Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

What exactly is a debt to income ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

Does this debt to income ratio include the home mortgage? And is this ratio pre or post-tax?

How about the cars? Thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Generally speaking, this is used by financial institutions to establish credit worthiness and mostly used when applying for mortgages. It is typically done with simple math using gross income against all outstanding debt, including cars, mortgage(s), credit cards, unsecured/secured loans, etc.

General acceptable debt-to-income ratios is 33/38 meaning that housing expenses can't exceed thirty-three percent of your monthly income. Your total monthly payment can take no more than thirty-eight percent. There is math involved and if you have a decent down payment (20-30%)and/or excellent credit, these numbers flex.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Contributors

You know what was weird? When I lived in America, I opened a bank account for my salary to be paid into and after a while took their offer of a credit card but I never used it. After a couple of years they asked me if I wanted a free credit check (some law had allowed up to 3 free credit checks or something). I got one and it wasn't perfect. I asked why and they said something about me not having had any debts. So apparently, having debts and paying them off on a regular basis is better than not having any at all. How strange is that?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by DD_545i
So apparently, having debts and paying them off on a regular basis is better than not having any at all. How strange is that?
In a way that makes sense.

If one never has had any debt [never used credit] it would be difficult to establish credit worthiness.

sixcard
Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

You know what was weird? When I lived in America, I opened a bank account for my salary to be paid into and after a while took their offer of a credit card but I never used it. After a couple of years they asked me if I wanted a free credit check (some law had allowed up to 3 free credit checks or something). I got one and it wasn't perfect. I asked why and they said something about me not having had any debts. So apparently, having debts and paying them off on a regular basis is better than not having any at all. How strange is that?
You'll probably have also suffered through having a short credit history in addition to sixcard's point in his post. The model here is based on predictability and precedent - anyone with too short a history, or anyone without a verifiable ability to manage debt, is going to struggle. It's not how responsible or careful you are or may be, - it's all about your ability to demonstrate it.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Not strange at all. It would be like hiring a "great" footballer who has never played a game.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Contributors

25% is considered excellent and financially fiscal

you also get better offers and interest rates
Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard
In a way that makes sense.

If one never has had any debt [never used credit] it would be difficult to establish credit worthiness.

sixcard
Originally Posted by swajames
You'll probably have also suffered through having a short credit history in addition to sixcard's point in his post. The model here is based on predictability and precedent - anyone with too short a history, or anyone without a verifiable ability to manage debt, is going to struggle. It's not how responsible or careful you are or may be, - it's all about your ability to demonstrate it.
I see your points, but I forgot to mention, I had over $50k in a savings account with them and it was going up and up by a few thousand a month. I understand though that the credit rating is a points based system. Everything you do is either positive or negative towards your score. Taking out a loan and paying it on time gives you extra plus points. Doing nothing doesn't add any points.

I feel like I've hijacked this thread and I'm feeling guilty for it.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

$50K in savings doesn't mean anything in this case. If you never used credit, the credit unions probably don't even know about you or the $50K.

sixcard
Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard
$50K in savings doesn't mean anything in this case. If you never used credit, the credit unions probably don't even know about you or the $50K.

sixcard
Glad I don't have any plans to take on any kind of credit in the future then. Having not had any since about 1991 I might struggle to get any (except from my own banks).

Quick Reply: What exactly is a debt to income ratio?