New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Hello (allo)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am Charles.

I recently upgraded to the Bavarian auto market from Japanese, and am ready for all the pro's and con's that come with a move like this. I live in Irvine, Ca. and Berlin, Germany (Prenzlauer Berg to be specific but I am moving to Mitte next year).

As an enthusiast with an undying desire to constantly modify my belongings, joining a forum seemed like a natural fit. While I work far too much to think that actually meeting any of you is a reality (except the vendors), I look forward to interacting with you on the board.

I was at the Toy's for Tot's today, but didn't stay long - I got a feel for the crowd though.

I am thinking about being one of the DIY picture posters. I really enjoy taking things apart, and have gotten pretty good at it over the years, re-assembly has gotten better too

When I bought the car, the first thing I noticed and became confused about was the fact that those damn Bavarians put a rubberized coating on the black plastic that the trim and parts of the console are composed of. Knowing my options were limited because I paid for my car out of pocket, I had to fix this cheap. So I decided to take the whole center console apart, including the shifter, climate control and radio.

I realized that (for one Mercedes are harder to take apart, haha) the coating WANTS to come off the plastic so I helped it along. I used the nearest thing to a solvent I could find (Windex) and a micro-fiber cloth to speed up the process. I sprayed the Windex and the edges where the rubberized plastic gave way to the dull underneath began to peel up. I worked at it for an hour or so and got all the rubberized paint off, and the consistency that I sought after showed through. I did this to the shifter bezel as well. When I took the shifter off, I noticed that it too had a pointless, fragile coating on it that was chipping away. To solve this I removed the 'metal' (plastic) center from the shifter, sanded it down with 1000 grit sand paper and finished it with a brillo pad, giving it the authentically reproduced look of brushed aluminum. Not bad for free, real replacements for all mentioned will come with time.

Another thing about my car that was not working for me was the radio knob. It was broken and wobbled side to side. It contained no ability to adjust the volume, but the momentary contact 'mute' function still worked. I looked on ebay for replacement radio units, and was appalled by the prices. Under no circumstances can this unit justify the cost. I personally find my iDrive a bit useless, and the prompt for agreement annoying considering that I do not have Navigation/iPod or Bluetooth. So basically I have an over glorified stopwatch that shows me what radio station I am listening to. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this car, but I am not dazzled by glitter. So the only option was to continue to adjust the volume on the steering wheel or fix the unit.

Upon disassembly I was happy to see that the volume/mute, eject and forward/back buttons were controlled by an isolated multi layer board housed in the front bezel of the CD player. I removed the top of the CD player, unplugged the cable, slid the face off, and removed the board with 3 torx screws. I de-soldered the switch and took it apart - bingo. The shaft had broken internally, must have made the person who did this feel silly, it isn't as if this button protrudes in any normal path of movement (related to driving that is).

A careful application of superglue, a few minutes of holding the assembly in place while the glue set, and success. I re-soldered the volume/mute knob back tot the board, put the radio and my car back together and marveled at the money I saved.

This is just the beginning, I do not like being limited by proprietary software and equipment, so I am sure I will post regarding my other changes, some you like, some you will laugh at, and some will make you glad I am not social enough to make it to all the meet and greets, haha.

Thank you all for this amazing place to get information - I look forward to our interactions.

Bis Bald!

Charles
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome. didnt get to meet you at toys 4 tots, I think it may have been while some of us were out eating lunch. hopefully we'll meet sometime soon man. enjoy the forums.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

whoa!!! what an introduction!! to the forum, looking forward on your DIYs.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Glad to have you on board!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:55 AM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

Welcome to forums.. enjoy your stay..
Old 12-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

Originally Posted by BMWRINO' post='745565' date='Dec 15 2008, 10:55 AM
Welcome to forums.. enjoy your stay..
Please to meet your acquaintance..we hope to be of assistance and amusement.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Man, I really felt dumb reading that... I need some technical knowledge.

Bless you sir, pleasure to meet you...

Tonymac
Old 12-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

to the forums Charles!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Contributors

Thank you all for the warm welcome
Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Members

Welcome from another newbie!

Quick Reply: Hello (allo)