Other BMW Models Talk about all the other BMW models here.

130i available in europe

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Announced by BMW this afternoon

Old 02-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Wow.. so it's using the new R6 engine?

I'm sure it will go at least 5.6s from 0-60..
Old 02-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Performance figures are: -

0 - 62 mph in 6.2 secs
Top speed is limited to 155mph.

UK base price is going to be around ?24k so make that ?30k plus minimum to have a decent equipment level on. This is far too expensive a car for the segment it is competing in. The 1 series is really struggling in the UK due to the price being around ?2k per model too expensive against it's direct competitors.

Having driven both a 120d and the new Golf GTi, I'd take the Volksawagen any day even over a 130i. The handling of the Golf is outstanding and for the ?24k price of the 130i you can have navigation and leather on the VW. The golf also has more interior space and has better quality cabin finishes. It's a no brainer and the forthcoming new Golf R32 should match or improve upon the performance of the 1.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

... but 1-series is RWD not any crabby FWD .

Skaffa
Old 02-15-2005, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

skaffa,

I hate to say this but having driven a 120i and a Golf GTi, the VW is the better handling car. The BMW is fun but the Golf feels glued to the road and you'd have to do something really silly to lose control of it. As I said already it is better value and has more interior space so on nearly every front it beats the 1 series...... oh and it also looks way better than the awkward looking 1 IMHO.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

ISUK,
I'm sorry but I have to disagree this time. IMO 1-series exterior is a way better than GOLF which looks plain and outdated in comparison. I haven't driven 1-series yet so
can't tell anything about the ride. As far as interior is concerned I can't imagine that VW could match any of BMW in any way (though you know my reservations about 5-series). Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

igor,

Each to their own on the styling front. I like most of the new BMW designs but the 1 series just looks unresolved to me. The bluff front end with those huge lights just looks goofy IMHO. I think this car looks best when viewed from the rear 3/4 angle. The headlight design is the biggest problem in my book and I think the X3 has the same problem. The designers have just tried too hard with these cars to give a BMW feel yet a distinct model look. Whilst this has worked on the E60, E63, E65, E85 and E90, it just hasn't come together on the 1 and X3 which look awkward. I can't be alone in this opinion..... the car is struggling for sales in the UK in a segment where the BMW propellor badge isn't enough to justify a high price tag.

I'll admit the Golf won't set pulses racing but the subtle changes to the GTi are enough to give it a strong visual prescence... especially in red. The interior of the BMW is fairly good but the finish and materials in the Golf are better to look at and to touch. The design of the interior is also less contrived than the interior of the 1 series. It just seems to look much better because it is simpler and more focused. I wish BMW would source their dash and interior plastics from VW's suppliers.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Feb 15 2005, 01:10 PM
igor,

Each to their own on the styling front. I like most of the new BMW designs but the 1 series just looks unresolved to me. The bluff front end with those huge lights just looks goofy IMHO. I think this car looks best when viewed from the rear 3/4 angle. The headlight design is the biggest problem in my book and I think the X3 has the same problem. The designers have just tried too hard with these cars to give a BMW feel yet a distinct model look. Whilst this has worked on the E60, E63, E65, E85 and E90, it just hasn't come together on the 1 and X3 which look awkward. I can't be alone in this opinion..... the car is struggling for sales in the UK in a segment where the BMW propellor badge isn't enough to justify a high price tag.

I'll admit the Golf won't set pulses racing but the subtle changes to the GTi are enough to give it a strong visual prescence... especially in red. The interior of the BMW is fairly good but the finish and materials in the Golf are better to look at and to touch. The design of the interior is also less contrived than the interior of the 1 series. It just seems to look much better because it is simpler and more focused. I wish BMW would source their dash and interior plastics from VW's suppliers.
[snapback]90487[/snapback]
"Each to their own",indeed. Just for me Z4, 1-and 5- series are the best representatives of the modern look and styling, i.e.revolution. Golf is an endless evolution from the previous century, looks now more and more boring....
Old 02-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

IMO the new Golf looks like crap, what it is. It has waaaay too many problems.
The big pro's are the price and the space for the rear passengers.
But when it comes to handling and comfort (for the driver and passenger) I'd prefer the 1series!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

I don't fight with You guys... I just like RWD. Even I know that ther is some... Prove to me that i'm faster with FWD...

Skaffa

A.K.A old fashion

Quick Reply: 130i available in europe