Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Would you give gas to someone asking for it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me today. I was filling up my 5 when this guy came to ask me if I could spare him 9 gallons his mother is sick and he needs to get to her house and she lives 100 miles away and he don't have a job anymore. I felt bad for the guy so I filled up 9 gallons for him. I filled up $40 worth of gas for him.

I am watching a tv show on ABC right now "What would you do" and the same topic is on the show.....strangers asking for gas from other strangers. The person had a 30% success rate in getting gas from others.

Would you give gas to a stranger if they asked you?
Old 04-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Happened to me today. I was filling up my 5 when this guy came to ask me if I could spare him 9 gallons his mother is sick and he needs to get to her house and she lives 100 miles away and he don't have a job anymore. I felt bad for the guy so I filled up 9 gallons for him. I filled up $40 worth of gas for him.

I am watching a tv show on ABC right now "What would you do" and the same topic is on the show.....strangers asking for gas from other strangers. The person had a 30% success rate in getting gas from others.

Would you give gas to a stranger if they asked you?
i would have asked a few questions to see if he was bullshitting or not.
ask for the mom's number, name. act like you are going to call her.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
i would have asked a few questions to see if he was bullshitting or not.
ask for the mom's number, name. act like you are going to call her.
I didn't doubt the story. He was honestly about to cry. He said she was sick for a while and then things got worse and he really needs to get to her. Poor guy was driving a old rusty civic. He was asking other people before me and most people were simply ignoring him. One lady got me really pissed off "Get the fuck out of my face before I call my husband I don't care about you or your mother leave me alone". What the hell is your husband going to do? Come yell at him?

As I was filling up for him the lady kept looking at me like I was doing something wrong. Whoever was in the car she kept pointing at me then "whispering" to them. The hell?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I'm a big believer in karma. You just made a big deposit in the karma bank. Good for you

We often forget how fortunate we are, and it is to your credit that you did the right thing in helping someone less fortunate.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i with sport package and premium package..

Originally Posted by swajames
I'm a big believer in karma. You just made a big deposit in the karma bank. Good for you

We often forget how fortunate we are, and it is to your credit that you did the right thing in helping someone less fortunate.
X2
Old 04-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

that's cool of you. people are usually less giving in situation like this especially in nyc. good for you!!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

If he seemed legit and needed to put gas in and he looked like he really need it, I'll fill it up for him. If he asked me for $40 to fill it up, I'll tell him I'll put in the gas for him INSTEAD of giving him $40. Get him a gallon of water and a loaf of bread for the road too. I'll probably even give him my number in case his rusty Civic breaks down and I'll call Triple A for him so he can get help. I do get kind of crazy.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Members

Great story bro !

You said you " felt sorry for the guy "

How did you feel about yourself afer you gave him the free gas ?

If you believe you did the right thing then it's all good, sounds like you helped a stranger that needed help.
I agree that giving someone gas for there car is different that giving them money that could be used for drugs or alcohol.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

interesting enough I'm also watching the same show and I agree with the karma comment. What goes around comes around, I would likely give them gas because I wouldhope that one day if I needed that someone would be nice enough to help out.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung
interesting enough I'm also watching the same show and I agree with the karma comment. What goes around comes around, I would likely give them gas because I wouldhope that one day if I needed that someone would be nice enough to help out.
Lets hope none of us are ever in a situation like that.

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope the guy made it to his mothers and that she pulls through. If he had asked me for cash I would have not given him any. But since he asked me for gas and he looked like he was about to cry I had no doubt in my mind this guy was telling the truth.

Cleung I found it so sad how the last guy who barely spoke english helped out the actor...but when it was his turn no one helped him. Truly felt angered at that. Some of the people treated him like he was some sort of garbage.

Quick Reply: Would you give gas to someone asking for it?