New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Greetings from TN

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 530i
Default Greetings from TN

Greetings!
Im relatively new to the forum scene, so allow me to apologize for any ''Noobness"

I'm an '02 530 owner(Black/beige) that just turned 180K. It's been a wonderful car over the last 10 years, but It's repair history has spiked in the last 12 Months. Aside from the fact that it eats brakes for breakfast, I've had cooling system work, ABS precharge pump and ABS Module replacement (+$4K/12 Months). So, I am considering an upgrade to a low mileage '04-'05 530, because of the "newer" bodystyle with the "old" style 3.0L. On the flipside, I'm also considering a "newer" 535 because I have heard that it's the "old" 3.0L just turbo charged. My basis for this is that I like my current 3.0L and I have heard horror stories about the fragility of the "reworked" (silver top) 3.0L '06-Up. Anyone with tips, insight, and such feel free to share.

I've got a few oddball/Noob questions; some things i'm confused about or just don't understand.

1. What are the differences in the pre/post LCI cars?

2. Servotronic steering, is it really worth the extra? if so, what's the service history been like?

3. Are the Comfort seats that much nicer than the standard sport seats?

4. How has the 535 powertrain held up to the turbos? I ask because I'm a slightly aggressive driver, and I'm curious about the durability.
(I probably understated that, I leave my current car in Sport, and "manual" shift whenever I see a gap opening... or a prius approaching...)

5. How did BMW package the Bluetooth option? I want to be able to stream audio from my phone (music) without the cords, if possible.

(Lastly)
6. Logic 7, can I tell if a car has it "at a glance" or will i need to turn the stereo on?

I've been doing a bit of thread searching already but, anyone with a link or insight feel free to jump in?

Thanks for your time, and any input you may have to offer!

Da6ness
Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530xi -08

Hello!
Welcome, from another nuubie

1. LCI is the life cycle impulse that BMW introduced in 07(eu)-08(us), they made a few cosmetic changes to the front; headlights got atleast here in Europe "DRL" approved angeleyes (as the pre LCI did not have approved angeleyes), there was a little cosmetic change in the air intake area under the grill, the backlights went from bulbs to led's and the interior feels alot more "premium" as the pre LCI is feeling quite plastic and noisy (knocks and kracks) and not as premium as a fiver should be.

There were also a few engine changes as almost all the engines had a remap and some went up from a 2.5 litre to a 3 litre displacement. Also a few more bhp was found as well as lower emissions, hence higher mpg too.

The new automatic gearbox appeared in the five series aswell. The "joystick" with lights indicating the gear position.

Maybe a few more options when ordering from a dealer appeared too; I'm not sure about this tho.

2. People on different forums who has servotronic says it took a while to get used too but in the end it feels good. I've never driven it but I'd like too as I do not have that option in my fiver.

3. I've got the comfort seats in my fiver and they are almost as good as Volvo's seats. Imho. I don't have any info on the sport seats in the fiver, I've only seated the 3 series and there is a difference of course; the sport seats are a bit harder, but feels very good when driving a bit aggressive.

The comfort seats has the ability to change the higher level of the back and also the sides of the back. So it can become the sport seat if you want to. Or you could have it as a comfort seat. It's the way you like it.

4. In Sweden the 535i wasn't sold as there weren't alot if interest in it. Low sales figures probably. But the 335i was sold and I've never read/heard about any problems with the drivetrain. But if you drive aggressively it says itself; the lifetime of the gearbox/clutch will be shorter. If you want to drive aggressively I'd recommend a 535i with a stick. As it's a very VERY good engine in the car with very low turbo lag so it becomes a perfect match with a manual gearbox. Also, the clutch is alot cheaper to change instead of an automatic gearbox if it would break down.

5. I've got a 530xi -08 LCI. It came with bluetooth but there is no streaming ability, only telephone. I've seen it on the new F10/11 but I'm not sure if it exists in the E60/61.

6. I got Logic7 in my and can only spot it in the iDrives settings menu, so yes. You would either have to train your ear to hear the differences or enter the iDrives audio settings.

Cheers and again; welcome!

Santrik
Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2002 530i
Thumbs up

Santrik,

Thanks for the welcome and the info, that was exactly what I was looking for! So, it sounds like I should hold our for the '08-up because of several reasons. Then thats my plan.

Thanks again for the welcome and the info!

Da6ness
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums