New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Hi from NE Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:43 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi MT6
Smile Hi from NE Ohio

Hi All,
I've recently become the newest owner of a 530xi and it's eclectic list of things that need attention... So basically I'm here for group therapy.

I bought the car because I wanted something nice, that and I was tired of working on/driving a beater economy car. Going into this my general attitude was that I enjoy putting in the effort to maintain/fix my stuff and for the most part that still holds true. I've put 1,000 miles on the car and so far here's the $core.

Needs addressed:
  • Oil stand & oil cooler gaskets
  • Random false alarm 3 times in the last 2 days = pulled fuse F51 for now to keep the peace.
  • Random iDrive system freeze, usually reboots in a few minutes while driving.
  • Valve train has noticeable noise when fully warm/hot after a drive on the freeway
  • Driver side window switch finish is coming off
  • Shift knob has lots of wear on the finish

Replaced/fixed:
  • A starter that refused to engage in a 15°F cold snap. OUCH my back!
  • The climate control panel, some buttons had cracks in the plastic or wear issues

So as you can see I'll be here regularly for the foreseeable future
Old 02-22-2016, 02:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

hi NE
Old 02-22-2016, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

to the forum, Dan.

You haven't told us the model year or whether your car is auto or manual transmission. I have an '07 530xi 6MT and haven't experienced ANY of the issues you describe. When you purchased, did you get a service history? Were you aware of any of these issues beforehand?

I have a manual sport knob with chrome finish if you're interested. PM me.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:34 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
hi NE
Hi Kyle
Old 02-22-2016, 05:41 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
to the forum, Dan.

You haven't told us the model year or whether your car is auto or manual transmission. I have an '07 530xi 6MT and haven't experienced ANY of the issues you describe. When you purchased, did you get a service history? Were you aware of any of these issues beforehand?

I have a manual sport knob with chrome finish if you're interested. PM me.
Hi Jay,
For some reason my signature is not working, the car is an 07 pre LCI with MT6 and sport trim. I was not aware of the alarm, iDrive, or starter issues. Thanks for the offer, I've already got one on the way(ruthenium).

Regards,
Dan
Old 02-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by NEO Dan
Hi Jay,
For some reason my signature is not working, the car is an 07 pre LCI with MT6 and sport trim. I was not aware of the alarm, iDrive, or starter issues. Thanks for the offer, I've already got one on the way(ruthenium).

Regards,
Dan
Dan, click the User CP link on the upper left, and then select Edit Signature. Remember to click the Save Signature button. It should work.

While you're at it, click the Garage is empty, add now link under your avatar and complete that too.

Last edited by JayArras; 02-22-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:02 AM
New Members

That's interesting, I was at home when I created the account and signature, but now I'm at work and it works.

Last edited by NEO Dan; 02-22-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Welcome Dan! Feel free to reach out to us if you ever need anything.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:30 PM
New Members

My Ride: 550i M-Sport

Hi Dan and welcome!

Sorry to hear of all the things you have noticed since purchasing the car... Just know however, that it is all part of the joys of purchasing and owning a used BMW!!

What I have found over the years of buying and selling used BMWs for my own personal use is that those who haven't had regular oil changes, or those that haven't used the correct oil (or cheap oil), usually end up with that annoying ticking or valve train noise, usually in the M54s caused by the hydraulic adjusters. Lack of oil changes or using the wrong oil usually results in leaking seals/gaskets, or issues with timing chains and guides due to improper lubrication/higher heat; or at least in my experience

Like you, I love working on my cars, but I no longer want to be addressing small issues here and there due to my growing family commitments; having learned my lesson over the years, I now only purchase used BMWs that the PO can provide service records for, specifically oil changes.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:00 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by LOWvert
Hi Dan and welcome!

Sorry to hear of all the things you have noticed since purchasing the car... Just know however, that it is all part of the joys of purchasing and owning a used BMW!!

What I have found over the years of buying and selling used BMWs for my own personal use is that those who haven't had regular oil changes, or those that haven't used the correct oil (or cheap oil), usually end up with that annoying ticking or valve train noise, usually in the M54s caused by the hydraulic adjusters. Lack of oil changes or using the wrong oil usually results in leaking seals/gaskets, or issues with timing chains and guides due to improper lubrication/higher heat; or at least in my experience

Like you, I love working on my cars, but I no longer want to be addressing small issues here and there due to my growing family commitments; having learned my lesson over the years, I now only purchase used BMWs that the PO can provide service records for, specifically oil changes.
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome. The following should validate your point quite nicely...

Friday night I got around to doing the gasket job on the oil filter stand/oil cooler. While I was cleaning the sealing surfaces and oil/dirt residue in a utility sink I decided to run hot water through the cooler to rinse out any soap I might have gotten in it and it was behaving like it had some internal restriction. It had accumulated some golden goo thick like cold honey so I ran hot water through it for a while and blew it out a few times until it was free flowing. I think it was some sort of additive that did not mix with the oil.

Last week I had set a message to LiquiMoly asking for a recommendation for my valve train noise and they suggested their motor flush and a product called Motor Protect, so I got everything back together and ran the can of motor flush and did the oil change to GC 0W/40 with the Motor Protect. There is a definite positive difference in the way the motor runs now and that worries me a bit, so now I'm wait and see mode.

Quick Reply: Hi from NE Ohio