New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

Bonjour de France - first time I love a car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: April 2004 BMW 520i

Hi y'all...

3-4 weeks ago, I was cruising around car dealers in my area, having to replace my oooold Citroen...
I stopped at the BMW dealer, just for fun : I always liked the look of those cars (specially the "new" series 5, had no idea then what E60 could mean), but they seemed out of reach, moneywise...

And then here was a wonderful blue 520i that litteraly grabbed my collar and told me sooo sweetly "take me, I'm yours !".
It had just arrived on the previous day, was not ready for sale yet, owned by what my wife calls a "turbo-grandad", you know, the kind of 80+ year old who has plenty of money and buys a new car regularly and takes it out of the garage twice a week, once for food supplies, the other time to go to the restaurant at noon on sunday (always the same restaurant, I'm sure you met some of those people one day).

So here was this wonderful car, exactly four years old, 22000 miles, and the BMW mechanic telling me it came every month to check oil level and tyres pressure, for one third of the price new.

I asked if I could take the car for a little test. Sure !
And less than a mile later, I stopped to call my wife so she can bring the checkbook as fast as a volkswagen can !
A mile is enough to fall in love with a 520i, though I'd never thought I could ever fall for a car...

Being a second hand car I couldnt choose any option, and I'm a little lost from everything I read here and there...
I got even more lost reading the owner's manual !
And the more I'm reading so many information on forums like this one (and this really seems to be the very best one !), the more questions pop up in my mind.
I'll pay very much attention to search this site as well as I can before asking silly questions,but please, forgive me in advance if some of my questions seem silly, I'm totally new to BMWs, and to good (great !) cars in general.

I cant present my 520i with many details, but from what I know, here it is :
- color is mysticblau (A07M)
- no leather, seats are in a yellowish color I really do not like, but it is the only thing I dislike in the car !
(and the color reference is ABBA, and I dont like their music either...)
- wheels style 134
- Pack Distance Control (my kids love it when it goes red and beeeeeeps)
- Navigation system with radio business (provided DVD is 2004-1)
- prepared for 6CD changer (no changer inside)
- automatic "anti-eblouissement" (cant find the english word) mirrors, inside and outside
- back seats can be folded, includes ski-bag
- servotronic (seems important, no idea what this is !)
- anti-infrared windshield, side and back windows (464)
- cup holders
- DVD Region code 2 (can I watch movies ??? didnt try but I guess not)
- car type NA31, production date 04/04/2004, delivery date 29/04/2004 (04/29/2004 for you americans)

As much as I did read so many posts here, I guess my little 520i wont impress many of you, but I dont care, I just love it !

Not sure if this is the right place, but as a total newbie, may I ask a few questions only a total newbie can ask, please dont flame me for the ridiculous content :
I read everywhere about I-Drive...
Does my car have it ?
I mean, on the screen, top menu, there is a big I in the center, and when I push it, I get access to many sub-menus you probably all know.
Is this the I-drive or are we talking about something else ?
Also, I tried all kinds of settings (on Nero, Win XP, even i-tunes) to burn many mp3-CDs to read on the CDplayer (only one on my car, I have to eject the navigation DVD to play a CD) and it doesnt work at all : disks are not readable, but my owner's manual says it can read mp3. Did I read well the manual and am I doing something wrong burning the discs, or do I have to have mp3 enabled by the BMW dealer ? (production date, again, is april 2004)

OK, enough for tonight, and congrats+++++ for this wonderful forum.
I feel at home here.
And sorry for the poor english (are there any forums in French somewhere ? They cant be as good as here, but still, it might be easier for me sometimes)

Keep on rockin'....

Old 05-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by glimmerchef' post='587152' date='May 23 2008, 06:38 PM
Hi y'all...

3-4 weeks ago, I was cruising around car dealers in my area, having to replace my oooold Citroen...
I stopped at the BMW dealer, just for fun : I always liked the look of those cars (specially the "new" series 5, had no idea then what E60 could mean), but they seemed out of reach, moneywise...

And then here was a wonderful blue 520i that litteraly grabbed my collar and told me sooo sweetly "take me, I'm yours !".
It had just arrived on the previous day, was not ready for sale yet, owned by what my wife calls a "turbo-grandad", you know, the kind of 80+ year old who has plenty of money and buys a new car regularly and takes it out of the garage twice a week, once for food supplies, the other time to go to the restaurant at noon on sunday (always the same restaurant, I'm sure you met some of those people one day).

So here was this wonderful car, exactly four years old, 22000 miles, and the BMW mechanic telling me it came every month to check oil level and tyres pressure, for one third of the price new.

I asked if I could take the car for a little test. Sure !
And less than a mile later, I stopped to call my wife so she can bring the checkbook as fast as a volkswagen can !
A mile is enough to fall in love with a 520i, though I'd never thought I could ever fall for a car...

Being a second hand car I couldnt choose any option, and I'm a little lost from everything I read here and there...
I got even more lost reading the owner's manual !
And the more I'm reading so many information on forums like this one (and this really seems to be the very best one !), the more questions pop up in my mind.
I'll pay very much attention to search this site as well as I can before asking silly questions,but please, forgive me in advance if some of my questions seem silly, I'm totally new to BMWs, and to good (great !) cars in general.

I cant present my 520i with many details, but from what I know, here it is :
- color is mysticblau (A07M)
- no leather, seats are in a yellowish color I really do not like, but it is the only thing I dislike in the car !
(and the color reference is ABBA, and I dont like their music either...)
- wheels style 134
- Pack Distance Control (my kids love it when it goes red and beeeeeeps)
- Navigation system with radio business (provided DVD is 2004-1)
- prepared for 6CD changer (no changer inside)
- automatic "anti-eblouissement" (cant find the english word) mirrors, inside and outside
- back seats can be folded, includes ski-bag
- servotronic (seems important, no idea what this is !)
- anti-infrared windshield, side and back windows (464)
- cup holders
- DVD Region code 2 (can I watch movies ??? didnt try but I guess not)
- car type NA31, production date 04/04/2004, delivery date 29/04/2004 (04/29/2004 for you americans)

As much as I did read so many posts here, I guess my little 520i wont impress many of you, but I dont care, I just love it !

Not sure if this is the right place, but as a total newbie, may I ask a few questions only a total newbie can ask, please dont flame me for the ridiculous content :
Does my car have it ?
I mean, on the screen, top menu, there is a big I in the center, and when I push it, I get access to many sub-menus you probably all know.
Also, I tried all kinds of settings (on Nero, Win XP, even i-tunes) to burn many mp3-CDs to read on the CDplayer (only one on my car, I have to eject the navigation DVD to play a CD) and it doesnt work at all : disks are not readable, but my owner's manual says it can read mp3. Did I read well the manual and am I doing something wrong burning the discs, or do I have to have mp3 enabled by the BMW dealer ? (production date, again, is april 2004)

OK, enough for tonight, and congrats+++++ for this wonderful forum.
I feel at home here.
And sorry for the poor english (are there any forums in French somewhere ? They cant be as good as here, but still, it might be easier for me sometimes)

Keep on rockin'....

Congrats!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by glimmerchef' post='587152' date='May 23 2008, 11:38 PM
Does my car have it ?
Bonjour
Welcome to the forum.

And here are few answers of your questions:

Yes, you have idrive in your car

Early 04 built car can't read the mp3 in your CD player (Like mine), but you can upgrade the software to enable the function (Please correct me if i was wrong)
Try negotiate this with your dealer and they might do it for free

If you don't like the interior, i'd rekon you should find one that you really like. Cos this is the place that you'll spent most with the car

Enjoy
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Congrats to the decision that changed your life forever and pics please
Old 05-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

I agree with kieth 84 if at this time in your life you are ready to purchase this type of vehicle then shop a little more. get the options and color you like and don't settle just because. Good luck and keep searching you already know what your dream car is, now go find it...

Rick....
Old 05-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Good for you and welcome !! Bon Chance !!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats. welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

, enjoy the forums as well as your new car...
Old 05-28-2008, 05:21 AM
Members

My Ride: April 2004 BMW 520i

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='587202' date='May 24 2008, 01:48 AM
I agree with kieth 84 if at this time in your life you are ready to purchase this type of vehicle then shop a little more. get the options and color you like and don't settle just because. Good luck and keep searching you already know what your dream car is, now go find it...

Rick....

Thanxalot slickrick and all others for the warm welcome.

I bought the car just a month ago now, and I really love it.
I live by the beach and I have a 7 km trip from home to work. My travel back from work has not improved : gone from 5 minutes to sometimes an hour !

I'm getting used to the yellow fabric, though I still cant say I like it.
I'll have to wait for a while before I can change the car, and besides, I like this one so much I cant see a reason to change now

But to tell the truth, I'm already thinking about the options I'll get on the next one !
I'm looking at the bigger models (550....), as the 520i has a "little" engine, but still it delivers a lot and is a dramatic change from what I used to drive.

And before that, I'm thinking about some improvements (Ipod is a must for me, probably bluetooth too if it's not too expensive, upgrade to navigation professionnal someday...) but still, I'm quite happy like that, and all my friends are very much jealous !

Old 05-28-2008, 06:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Music to our ears!. You sound like most here, completely in love with our cars. Sounds like a great car, now you need to take pictures and post them so we can enjoy what YOU enjoy.

Bonjour, je m'appelle Marco

Quick Reply: Bonjour de France - first time I love a car...