New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Hello All

Old 08-08-2017, 06:02 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i - Titangrau II Metallic - Cold weather package - Logic 7 sound
Default Hello All

So i have this 545i with 240K miles on it. Bought it new in 2005 and just don't seem to be able to part with her. Cosmetically, she still looks great...no dents or even door dings. Front bumper cover has a some paint pitting from all the highway miles but no damage. Interior looks great, leather has no tears or real sign of wear, carpet is still good and all electronics work as they always have. I had all of the scheduled service done at local BMW dealer for most of the miles as i drove it for work and company paid all the service bills. Major work done; replaced all coolant system components, new alternator, trans gaskets.

Engine is running a little rough and burning oil (no smoke from exhaust but adding 1 quart a month before I stopped driving her about 6 months ago). Still has all the power when stepping on it! Could be bad coil(s) and or CCV. Not sure but at 300K miles....could be valves or rings. Thinking about repowering the car with used engine with less miles. Found several on Ebay $1200 to $2300. Have a mechanic that can do the work for about $1800.

Am i just crazy to do this? I really love the car and she is still very SEXY!! I have a 2000 Z3 2.3 with 135K that still looks and drives amazing. Anyone else out there understand my desire to extend the life of this car?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Absolutely! If she gives you joy, and you have the means, I'd say GO FOR IT!

One question though... You've had this car for TWELVE YEARS and you just NOW are joining this forum?? Where have you been all of this time??

Just kidding! We're glad to have you here!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:58 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i - Titangrau II Metallic - Cold weather package - Logic 7 sound

Jay,

I have been on the Alfa Romeo board trying to restore an old Spider which is a little simpler to work on than the BMW...for this novice anyway. I think that experience has given me a little confidence to tackle keeping the Bimmer running. Also, i no longer work for the company that paid the maintenance bills on the Bimmer so I better figure it out!

Glad to be here!!!

Thanks, John
Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by jfkirk2
So i have this 545i with 240K miles on it. Bought it new in 2005 and just don't seem to be able to part with her. Cosmetically, she still looks great...no dents or even door dings. Front bumper cover has a some paint pitting from all the highway miles but no damage. Interior looks great, leather has no tears or real sign of wear, carpet is still good and all electronics work as they always have. I had all of the scheduled service done at local BMW dealer for most of the miles as i drove it for work and company paid all the service bills. Major work done; replaced all coolant system components, new alternator, trans gaskets.

Engine is running a little rough and burning oil (no smoke from exhaust but adding 1 quart a month before I stopped driving her about 6 months ago). Still has all the power when stepping on it! Could be bad coil(s) and or CCV. Not sure but at 300K miles....could be valves or rings. Thinking about repowering the car with used engine with less miles. Found several on Ebay $1200 to $2300. Have a mechanic that can do the work for about $1800.

Am i just crazy to do this? I really love the car and she is still very SEXY!! I have a 2000 Z3 2.3 with 135K that still looks and drives amazing. Anyone else out there understand my desire to extend the life of this car?
Nice to hear from someone else who hasn't had all the "terrible" oil leaks, valve seals, coolant leaks etc. before 200K miles. Mine is also a 2005 545 6mt, with essentially the same history as yours. I did do the valve cover and front cam chain cover gaskets at 205K miles, but I don't consider that as a chronic problem with these engines.
I have kept BMW engines for over 200K (one had 400K miles) without any major problems, including unusual oil leaks or leaking valves. Alternators, water and fuel pumps, yes, but major issues, no. Just take care of the fluids, which it appears you have done, and one should get good reliability, especially considering that these are performance machines.

Good luck in keeping yours for at least another 5 years.

Bob P.

Bob P.

Search this Thread