New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Long time listener, first time caller?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E70 xDrive35i LCI N55, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, 4zone climate, Heated seats F/R, HK Surround Sound
Model Year: 2012
Engine: N55
Default Long time listener, first time caller?

Hello Everyone.

My name is Greg, from the Seattle, WA area. Few months ago I purchased my first E60, a 2004 with high miles, but cared for. It was cheap, and I had a good feeling about the car.

Not my first BMW, that was a 750iL. Money pit with a bad engine. I would have fixed the engine, if I had found someone to work on it. Drivable, but not great. Had fixed everything else. Shame to let that one go.

I have been reading the posts here for many weeks and thank you all for contributing. The forum knowledge and experience with these cars has helped make my ownership experience with this new purchase far more enjoyable. It is a great car with many miles left in her. Already shopping for another one. I really enjoy working on BMW cars. Cheaper than therapy.

Since the E60 body was unveiled, I wanted one of these cars. From the early spy photos the car spoke to me. Then I saw the early production cars while in Germany. Beautiful. Now an aging beauty that has stood the test of time.

I bought a well kept, used car with major miles. And I knew several things would need to be done. I was prepared to put some money into it. The only thing I was not really prepared for was a transmission issue, that a dealer kindly offered to fix with a new transmission and several thousands of my dollars. Joke is on them, I already had a good idea what the issue really was and used them for diagnostics that I did not have the tools or patience to check. They kindly confirmed what the problem was not: good news for me.

Long story short, new trans solenoids, seals, filter and fluid. Did all the work myself. No errors, no issues. Runs and drives like new.

I am a little concerned though, there are no coolant leaks and even with a very small oil leak, the level has only gone down a tiny bit after 6K miles. If it is not using oil (185K on the clock,) it must be broken. Are they not supposed to be burning oil at that mileage? Must have the dealer fix this pronto!

So far I have replaced the angel eye bulbs, polished the headlights, replaced questionable TCU to enable bluetooth and replaced hood and trunk struts. Set of new tires rounds out most of the spend so far. Even DIY, the transmission service was not a cheap repair but well worth it.

The only thing I was not prepared for is the price to replace the damaged cup holders. Are they made from plastic coated gold? How is such a poorly engineered device so expensive? They should give you two extra pairs when you buy the car. They are disposable. I would be quite happy to have the European dashboard, no cup holders.

Have coded a couple of things, like welcome lights, added AUX and Bluetooth. I have a bluetooth adapter for the AUX input, but have not pulled the radio just yet.

I did accidentally update the replacement TCU using the k-can cable. Not just the VIN, but complete software update. Took a long time, but the update was flawless. I know, I know, do not update MOST components with this cable. Worked for me. YMMV. Picked up the replacement TCU cheap, and now I have voice control. Lucky me.

Greg

Last edited by Greggo; 01-15-2020 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 01-15-2020, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Thanks for your story Greg, and to the forum!