Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

What's the most car-friendly area

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Better yet, what's the most E60-friendly area within a 40-minute commute by public transportation from midtown Manhattan?

I know that the forum is bigger than NYC, and I apologize if anyone thinks this is a waste of time, or smth. Just curious what everybody thinks, so I posted in lounge

I live in Sheepshead Bay/Gravesend area of Brooklyn right now and not only is it about hour and twenty mins door-to-door to Times Sq., but I don't think I have to even mention that either way you drive in or out of Brooklyn, you'll either have to slow down for potholes all the time, or crack rims, basically.

Since we are thinking about moving soon, I am thinking to try and move to an area with slightly better conditions for car ownership. Hopefully.

All the best to everybody!

V.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

ahh.. seriously? vald your buying a house? moving out of brooklyn.. getting married? eh? you going to nj? how much you looking to spend.. dont forget taxes, etc..
Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Contributors

by my moms house in Huntington Station. It is an hour train ride including the transfer in Jamaca.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by melimel
ahh.. seriously? vald your buying a house? moving out of brooklyn.. getting married? eh? you going to nj? how much you looking to spend.. dont forget taxes, etc..
No, Mel, unfortunately not buying right now We've discovered mold in our apartment and my neighbor told me his apartment has it as well, so basically its probably the whole building, my neighbor complained and they basically repainted the walls so we've made up our minds that we want to move out of this hell-hole. Not sure we're moving out of Brooklyn just yet though - saw a couple of condos today and soon-to-be future missus V_therussian is probably planning where to put the furniture already hahaha but still haven't signed anything anywhere - really would like to shorten my commute to the city if possible... so Staten Island is out hahaha

We saw a couple of places out in JC over this past weekend - Newport section and so forth - some AH-maaaazing views. There was this one place in particular on the 28th floor overlooking the entire Manhattan skyline... whoa

Originally Posted by craigm1841
by my moms house in Huntington Station. It is an hour train ride including the transfer in Jamaca.
I'd rather buy my mom's house in sunny Finland, bro
Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

How much is your budget for rent? If you can go 1500-2000 a month, I would suggest Westchester county. I lived in the town of West Harrison (near White Plains), and it was 40 minutes door to door to Grand Central. Metro North is however, expensive ($350.00 a month).

Westchester county is really nice, with the exception of some areas in Yonkers, Mount Vernon, and also certain sections of White Plains.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
How much is your budget for rent? If you can go 1500-2000 a month, I would suggest Westchester county. I lived in the town of West Harrison (near White Plains), and it was 40 minutes door to door to Grand Central. Metro North is however, expensive ($350.00 a month).

Westchester county is really nice, with the exception of some areas in Yonkers, Mount Vernon, and also certain sections of White Plains.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks!

Actually, we are lucky enough to have an even greater budget than that, but it doesn't mean we want to pay that much I'd rather be modding hahaha

Yes, I've considered Westchester. I actually have lived in Irvington (the one by Tapan Zee Br.) a few years ago - yes, it is a very car-friendly area... until it snows hahaha but yes, it is a very good place to live and a great place for car ownership. The only issue is the commute from there, like you you said. But there are some gorgeous apts there with Hudson views and nice amenities. I don't think there are any new construction buildings there though

What about Fort Lee area? Anyone from there? How's the commute these days? Used to be nice - over the bridge and onto the blue line.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Thanks!

Actually, we are lucky enough to have an even greater budget than that, but it doesn't mean we want to pay that much I'd rather be modding hahaha

Yes, I've considered Westchester. I actually have lived in Irvington (the one by Tapan Zee Br.) a few years ago - yes, it is a very car-friendly area... until it snows hahaha but yes, it is a very good place to live and a great place for car ownership. The only issue is the commute from there, like you you said. But there are some gorgeous apts there with Hudson views and nice amenities. I don't think there are any new construction buildings there though

What about Fort Lee area? Anyone from there? How's the commute these days? Used to be nice - over the bridge and onto the blue line.
Fort Lee is a pretty shady area from my experience, lol. I have an uncle that lives there, and its not by choice. Think Crown Heights

As far as new buildings in Westchester, the Trump New Rochelle comes to mind. But its like $400,000 for a studio, $550,000+++ for a two bedroom. Downtown White Plains also has the residences at the Ritz Carlton, which are even pricier.

Irvington is a beautiful town, and one of the more upscale areas in Westchester.

There are lots of good choices in Westchester to be honest, not sure about Jersey as much though.

Good luck with the hunt!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Westchester is all about which train station you leave from. From White plains to Grand Central can be as short as 31 minutes, with most about 35 - 36 minutes, depending upon how many stops. North of White Plains there are very few express trains, so commute times increase.