Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

328 loaner blows

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So dropped of the 5er for more brake problems and got a nice little 328i loaner and basically the 3 series sucks. Following things suck about the 3 series

-for one the 328 is a mule-even more of a mule than my 530-this would be corrected in a 335 so not the 3 series fault but MAN the old 530, and 525 must have been just painful to drive

-the interior is TINY-maybe technically it is not all that much smaller but it sure feels cramped. I just felt so big in there. I am no giant either but at 6'1 and 180 (pretty skinny 180 too) I felt lenky-well I am a bit lenky so maybe that is why but a 3 is a no no as I suspected which is why I never looked at em. I was driving a chev tracker when I went into the dealer and if I wasnt leaving with a 5 series I was sticking with my chev

-regular seats suck-I am sure this is the case for 5ers too-once you have comfort seats the regular seats are awful. What you miss the most is the upper back adjustment that can move the upperback/neck thing forward while still keeping your lower back and the seat in general reclined.

-Inside just looks cheap on a 3 series. had the wood trim and all but everything just looked cheaper.

-no I drive-now this just sucks. Once your used to i-drive you would never again say that you prefer the traditional stuff. I was hunting around trying to figure out what all the little buttons did with their lame symbols and such-and felt cluttered and not as finished-another contributing factor to looking cheaper.

-frankly feels girly to me-every girl and their mother around here own a 3 series and that is oen reason I would not drive one. 335 or not -I would take a power hit and prefer my 530 any day of the week. Just feels too common and girly (I know this various by region-when I am in the midwest I rarely see a bimmer go by v. here in scottsdale everyone has one at age 16)

-ride plain sucks. Bumpy and uneven in the smaller wheel base and just felt worse-it was also a sport.

-I think ill put this on the other thread but this car has no active steering and WOW-I would NEVER not get active steering. I am not a weakling but in slow speeds I really felt like I was having to muscle the wheel-like there was half the power steering as with active steering. Especially at city speeds the active steering does just feel like a little go-cart and once on the freeway didnt feel much different so I believe active steering does what it is intended and does it well-which is makes slow tight city driving MUCH mor epleasent

-The only upside was the littleness of the car did feel quite nimble to zip around in traffic but that is about the only upside

so overall the 3 series sucks
Old 06-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='432673' date='Jun 6 2007, 12:42 PM
So dropped of the 5er for more brake problems and got a nice little 328i loaner and basically the 3 series sucks. Following things suck about the 3 series

-for one the 328 is a mule-even more of a mule than my 530-this would be corrected in a 335 so not the 3 series fault but MAN the old 530, and 525 must have been just painful to drive

-the interior is TINY-maybe technically it is not all that much smaller but it sure feels cramped. I just felt so big in there. I am no giant either but at 6'1 and 180 (pretty skinny 180 too) I felt lenky-well I am a bit lenky so maybe that is why but a 3 is a no no as I suspected which is why I never looked at em. I was driving a chev tracker when I went into the dealer and if I wasnt leaving with a 5 series I was sticking with my chev

-regular seats suck-I am sure this is the case for 5ers too-once you have comfort seats the regular seats are awful. What you miss the most is the upper back adjustment that can move the upperback/neck thing forward while still keeping your lower back and the seat in general reclined.

-Inside just looks cheap on a 3 series. had the wood trim and all but everything just looked cheaper.

-no I drive-now this just sucks. Once your used to i-drive you would never again say that you prefer the traditional stuff. I was hunting around trying to figure out what all the little buttons did with their lame symbols and such-and felt cluttered and not as finished-another contributing factor to looking cheaper.

-frankly feels girly to me-every girl and their mother around here own a 3 series and that is oen reason I would not drive one. 335 or not -I would take a power hit and prefer my 530 any day of the week. Just feels too common and girly (I know this various by region-when I am in the midwest I rarely see a bimmer go by v. here in scottsdale everyone has one at age 16)

-ride plain sucks. Bumpy and uneven in the smaller wheel base and just felt worse-it was also a sport.

-I think ill put this on the other thread but this car has no active steering and WOW-I would NEVER not get active steering. I am not a weakling but in slow speeds I really felt like I was having to muscle the wheel-like there was half the power steering as with active steering. Especially at city speeds the active steering does just feel like a little go-cart and once on the freeway didnt feel much different so I believe active steering does what it is intended and does it well-which is makes slow tight city driving MUCH mor epleasent

-The only upside was the littleness of the car did feel quite nimble to zip around in traffic but that is about the only upside

LOL you should write for Car and Driver.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='432673' date='Jun 6 2007, 01:42 PM

I have read your many posts on these forums. I have one thing to say, "Positive Affirmations with Stuart Smalley". Google it.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aristotle' post='432685' date='Jun 6 2007, 11:05 AM
I have read your many posts on these forums. I have one thing to say, "Positive Affirmations with Stuart Smalley". Google it.
Actually it is Daily affirmations and I remember it vaguely from SNL-and hey man-your the one reading all my posts-dont read em if ya dont like em
Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 AM
JPJ
Contributors

I just got a 328xi for a loaner today and agree with most of what you are saying, except I thought it had pretty good power. Maybe it is the gearing, but it feels significantly faster than E90 325i's I have had previously as loaners. Felt closer to my old E46 330 -- which makes sense looking at the stats.

I've sometimes regretted not getting a 335, but today it did sink in how much smaller the interior is (right leg hard into the console) and how it does seem "cheaper" inside. The stock seats have no support and have been softened up greatly from the E46. The ride is not very good -- pitches around a lot. I'm sure for me the sport package would help the suspension and seat issues, but it is clearly less car than an E60.

Made me more glad to have my 530. I'll see how I feel after a day at the track in my car on Friday -- I know the 335 sport would be more fun there.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='432707' date='Jun 6 2007, 12:10 PM
I just got a 328xi for a loaner today and agree with most of what you are saying, except I thought it had pretty good power. Maybe it is the gearing, but it feels significantly faster than E90 325i's I have had previously as loaners. Felt closer to my old E46 330 -- which makes sense looking at the stats.

I've sometimes regretted not getting a 335, but today it did sink in how much smaller the interior is (right leg hard into the console) and how it does seem "cheaper" inside. The stock seats have no support and have been softened up greatly from the E46. The ride is not very good -- pitches around a lot. I'm sure for me the sport package would help the suspension and seat issues, but it is clearly less car than an E60.

Made me more glad to have my 530. I'll see how I feel after a day at the track in my car on Friday -- I know the 335 sport would be more fun there.
Hey that is pretty funny-I too have an 07 530-but modded it a bit so maybe I am forgetting how the initial feel was-after a day with the 328 it was not as sluggish as I had thought but I already felt the same way as you-I longed for that twin turbo engine after getting my 530 but at the end of the day power is not everything.

I parked beside a nice white clean 530 tonight with my laoner and there was just no comparison in styling department. In MY opinion the e60 is the best looking bimmer ever made and just love the styling of it, especially when clean and waxed.

I realized the 328 did NOT have the sport suspension/package and the ride sucked. Good to know it sucked just as bad in the wind as my 5 series-so I can now say bmw just sucks at building cars that are stable in the wind.

Overall I miss my 5er and will see how it feels tomorrow after getting it back.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Senior Members

Was in a 335i coupe (white, Black leather) at the dealer the other day. I love the lines of the coupe, next best thing to the new M3. I thought the fit and finish was as good, if not better than the 5 series. The car had just about every option.