New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself. Everyone here was once new to the 5 Series Forums so don't be shy! Welcome!

2008 550i Finally Here - One Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='423255' date='May 11 2007, 06:14 AM
Leave it with its back to the sun for some time or use a hair dryer for 1 minute, then dental floss for each number/letter, then use some 'Goo Gone.' Less than 10 minutes, simple, no damage to paint (at least not to mine). I love the clean look. I understand why people don't de-badge as it is a purely personal choice, but I love how the car looks without what I consider to be unnecessary clutter. Great car, best wishes. 093
Ya I never thought a 550 would debadge-99 percent of people I know who debadge have a 325i or a 525i and do not wanna have that on-which makes no sense to me. Same thing with people who try to make their car look like an M3/M5 or whatever. Enjoy your car for what it is-in this case I have nothing to say since its obviously just for the look but definetly counterintuitive.

I kinda like keeping the 530 badgeon so if you beat someone in a race they feel extra bad that a slowass 530 took ya (all in fun of course-its not really "slow") but you know what I mean if ya have one
Old 05-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 20045seriesOC' post='422796' date='May 9 2007, 11:10 PM
Its very easy to debadge your car. Use hair dryer to heat the glue behind the numbers, then use dental floss to remove them. There will be some excess glue left on the paint, just use bug and tar remover to remove the excess glue. Better yet, like you said just have the dealer remove them. It takes just minutes.

Can this technique be used to remove the front slap on the fender reflectors? I'd love to get rid of those first thing when my 550 comes in. Are they slap on or do they involve screws and holes? Anybody know- thoughts?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rico' post='422792' date='May 9 2007, 10:59 PM
My 2008 550i has finally arrived and will be prepped/detailed tomorrow (Thursday) for a Friday morning delivery. The car looks outstanding and I cannot wait to drive it. Pics to follow in the next day or so. There is one problem though. I specifically ordered the car without the "550i" badge but it showed up at the dealership with it on! The window sticker even has "Debadge Included" on it. Somebody obviously screwed up - I am guessing they put the badge on at the VPC.

So what should I do? Do I have the dealership remove the badge and run the risk of them damaging the paint? Leave it on and see if I can get them to comp me something? Suggestions????

....they are shipped to the US with the badges, your dealer removes it when ordered as such, only takes 5 mins to do ...good luck and post some pix when you take delivery
Old 05-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by whay' post='423274' date='May 11 2007, 09:11 AM
Can this technique be used to remove the front slap on the fender reflectors? I'd love to get rid of those first thing when my 550 comes in. Are they slap on or do they involve screws and holes? Anybody know- thoughts?
They are embedded. Trust me, they are completely innocuous and I never even notice them. 5 minutes after walking away from the car, I make a point to ask every person who looks at my car and walks around it with me, what they thought of the fender reflectors, and not one person to date (3 weeks now) knew what I was talking about. And besides, I like them! They are the fastest way to spot an '08, they are consistent with the look of the other BMWs and I'll take them and clear headlight assembly over the yellow reflector in the headlights. I definitely prefer the configuration to the pre LCI.

As for debadging, it's a personal choice. I debadged my M3 and my 528 because I think it's a much cleaner, less cluttered look. I never even thought to do it until my uncle debadged his E39 M5 and I loved the look. It's up to each person and any choice is wonderful (EXCEPT putting a phony badge on--I think that's BADDDDDD).

My dealer would not debadge for me--outright refusal.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='423284' date='May 11 2007, 10:42 AM
They are embedded. Trust me, they are completely innocuous and I never even notice them. 5 minutes after walking away from the car, I make a point to ask every person who looks at my car and walks around it with me, what they thought of the fender reflectors, and not one person to date (3 weeks now) knew what I was talking about. And besides, I like them! They are the fastest way to spot an '08, they are consistent with the look of the other BMWs and I'll take them and clear headlight assembly over the yellow reflector in the headlights. I definitely prefer the configuration to the pre LCI.

As for debadging, it's a personal choice. I debadged my M3 and my 528 because I think it's a much cleaner, less cluttered look. I never even thought to do it until my uncle debadged his E39 M5 and I loved the look. It's up to each person and any choice is wonderful (EXCEPT putting a phony badge on--I think that's BADDDDDD).

My dealer would not debadge for me--outright refusal.
Thanks 093. Yeah, not a good idea if they're embedded. I've seem them in person and they're not nearly as noticable as in pics but I still don't like them. I much prefer a cleaner, sleeker look. I definately like the clear headlights and prefer the lci to prior models in that regard, just want this puppy perferct. Guess I'll wait for an aftermarket solution.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.

debadging is purely taste and choice. ive seen 545s and 550s debadged and it does look clean. sucks for someone who comes up wanting to race them thinking it's a 525 or something since a lot of others think that.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='423425' date='May 11 2007, 03:56 PM
welcome and enjoy the forums.

debadging is purely taste and choice. ive seen 545s and 550s debadged and it does look clean. sucks for someone who comes up wanting to race them thinking it's a 525 or something since a lot of others think that.

Yeah.... but most of the time, a debadged car is merely someone with a 525i who wants people to think he has a car costing $20,000 more. :thumbsdown:

As for the reflectors. In a few months, there will be an aftermarket solution. Bav Auto sells paint-colored reflector inserts for older models like the current M3. So it's only a matter of time before these are available for the E90 and new E60.