New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Hello! New E61 owner here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:23 AM
New Members

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
My Ride: 530iT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: L33
Default Hello! New E61 owner here!

Recently bought an E61. High miles, but it was cheap, runs good, and the paint is actually pretty good. Depending on how other's builds are going in the future, this will possibly remain stock.

Had a '00 T/A, then a '05 GTO, had a kid, then downgraded to a '08 Accord. All of them have been manuals, but the E61 is an auto which is taking some getting used to. Debating on keeping the Accord just as a back up, though.

I've been wanting a BMW wagon for awhile now. Practicality and looks won me over compared to Audi or Volvo. I at first wanted an E39 touring, but trying to find one near me that wasn't rusted out or ruined due to moldy carpet was much harder than finding a clean E61. Also, every time I came across an E39 touring, it was always with the gray interior; I wanted black.

I don't have too many goals/ideas for the wagon. Replace things that need replacing, like the windshield cowl (found rusting behind the CD changer) and adding things like an AUX cord. Already have the passenger restraint malfunction so I'm waiting for my INPA cable to come in to try and fix that. Also not a huge fan of the jerking forward while coming to a stop. Searching shows it's normal, but still don't care for it. Also now the audio has given out on me along with the SOS malfunction after I removed the CD changer, so the AUX cord is coming in as well.

I plan on also 'slimming' it down as much as I can mainly by removing tech I don't need/want. Ex. auto liftgate to manual, bluetooth, PDC, 6 cd changer, iDrive to a tablet, etc etc, without going insane and keeping it cost effective. I would love to chop the top off and get a roof with no sunroof, but might not be worth it.

As I previously mentioned, depending on how certain builds on other forums go, I'd also love to put in a LS at some point, but I'm letting others take the lead. They have much more know-how than I and I just can't afford the time and money currently to tackle that sort of project.

And finally a picture:

Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

to the forum! She certainly looks like a beauty, but it sounds like, from your description, that you settled on this one instead of waiting for a more ideal car to come along. We have forum members that search nationwide for what they're looking for and then travel to pick up the car if it matches their checklist.

I'd say live with what you got for the time being and keep your eyes pealed for that unicorn, because they are out there. Be prepared to widen your search and perhaps pay more for what you really want. Bimmers hold their resale fairly well, so you should be able to recoup your original investment if you don't wait too long.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 AM
New Members

Thanks!

It's honestly not too bad. Besides not being a stick, it's pretty much all I want; a black on black 5-series touring. I'll be reading Evan's build thread multiple times if the LS swaps don't turn up much in the coming year or two. Or I can be a guinea pig, buy a wrecked RWD manual 3/5 series and try it out that way.

I did think about doing a fly and drive, but I don't like to feel as if I need to buy the car just because I spent the time and money to get to it, hence my preference for local. Granted, I wouldn't have to, but just the feeling of wasting time and money would irk me for a bit.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy

I did think about doing a fly and drive, but I don't like to feel as if I need to buy the car just because I spent the time and money to get to it, hence my preference for local. Granted, I wouldn't have to, but just the feeling of wasting time and money would irk me for a bit.

Some use it as an excuse to take a vacation and explore an area. Lucky ones use it as an excuse to visit a client or customer and write the trip off as a business expense.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:10 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
Some use it as an excuse to take a vacation and explore an area. Lucky ones use it as an excuse to visit a client or customer and write the trip off as a business expense.
Sadly, I'm not client-facing when it comes to my position at work.

For my next car, I'll convince the wife to think of it as an expensive vacation.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:23 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 700 and More!

Welcome to 5 Series. Super clean wagon! Looks and sounds like it could be a fun feature project. Good luck and I am here if you ever need anything.