this?
AHAA !!! and the ,marketing guys are copy cats too...................the shame of it all
Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Contributors

My wife will be driving one of these when her X5 is up 1 year from now. Why not? It's cool, sporty, probably lots of fun to drive. We wont need the added space an X5 offers. We are their target market.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='559688' date='Apr 11 2008, 11:16 AM
My wife will be driving one of these when her X5 is up 1 year from now. Why not? It's cool, sporty, probably lots of fun to drive.
+ if you get the V8TT, will make me want to drive the wifes car more often too!

I priced out the 6TT on bmwusa...man the cost adds up in a hurry!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Allow me to clarify, I would not get her the 8 cyl. The TT6 would be more than enough.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='559571
target market is the Lexus RX or Infiniti FX, these things are all over and have no real utility, but women love to drive them, so if you had to buy your wife a small suv, wouldnt you choose a bmw over the current Lexus or Infiniti alternatives??
Yeah but, get the X5. It is not a big suv at all. Has way more utility and more room for the kids. You can actually fit luggage in the back.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Senior Members

Edmunds wasn't feelin the car/suv(what ever the damn thing is) either.

Edmunds review of the X6 X6 xDrive 50i:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=125474

Quote:
"We Want More for Our $8,500
Once we discover the 2008 BMW X6 isn't the rocket we expected, we figure maybe the handling will convince us that the X6 is worth its $8,500 premium over the BMW X5 4.8i. But after 20 miles of wet switchbacks in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, we're still not buying it."

"Unless you drive it back-to-back with the X5, however, you'd be unlikely to notice any particular improvement over the 2008 BMW X5."

"The rear seats in the X6 are designed to hold only two passengers, so there's a big center console back there, too. The seats prove far more comfortable than your standard three-person bench seat, although the low roof shaves nearly 2 inches of headroom from the X5's numbers."

"There's plenty of legroom and decent foot room under the front seats, but we quickly determine that with two adults in back, the overall rearseat space feels cramped. Maybe it's the fact that if you're over 6 feet you can rest your head on the roof, or the slightly reduced shoulder room. Either way, it's tighter and less comfortable than an X5."

"When the drive is done, we're still scratching our heads. An extra $8 grand for a little more motor, fewer seats with less room and an all-wheel-drive system you'll hardly ever know is there?"
Old 04-12-2008, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

Jet on this i have to disagree. On that basis and considering the satements from those guys at edmunds the SUV allover is a silly ideea. I mean why pay much more over a 5 series touring for very few moments when will stuff the x5 with 2 pigs in the trunk and 5 people inside, the very few moments when you'll use the awd to the full potential (unless you live in Alaska) etc etc.

Let me put it this way, the car is somewhat smaller and tighter (space wise) than the X5 and it sohuld be if it has to have a coupe shape. The same things was with the CLS and the E Klass. Another thing is that i found out that in general people tend to desire unnecessary space/power/luxury etc and the same was with my choice of the 5 series instead a 3 coupe. I now drive 75% of the time alone in the car 20% with another person in the right and the remaining 5 % or even less i drive with other 4 adults and full trunk. In fact i don't even so much space but at that moment in 2005 that was the best decision to make considering the circumstances.

An X6 with somewhat tighter space, better looks (subjective chapter) with killer lines and a absolutely stunning back, but with more power and better handling should attract more. Even th guys at Edmunds said that for 2 adults the back seats are better than in the X5. How many times 3 people will climb in the back of an X5?! For normal people and families without 10 kids probably very few times.

On the same note studies show that most of the SUVs and off road cars are clustered in developed cities, and the same thing is here. Bucharest is the capital of Porsche Cayenne, X5, ML, Rangerover Sport etc...and i simply don't understand why people would choose to drive so many gas guggling cars, heavy cars, hard to maneuver in an already suffocated city, with permanent AWD that gets to be come in handy only 3-5 days per year and the rest of the 360 days eat more gas for nothing. So here you have it. This proves alot one of the economical laws that states: Buyers are irrational.

To conclude in an opposite manner, i like the new X6 and if i had the money i would buy it simply because i fell in love with the design. I would buy the Hybrid model (when it comes) to ease off some fuel consumption as this would be nice as a primary car (no pain about pot wholes and clearence) and for a 2nd car i would buy a E92 M3 CSL as a weekender and track car. So the X6 is not bullshit imho, it has a target and the sales will prove this.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

PS: One other thing, which is slightly offtopic:

Those kind of SUVs mentioned above, X6 included will never or very rarely be used in proper off road conditions. Please don't tell me that people with ML 63 AMGs and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S climb mountains with their cars.

This is just stupid if you ask me, why buy a car so expensive, so powerfull but yet with so many compromises as in very high center of gravity and suspension which however you cut it is not made to cope with 500 hp to the limit. I mean yeah buy a 911 turbo, no biggie that's a proper sports car but not smth in the middle with no real purpose.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 SMG Interlagos Blue Silverstone II Full Merino Perforated w/ Individual Piano Black Trim All options except for fold down rear seats 1330 miles 02/12/10 2008 E92 DCT M3 Arctic White Silver Novillo Extended w/ Carbon Fiber Trim Pretty much all options 10k miles 09/09 135 E82 Black Sapphire Metallic Coral Red w/ Gloss Black Trim Pretty much all options 7k miles 09/09

Still not really understanding the target market for this car? Not a crossover, not a full-size SUV (but it costs that).
Yeah, I have been in agreement with this since I first heard and read of the X6 - why is BMW involved in this silliness? Trying to be "cool?" Trying to appear to be something the company isn't? Following a perceived upper-middle class trend? I have been pretty dismissive.

But yesterday I was in my dealership here in Houston (Momentum BMW). The accessories person dragged me out the door with a "here, I have something for you to see." Walked around the corner to see the full rear end of an X6. Wow - did it look great. Far better than the pictures, from any angle.

Was able to spend some time sitting in all seats and then going on a short drive. This thing is terrific.
I do not like SUV's, including the X5 and X3 (although they are at the top of the breed). But I was completely taken by the X6. It has a wonderful interior - understated and elegant, with a lot of very comfortable room. It does not feel bus-like as an SUV, nor does it feel like a sedan. Especially in the back it has a feel of being in a small limousine. It's a nicely challenging contrast to the look and feel of the outside, which is similar to a two-door sports car on a whole lot of steroids - where did all that interior room come from?

The performance with the 6-cylinder is quite good. It has a minimal SUV feeling in cornering and overall ride quality. It will generate even more smiles with the twin turbo V8, I have no doubt (reference - I have a 545i w/sport).

I can see a real market for people who have the standard interests in owning a 5 and 5-type sedan (Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, etc.), including current 5 owners. It provides an excellent passenger environment for clients, friends, social associates (especially in the back seat) and has few of the SUV disadvantages (performance and image).

See it and spend some time in it before you write it off. It changed my mind.

Quick Reply: BMW X6 starts at $53,275