New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

New Member From NY Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

New here, and thinking about buying a used 5 series. This will be my first luxury car, upgrading from a 97 Toyota Corolla so obviously I have a lot of questions. Most have been answered by reading some posts but im still wondering about a few things. Im particularly interested in an 06/07, and was wondering whats the deal with the HUD, was is standard or is it an option? Also would appreciate any comments about must have options and things to stay away from. tia
Old 10-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Contributors

THE HUD IS AN OPTION.. IMO not important... as far what you must have.. sport package is a must.. prem pakage.. nav,logic 7 radio.comfort accses.. and the colour i would go with is ALPINEWHITE ITS THE BEST..... .. good luck on you car.. post pic`s when you get her...
Old 10-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lemmegetatthat' post='696503' date='Oct 18 2008, 03:11 PM
Hi guys,

New here, and thinking about buying a used 5 series. This will be my first luxury car, upgrading from a 97 Toyota Corolla so obviously I have a lot of questions. Most have been answered by reading some posts but im still wondering about a few things. Im particularly interested in an 06/07, and was wondering whats the deal with the HUD, was is standard or is it an option? Also would appreciate any comments about must have options and things to stay away from. tia
Aside from doing the research to decide what options would be most meaningful for you, do your homework before buying any BMW. These cars are very complex and are woefully expensive to repair when outside of warranty.

So, unless you are related to Warren Buffet, get talking with a local BMW Dealer SA who would be willing to pull a prospective vehicle VIN for service and warranty information. CarFax is OK but not fail proof. A pre-purchase inspection by a qualified and BMW-KNOWLEDGEABLE mechanic is, in my humble opinion, a MUST!

Know what your budget is and cushion it with an extra few thousand if you're easily bitten by the mod-bug. There is no known cure once bitten

Now, ready ... set ... shop ... BUY!

BTW, I have HUD and find it very convenient - esp with NAV!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

GL with your research and upcoming purchase and to the forum...

As Stated, HUD i an option, if you get it...make sure your sunglasses are not polarized
Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

SPORTS PACKAGE a must good luck and to the forums!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Contributors

Forgot to add - you're in NY ... if that's NYC, search the forum for advice on wheel and tire insurance especially if you buy an e60 with the Sport Package. If you're upstate, you'll definitely need a winter tire set-up. Add that to your budget.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Members

thanks a lot guys. Im actually hoping to get a good deal because a friend of mine is a dealer, and gets cars from the high end dealer auctions. I have driven in some of the cars he gets and they are usually in great condition. Im going to try to find one with as many options as I can because it will still work out cheaper than the 2009 Honda Accord I was thinking about before he slapped some sense into me...30k for a Honda is a joke.
I asked about the HUD because after browsing ebay and autotrader to gauge prices, i found that no one lists that the car is equipped with hud. i guess its just an overlooked feature and you wont know until you sit in the car, same goes for active cruise.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Originally Posted by lemmegetatthat' post='696647' date='Oct 18 2008, 07:51 PM
thanks a lot guys. Im actually hoping to get a good deal because a friend of mine is a dealer, and gets cars from the high end dealer auctions. I have driven in some of the cars he gets and they are usually in great condition. Im going to try to find one with as many options as I can because it will still work out cheaper than the 2009 Honda Accord I was thinking about before he slapped some sense into me...30k for a Honda is a joke.
I asked about the HUD because after browsing ebay and autotrader to gauge prices, i found that no one lists that the car is equipped with hud. i guess its just an overlooked feature and you wont know until you sit in the car, same goes for active cruise.

HUD is actually extremely useful if you like to oush your car and/or are getting navigation. If you have NAV and HUD, its an amazing combo that is convenient, practical and cool.

+1 on "No polarized glasses"...I had new ones from Lens Crafters..had to exchange the lenses as I couldn't view my HUD any loger...

As for used '06/'07, go CPO, get extended maintainence package up to 100k miles and live worry free until then. Its transferrable if you sell the car and will keep you from shelling out unexpected thousands.

AND THE BIGGEST THING- STAY AWAY FROM ANYONE WITH THE FOLLOWING NAMES ON THIS BOARD- C's Bimmer, Calton, C, Charmenian, My Wife...He will make you spend money like an Irishman drinks beer at a Keg party (whatever that means...)
Old 10-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Welcome.

You will get a lot of advices and ideas here in this forum. Usually this would translate to thinner wallet. So be careful.

Quick Reply: New Member From NY Seeking Advice