Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

Dingolfing Plant visit , BMW AG

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 05:22 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Oct 8 2005, 11:21 AM
I went on the tour last weekend.

Couple of pointers:

- after you exit the round-about (first exit) take the first right into the bus stop and drive all the way through the bus stop to the gate at the end.? This is the visitor parking lot.? No signs in English even though 40% of there production goes to the states? :thumbsdown:

- get there a little early to visit the gift shop before your tour because it closes at 4:30.

Enjoy!
[snapback]181229[/snapback]
I'm planning on leaving home around 07:30 just to be on the safe side. It should take us 4 or so hours to get there and we can have lunch, visit the gift shop and look around before we meet with Klaus.

Any other pointers you can think of? Did you enjoy it? was it worth it? Anything special to be on the lookout for? I know you can't take pictures or video so there's nothing tangible to share from the experience, but woud you recommend it to anyone who owns an E-60/is purchasing one to do the tour?

And before I forget, I received a 2006 catalog from BMW Munich and they have a new color for the 5-Series that I hadn't seen or heard of - Barberarot Metallic - kind of a departure from the 5 shades of Gray they have...

Regards.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Contributors

It is about as interesting as any other factory tour ... if you are into that sort of thing. I enjoyed it very much. It is neat to see where all the cars are headed when you go thru the room where they are finishing up the interior. You can see signs taped to the car with US or Japan or US/Canada etc. Lots of white E60's headed to the States boys and girls!

The tour is not a sales pitch for BMW or insight into the technology in the car but all about the technology of building cars. I have never witnessed robots welding cars together or an assembly line (take away this door - install the interior - bring the door back) ... Very cool

It could be any factory anywhere I guess but this is the one that has E60's rolling out at the end
Old 10-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Members

The tour is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. The organization is mind-boggling at times.

The plant is a mini-city in itself and you look around, you'll see that it acts quite a bit like one.

The section where they (at the time) were stamping out door skins was pretty cool. All the robotics blew me away, too.

There is a room towards the end of the tour where you get to see various BMWs sliced cross-section like...again, very cool! BMW rocks!