Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Wirless Router

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

If you're trying to get wireless to every room in a 23 story building - how was this possible with home equipment? Home use equipment would never have a radio powerful enough to cover an entire floor of a hotel - especially with the walls being concrete and all the other interference (i.e. Electrical cabling, plumbing, other wireless networks in the area, etc)
Old 10-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by houbmw' post='1023070' date='Oct 2 2009, 12:34 PM
Ethernet is run into every room. My problem is that I need wi-fi in not just the lobby, but the entire hotel.
Just curious, why?

If you already have ethernet in every room, I'd assume you have a switch on every floor (or every other floor), then installing WAP's in strategic locations might solve your problem.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka' post='1023164' date='Oct 2 2009, 01:56 PM
Just curious, why?

If you already have ethernet in every room, I'd assume you have a switch on every floor (or every other floor), then installing WAP's in strategic locations might solve your problem.

if its for your business. In this situation i would use Cisco Wireless Indoor routers and access points. with this you can manage who has access and who pays for access. great investment with NO low speeds. works through rugged indoor environments. setup may need some technical expertise like myself. i work with Networks and System Administration for servers. if its in or around Ny area, we can set something up for floor plans and installation.

if you want to go the cheap route, you can get some nice Dlink routers and access points. but if you have 23 floors, you definitely need alot of equipment to maintain a good consistent signal. also you want security enabled and create a hotspot with customer authentication. you can have their login expire when they checkout. let me know... hope this helps
Old 10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 2exclusive' post='1023201' date='Oct 2 2009, 11:57 AM
if its for your business. In this situation i would use Cisco Wireless Indoor routers and access points. with this you can manage who has access and who pays for access. great investment with NO low speeds. works through rugged indoor environments. setup may need some technical expertise like myself. i work with Networks and System Administration for servers. if its in or around Ny area, we can set something up for floor plans and installation.

if you want to go the cheap route, you can get some nice Dlink routers and access points. but if you have 23 floors, you definitely need alot of equipment to maintain a good consistent signal. also you want security enabled and create a hotspot with customer authentication. you can have their login expire when they checkout. let me know... hope this helps

Cisco is good, but way too expensive (overpriced). D-link is a cheaper solution to do the same thing, the 3024 has the same features of the Cisco solution - just about 40% off the price tag. There are a lot of IT guys here, wow, I have been designing networks for 14 years now and it is always fun to exchange ideas. I was a big Cisco guy (CCNP) and have come to realize people buy Cisco because it has almost become ubiquitous - like Kleenex, there are cheaper tissues that are just as good, but a lot of people simply ask for a Kleenex.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1023212' date='Oct 2 2009, 08:07 PM
Cisco is good, but way too expensive (overpriced). D-link is a cheaper solution to do the same thing, the 3024 has the same features of the Cisco solution - just about 40% off the price tag. There are a lot of IT guys here, wow, I have been designing networks for 14 years now and it is always fun to exchange ideas. I was a big Cisco guy (CCNP) and have come to realize people buy Cisco because it has almost become ubiquitous - like Kleenex, there are cheaper tissues that are just as good, but a lot of people simply ask for a Kleenex.
Yup agree with that, Juniper and Extreme are much better kit.
Cisco trade on their name, their phone systems are very feature poor in comparision to some of the bigger comms names, yet they're much more expensive.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by chris f' post='1023218' date='Oct 2 2009, 12:16 PM
Yup agree with that, Juniper and Extreme are much better kit.
Cisco trade on their name, their phone systems are very feature poor in comparision to some of the bigger comms names, yet they're much more expensive.

Extreme - really popular in Europe due to Cisco's price points. Juniper, much better as Core devices than actual LAN equipment - great if you're an ISP, so-so i you are a normal company. Cisco actually has hundreds of features, the problem is you are made to pay for all of them if you need them or not.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i / Black Sapphire / Premium / Navigation / Bluetooth / PDC / USB Audio Integration / 6 Speed Sport Automatic with Steptronic / Logic 7 / Comfort Access / Auto Folding Mirrors / Comfort Seats / Rear Heated Seats / 35% Tint All Around / Black Dakota Leather

2Extreme is on the right track. His advise is very good.

I would put WAPs on each floor and definitely enable security. Otherwise Joe Blow on the street can access your Internet connection.

What does your current setup look like? You should start there and then we can advise your appropriately.

I have lots of network experience and some wireless experience. With all our heads combined I'm sure we can figure out the least expensive alternative for you, but for a 24 story hotel you really need equipment at the enterprise level.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW4Ever' post='1023257' date='Oct 2 2009, 03:49 PM
2Extreme is on the right track. His advise is very good.

I would put WAPs on each floor and definitely enable security. Otherwise Joe Blow on the street can access your Internet connection.

What does your current setup look like? You should start there and then we can advise your appropriately.

I have lots of network experience and some wireless experience. With all our heads combined I'm sure we can figure out the least expensive alternative for you, but for a 24 story hotel you really need equipment at the enterprise level.

great ideas guys... alot of techs on this forum!!! any major side jobs come about we can ask around for some help... make some extra cash to hook up your e60's lol.... im always looking for work, so come across any big jobs i can use some help so people can earn cash... vice versa
Old 10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by 2exclusive' post='1023299' date='Oct 2 2009, 04:43 PM
great ideas guys... alot of techs on this forum!!! any major side jobs come about we can ask around for some help... make some extra cash to hook up your e60's lol.... im always looking for work, so come across any big jobs i can use some help so people can earn cash... vice versa
I've had some extra work come my way but not quite enough to cover all these mods and baby etc..etc...but I'll always keep fellow members in mind if something comes up I need help with.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

So i was wondering why everybody was saying 23 floors and it looks like i mistyped lol. Thats the damn iphone for you! Sorry for all the confusion...I meant to say 2 story! what a big difference lol. I am so sorry once again.

Quick Reply: Wirless Router