Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

BMW's future design philosophy and developmental strategy

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Last night, at the Welt, they held the "BMW Design Night" which featured the Gran Coupé concept.
Here's the press release and some teaser pics...

Experience elegance and dynamic performance: The BMW Design Night.
07.21.2010 Press Release

Munich. Exclusive insights into the design philosophy and development strategy of BMW are the central focus of an unusual media event at the home of the brand in Munich. At the BMW Design Night on July 21st 2010, selected media representatives will have the opportunity to take an intensive look at the fundamental principles and pioneering concepts of future automobile design. The speakers and dialogue partners presenting the event at BMW Welt in Munich are Dr. Klaus Draeger, Member of the Board of BMW AG, Development and Adrian van Hooydonk, Director BMW Group Design.

The current representative of the design culture of the brand is the BMW Concept Gran Coupé. This sensational study, unveiled at the international trade fair Auto China in Beijing in April 2010 and is now on show in Europe for the first time, embodies high-quality elegance combined with superior dynamic performance, thereby symbolising the underlying values of the brand BMW.

The BMW Concept Gran Coupé provides a look ahead to the interpretation of these values in future models of the manufacturer of premium automobiles. In its dynamically striking proportions, this elegant 4-door vehicle reveals the classic features of a BMW coupé, yet at the same time offers a fascinating and aesthetically impressive formal style which brings the properties of the product to bear in an authentic manner.

The basis for this is the outstanding design culture of the brand BMW, whose roots and perspectives will be explained at the BMW Design Night. Current and future automobiles of the brand BMW derive their unmistakable character from the fact that design, driving properties and functionality are harmoniously dovetailed. This authenticity is guaranteed by means of a product creation process which is unique in the automotive industry and which results in a convergence of design and technology in optimised logistical and organisational conditions. With every newly developed automobile, this process leads to an ideal synthesis of form and function which is impressively reflected in the BMW Concept Gran Coupé, too.

BMW's future design philosophy and developmental strategy-p90060387_highres.jpg

BMW's future design philosophy and developmental strategy-p90060388_highres.jpg

BMW's future design philosophy and developmental strategy-p90060385_highres.jpg

BMW's future design philosophy and developmental strategy-p90060364_highres.jpg
Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Nice lines but the front bumper in the first pic is a mess.

[Now I'm sure that is helpful to them. ]

Thanks Rudy,

sixcard
Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Looks really good. I like it!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

is the next 6 series going to continue on as a true coupe or morph into a cls-wannabe?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by lawnboy
is the next 6 series going to continue on as a true coupe or morph into a cls-wannabe?
Both. True coupe in F12, true cabrio (soft top) in F13. The F13 is also supposed to have an option for "factory fitted" retractable hardtop ala Z4 and 3 series. It it is like the 3 series I would not like it but if Z4 like it could be nice. We shall see. The 4-door CLS wannabe (Gran Coupe in BMW speak) is supposed to be slotted as a 6-series as well, although I do not know the engineering code that it has been assigned yet.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I still like the F10 5er, however, if the Gan Coupe is going to see production then I'd rather hold out for that. It is much better looking than the F10 IMHO.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Nopes!