Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

**POCONOS/SUSSEX/HARRIMAN E.60.NET MEET ON JULY 25TH***

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature
Thumbs down

Everyone:

We are repeating the route of our June 6th meet on July 25th. Here are the details. If you're coming, join the sign up sheet on the bottom of this post.

WHY: Because you know you want to experience the route of our amazing June 6th meet through the Poconos, over High Point, Jersey, through the Skylands in Sussex, County, NJ and into Harriman State Park in New York. Because the 6 members who went on the route on June 6th loved it. Because lots of members wanted to go on the June 6th meet but couldn't make the date. Because your E60 was designed for exactly this kind of challenge. Because you want to explore the full performance potential of your E60.

THE PHOTOS FROM OUR ROUTE: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=78681

THE REVIEWS OF OUR ROUTE: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=77965 (pages 3-7)

WHEN: Saturday, July 25th, 9 am sharp.

WHERE: Isolated, very rural parts of the Pocono Moutains in Pennsylvania, Sussex County New Jersey (including the High Point and Vernon Valley areas), and Upstate New York into Harriman State Park.

DIFFICULTLY LEVEL: High. This is a meet for serious drivers who want to push their rides to the limit on some amazing twisties in rural areas. If your car is lowered a lot, this is not the meet for you as you may end up with a big problem on the some of the off-camber wild twisties we will challenge in the Poconos.

STARTING POINT: The starting point will be the Olive Garden Restaurant parking lot at the Rockaway Townsquare Mall in Rockaway, New Jersey, which is directly off of Interstate 80 in Morris County, New Jersey (if you are taking 80 West, it is Exit 35A). The Olive Garden is on the right of the first entrance to the mall after you have exited Interstate 80.

Here is a link to the mall's website: http://www.simon.com/mall/mall_info.aspx?ID=116

LUNCH POINT: The Dimmick Inn in Milford, Pennsylvania. 101 East Hartford Street, Milford, PA 18337 (570-296-4021). The Dimmick Inn's website is www.dimmickinn.com

ENDING POINT: Harriman State Park in New York

THE ROUTE: The route will begin at the Rockaway Townsquare Mall and head into the Poconos at East Strousdburg, Pa. From there, we'll delight in a series of twisty, windy, scenic country roads that will take us through the Pocono Mountains, passing by Pennsylvania towns such as Newfoundland, Panther, Hamlin, Hawley and Lackawaxen. Just about all of it (once we are in the Poconos) is on small, country roads that are a driver's delight. I will distribute the exact route directions at the 9 am meet-up.

My guess is that we'll stop for lunch at the Dimmick Inn about 1:00 pm. You will see a lot of the Poconos and the northeastern corner of Pennsylvania on this drive. After lunch we'll drive up and over High Point, New Jersey into Sussex County, making our way into Orange County, New York on some twisty, mountain roads and ending up at the twisties in Harriman State Park.

In total, the route is over 200 miles long and I expect that we will end up at Harriman about 3:30-4 pm.

Please gas up before the drive begins -- especially the M5s and M6s. There are two gas stations at the Rockaway/Hibernia Exit (Exit 37) off of I-80 -- one exit before the mall exit.

WHAT TO BRING:
  • EZ PASS (If you don't own one, borrow one from someone that does)
  • Walkie-Talkies - If you have a set of Walkie-Talkies, PLEASE bring them
  • Radar detector
  • Full tank of gas
  • Camera
  • Video Camera
We will have lunch at The Dimmick Inn. The inn, located in the center of Milford, Pa (a quaint, historic town on the Delaware River near the intersection of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania), does not have a parking lot but there is street parking nearby. As you approach the inn, make a right at the traffic light which is in front of the inn and park on the side streets or in the Rite-Aid's parking lot across from the inn.

I will distibute detailed driving directions for the meet at the 9 am meet-up at the Rockaway Townsquare Mall. This will be a long and fun drive so there will be checkpoints along the way, so everyone can catch up, should people get separated from the group throughout the various drives.

Plan on carving out the whole day for this event. The drive is longer than the one for the Bear Mountain Meet and begins with a 40 mile ride from the Rockaway Townsquare Mall on I-80 to the Poconos. Once we're in the Poconos, the real driving fun begins.

Given that the Rockaway Townsquare Mall is about 40 miles West of New York City on I-80, I encourage those attending to organize caravans to get to the Rockaway Townsquare Mall.

Here is the current list of members who have told us that they are attending.

1. Sdg1871 (Scott plus Victor) -- 550

Let the good times roll.

Best,

sdg1871 (Scott)
Old 06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Tentatively in. Here's my question though... Should I put my stock wheels and tires on, instead? My 20's handle great, but if the roads aren't smooth like butter, I'd rather use my 19's.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='908136' date='Jun 11 2009, 04:47 PM
Tentatively in. Here's my question though... Should I put my stock wheels and tires on, instead? My 20's handle great, but if the roads aren't smooth like butter, I'd rather use my 19's.
Most of the roads are of OK quality. None were horrendous.

Some of them (County Rt. 106 in Harriman and Snow Hill Road) were a little rough. They are not as smooth as butter. I did not see any giant potholes (but I was concentrating on oncoming cars/trucks/deer/etc. so I was not paying huge attention to road quality) but you might be more comfy riding on the 19s than the really nice (and costly) 20's that you rolled on at the Bear Mountain Meet.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Snow Hill Road is wild (we drive 10 miles on that road) and has a lot of off-camber blind corners/turns and dramatic changes in the pitch of the road. Gregg did scrape his front bumper at some point in Snow Hill Road. Joe, with his M5, did not scape anything to my knowledge. So you may want to go with whatever wheel/tire combo gives you a little more ride height.

I'd love to see you there if you can make it. It's a great drive.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5 Alpine White/ Indy Red 6spd

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='908146' date='Jun 11 2009, 04:55 PM
Most of the roads are of OK quality. None were horrendous.

Some of them (County Rt. 106 in Harriman and Snow Hill Road) were a little rough. They are not as smooth as butter. I did not see any giant potholes (but I was concentrating on oncoming cars/trucks/deer/etc. so I was not paying huge attention to road quality) but you might be more comfy riding on the 19s than the really nice (and costly) 20's that you rolled on at the Bear Mountain Meet.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Snow Hill Road is wild (we drive 10 miles on that road) and has a lot of off-camber blind corners/turns and dramatic changes in the pitch of the road. Gregg did scrape his front bumper at some point in Snow Hill Road. Joe, with his M5, did not scape anything to my knowledge. So you may want to go with whatever wheel/tire combo gives you a little more ride height.

I'd love to see you there if you can make it. It's a great drive.
Sounds Like a Hot Drive
Old 06-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

3 days after our due date...I think I'll have to pass again
Old 06-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC' post='908155' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:01 PM
Sounds Like a Hot Drive
It sure is. You in?
Old 06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='908184' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:33 PM
3 days after our due date...I think I'll have to pass again
Sorry about the timing of the meet. But best wishes for the new little one.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='908222' date='Jun 11 2009, 06:05 PM
It sure is. You in?
I want to be, but won't promise until the day is closer. Between fiance' and work it is harder
to get away on weekends these days. I hate being a grown up at times.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC' post='908372' date='Jun 11 2009, 08:00 PM
I want to be, but won't promise until the day is closer. Between fiance' and work it is harder
to get away on weekends these days. I hate being a grown up at times.
Bring your fiance along. I'll tell Victor to charm her.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='908378' date='Jun 11 2009, 08:07 PM
Bring your fiance along. I'll tell Victor to charm her.
I wanted to bring her last time, but she is "early morning challenged" lol. She hates getting up early on weekends

Quick Reply: **POCONOS/SUSSEX/HARRIMAN E.60.NET MEET ON JULY 25TH***