Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

Service Advisor or Parts Advisor as a career

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 AM
jpn
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 528xi
Model Year: 2008
Default Service Advisor or Parts Advisor as a career

Hi guys looking to switch up my careers and was wondering which one will suit me better Service advisor or Parts advisor. I have been working on, selling cars and parts all my life (BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc) but decided not to go into the field of tech since I didn't want to turn my love and hobby into a job so I went into X-ray. I noticed that I still end up helping people with cars here and giving them suggestions on repairs and parts no matter where I am and I like giving advice on things like that. Thing is only documented proof of my work in cars is high school tech class and brief time working for Strauss Auto before college. So now I feel I want to get into a field I love and have a passion for cars and helping people. Any information and opinions are greatly appreciated. So I guess my questions are:

1. How do I get into that position
2. What does each job require
3. Difference in pay (average)
4. Advancement opportunities
5. Pros & Cons
Old 08-24-2014, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I have no idea unless you see the job advertised somewhere. From the SA's that I've came across, some didn't appear to be too bright and I can't imagine that they are paid that well. There was an entire group brought into the local BMW here and after dealing with them one time I refused to waste my time with them any longer. After a few months these guys were replaced with another group which seem much better or at least pleasant to deal with. I imagine a large dealership that turns a LOT of cars, these guys would make out ok, but smaller ones that would be questionable.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

The service advisor position is basically a customer service job. You get to take lots of flack from customers for very little money. Parts advisor I think is a step up because you need to have specialized knowledge, but I don't think you'll ever get rich in that position either.

Service Manager and Parts Manager will pay more, but obviously, you'll need the experience first.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:55 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i m sport lci

pay depends in area from my experience...in the city or close to it most of the time will have better pay *parts dept* a shmuck aka parts bitch no experience usually does stocking,dirty crappy work that the experienced guys will punt off to you crappy or longer hrs usually $9-10hrs with experience and certification salary + commission(dealerships will send you to school and take online courses btw)30-75k yr parts managers ive get paid 80-135k *service dept* cleaner position slightly more pay but commission will be more based on customer csi....... hope this helps alil bit