Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

130i vs Golf R32

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: –

Yeah, I saw that.. sucks bigtime
Old 01-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IMU' post='218621
Originally Posted by Fin535dA' post='218295' date='Jan 2 2006, 07:52 PM
The 130i misses an LSD imo, be it standard or optional.
Which current series has it? My 530i does not as far as I know.
Only 'M' cars have a LSD.
[/quote]
Yes...sadly. LSD should be an optional. It would be an expensive one but i for one, now that i played alot with my car (drifts and all the games) for sure would consider it one of my top options when buying the car.
I also have done some powerslides and notice as the only real visible slide is one of the inner tire. That's another example where it shows the need of LSD.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

here in germany, where the new 130i is our new fun car, everyboding is discussing this test also. there are a few things to consider:

- the tested 130i did not have the sport suspension (is that how its called? german= sportfahrwerk)
- 130i tires were way smaller than R32 (-> grip)

The Golf is a little better on the race track, but under normal street circumstances, the 130i will just pass anything. It shows the same acceleration as the Me cab.

Its just a terrific car, awesome.

Me cab.
sorry, M3 cab.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='219893
Indeed - just too compromised in some areas... (Space especially)
Old 01-06-2006, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='219965
here in germany, where the new 130i is our new fun car, everyboding is discussing this test also. there are a few things to consider:

- the tested 130i did not have the sport suspension (is that how its called? german= sportfahrwerk)
- 130i tires were way smaller than R32 (-> grip)

The Golf is a little better on the race track, but under normal street circumstances, the 130i will just pass anything. It shows the same acceleration as the Me cab.
I thought the TopGear was a 130i M Sport, thus having sports suspension + 235 (rear) tyres. Golf 'only' has 225 tyres...

Wider tyres can help grip but wider tyres doesn't always equate into better grip.

If it was my money I'd buy a R32.

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='219893' date='Jan 6 2006, 09:29 AM
Indeed - just too compromised in some areas... (Space especially)
[/quote]
The thing is that i sat in a 1 series. I especially adjusted the driver's seat to my needs. Then i adjusted the passenger seat to half way. Then i got into the back seats and hey i actually got in and had a modest space for the knees. But either way i got in without too much trouble. I'm a 1,74 guy and 78 kilos. So i dunno how the seats were arranged on that 130i but it looks as they were pulled all the way to the back. Another thing is that Jeremy is a big fellow. The fact that he didn't manage to get in the bmw and he got in the r32 is due to the fact that the r32 was a 2 door and the seat folds in to let the passengers get in. After that u just ahve to pull the seat back...and there u go...u're pretty much in.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Members

@colejl

you are right, if it had the M package, its got the suspension (15 mm lower), but there was something with that test I am trying to remember.

The thing is, the acceleration values of the 130i are better than the R32, its a couple of tenths of a sec faster., also the 130i is faster in Vmax (R32 stops at 247, 130i is stopped at 250 but was measured in a different test with 272 km/h, just to show the potential of this car). Everybody wondered, why it was beat by the R32 on the track (N?rburgring Nordschleife). So we gathered the times of each and every uuhm partial lap? just a part of one lap, a section (the total lap is about 23 km, everything under 8 min is world class, your fast if the car goes 8min xx sec.). The R32 is only faster in sections with lots of curves, on the straight the 130i was always ahead. Given the fact that the Nordschleife consists of 80% curves its abvious why the R32 was just a bit faster.

I am now driving a 130i for 3 months, and there are not a lot of cars faster on the street (Autobahn ). never met a R32 yet, but even the M3 cab. does not pass the 130i.

raceways are just not characteristic for measured values under normal street circumstances.

Great forum by the way!!
Old 01-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='220005' date='Jan 6 2006, 03:46 PM
@colejl

you are right, if it had the M package, its got the suspension (15 mm lower), but there was something with that test I am trying to remember.

The thing is, the acceleration values of the 130i are better than the R32, its a couple of tenths of a sec faster., also the 130i is faster in Vmax (R32 stops at 247, 130i is stopped at 250 but was measured in a different test with 272 km/h, just to show the potential of this car). Everybody wondered, why it was beat by the R32 on the track (N?rburgring Nordschleife). So we gathered the times of each and every uuhm partial lap? just a part of one lap, a section (the total lap is about 23 km, everything under 8 min is world class, your fast if the car goes 8min xx sec.). The R32 is only faster in sections with lots of curves, on the straight the 130i was always ahead. Given the fact that the Nordschleife consists of 80% curves its abvious why the R32 was just a bit faster.

I am now driving a 130i for 3 months, and there are not a lot of cars faster on the street (Autobahn ). never met a R32 yet, but even the M3 cab. does not pass the 130i.

raceways are just not characteristic for measured values under normal street circumstances.

Great forum by the way!!
The test did have the 130i ahead of the R32 on a traffic-light race! The 4 wheel drive helped on the initial traction but the 130i then powered ahead...

Both are great cars. Either the R32 they had was performing very well (Sometimes cars provided by manufacturers are not standard tune!) or the 130i wasn't. The performance often changes lots over the first 10,000 miles as the engine loosens us. (Perhaps the Beemer was still 'tight')

I think BMW's performance figures are very conservative! Real-life performance must be 'pocket-rocket' like you've said!
Old 01-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Members

absolutely correct

this discussion is hot here also, surely the R32 is not a bad car, but BMW is BMW and a VW is a VW (ok, that wasnt very productive)
Old 01-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='220094' date='Jan 6 2006, 01:37 PM
absolutely correct

this discussion is hot here also, surely the R32 is not a bad car, but BMW is BMW and a VW is a VW (ok, that wasnt very productive)
Before i owned my 5 i used to look with disgust at comments like those but now i realise...
Old 01-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Members

colejl Posted Yesterday, 12:42 PM
The performance often changes lots over the first 10,000 miles as the engine loosens us
Yeah, thats for sure. My 130 really starting running and making noise as of 10.000 km, its not just a little bit, you can really feel the +acceleration, also the sound is almost too much. I?m kinda gettin used to it now, in my opinion it sounds better than the M3 (more mechanical, dont like at high rpm?s). The 130i just sounds aggressive, even when you just start it.

I dont mean to downgrage VW, my first car was a Golf GTi and I really loved it. But technically these cars are worlds apart. Of course it has 4 wheel drive, how else do you drive 250PS with front wheel drive, thats not a +, thats a must in this category, I rather prefer rear wheel drive. The engines are worlds apart, VW uses its old VR6 3,2 ccm pops it up to 250 PS, BMW gets 265 PS out of 3,0 ccm. Also this is the worlds first light weight motor serial production, all rotating parts are out of Al-Mg-pressure cast, it weghs only 166 kg! A six pack with 3,0 ccm.

Dont misunderstand me, I like VW, but technically there are just not up with with BMW.

Soorryyy VW :'(

Quick Reply: 130i vs Golf R32