New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

From NYC

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone! As you can tell from my handle, I was from Queens and had lived in Somerset County, NJ for about ten years.

My interest in cars is actually relatively new as I am actually a high-speed railroad/subway tech fanatic. In preparation for my EE major, the closest that I've researched about cars was doing a research project as a HS Senior on the automobiles' old ignition system (with distributor) with thorough calculations and example/data/graphs. However, I didn't fully get into cars until my freshman year in college when a fellow Engineering classmate (who owns an S5 coupe and soon G37s coupe) educated me on almost all the basics. However from way back, I had always been a fan of the 5-series, acknowledging that the 3-series (excluding M3) is not worthy of showing off. Like many people, I am disappointed at the F10 M5 from an aesthetic perspective as the stubbed nose killed off the front at least.

In light of my family's near 18-year old Toyota Avalon showing signs of age at 187K miles, we are planning to replace it with a recently bought 2011 F10 528i. Much to my disappointment in aesthetics, it actually handles well to my needs as I learned driving with a RL1 Honda Odyssey (ironically feels lighter than 528i). I had also tested the 328xi, 335i, A4, and A5 before making this decision. We initially went with the A4, but an incompetent salesman drove us crazy and we canceled it at last second. I am generally an aggressive driver who prefers heavy-feeling cars, and yes that means I love taking my Odyssey beyond its limits.

One of my dream cars is still an M5 customized with an Eisenmann exhaust system and I will do what it takes to get it!

-HC
Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Congrats on the 528. If you have a chance to apply some of your engineering prowess toward squeezing some significant performance out of that 528, please do share

And not for nothing, but what's up with that unhealthy obsession with the Odyssey? j/k

PS BTW you might actually like the steering on the 535 with X drive better, because on the X-drive equipped 2011-on 5ers (aka F10), the steering system is not electric, as it is on the RWD (aka "i") versions
Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 AM
New Members

Yeah I thought that the steering, while reasonably tight feels slightly misaligned. I've been considering a wheel alignment, but am hesitant as the electronically-controlled steering might play a role in terms of response. The 535xi was one of our original targets, but it blew over our budget when the F10 came out. I figured that if I were to become a better driver, then I should learn how to climb slippery hills with RWD. Otherwise, there is no real problem to RWD asides from over-steering and fish-tailing on slippery conditions. Not to mention, I plan to eventually drift with this car.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by NYLifeInNJ
Not to mention, I plan to eventually drift with this car.
LOL